• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Bus 865 appears to have a panel on the front with the new logo and fleet of the future livery even though the rest of the bus is in the older livery, whilst 869 has a panel on the front with the old logo and old livery whilst Being in the fleet of the future livery? Was this a mistake while checking on the buses?

865: 20200924_080025_exported_16021_1600930962993.jpg869: 20200923_154220.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BobScott

Bus 865 appears to have a panel on the front with the new logo and fleet of the future livery even though the rest of the bus is in the older livery, whilst 869 has a panel on the front with the old logo and old livery whilst Being in the fleet of the future livery? Was this a mistake while checking on the buses?

865: View attachment 83871869: View attachment 83870
865 looks like a temporary fix to keep the bus in service.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
865 looks like a temporary fix to keep the bus in service.

That panel is just held on by clips, it's not uncommon for it to "fall off" or unclip over a harsh bump. Likewise the panel that houses the main headlights is hinged at the sides and just pushes in place, if a bulb has just been changed and the panel hasn't been shut properly it can easily open again over a bump.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Lothian are running a virtual Doors Open Day this year: https://twitter.com/on_lothianbuses/status/1306867580947312640
Confirmed as this Saturday (26th September).

We're taking a wee walk down memory lane with these #ThrowbackThursday pics from the last few #DoorsOpenDays at Central!

Although it can't go ahead this year, we're pleased to say we'll be hosting a virtual event this Saturday (26 Sept).

Keep an eye on our social feeds...

13h202

I think that had started before as the first few even appeared with Lothian City fleetnames before being quickly reverted to the Lothian ones with the "we pretend to like and interwork with the trams happily" circle logo.

Not sure about the retrim internally though.
Speaking of... anybody know of any plans to abandon the god-awful “Lothiancity” branding on the XLBs? To most people, it is just confusing because the majority of city services operate under the standard “Lothian” brand anyway and the XLBs are just any other bus.

As a bit of a branding geek, Lothian’s marketing department give me a sore head!

scosutsut

Speaking of... anybody know of any plans to abandon the god-awful “Lothiancity” branding on the XLBs? To most people, it is just confusing because the majority of city services operate under the standard “Lothian” brand anyway and the XLBs are just any other bus.

As a bit of a branding geek, Lothian’s marketing department give me a sore head!
So it's not just me it triggers! I'm not particularly taken by either one but I wish they'd pick one and stick with it and bring the others into line with it.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Its from one of the Eclipses in reserve.
I doubt that, as bus 826 also appears to have the wrong logo / livery on the front panel (Bus 826 is in the Fleet of the Future livery, but has a panel with the old logo, it includes the gold stripe at the top of the panel). Bus 826 & Bus 825 could easily have accidentally swapped.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I doubt that, as bus 826 also appears to have the wrong logo / livery on the front panel (Bus 826 is in the Fleet of the Future livery, but has a panel with the old logo, it includes the gold stripe at the top of the panel). Bus 826 & Bus 825 could easily have accidentally swapped.
why doubt it? thats what happens, some have had them swapped over when they were both off the road (833 and 885 earlier this year)

buslad1988

I know it's a swap, but Omnicity said it is from Eclipse 1's which I doubt. I think it's just a Gemini 1 swap.
Does it really matter? So long as a panel’s there it’s a quick fix and the bus is back on the road. Yes; may not be to Lothians usual standards but undoubtedly only a temporary measure. Thanks for bringing to everyones attention though.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I know it's a swap, but Omnicity said it is from Eclipse 1's which I doubt. I think it's just a Gemini 1 swap.
Why does it A) Matter where its come from and B) why doubt it? eclipses and geminis have the exact same front and aswell as that Omnicity 999 is a reliable source of info here so i’m a lot more inclined to believe him than you

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Okay, I think we can move on from Panelgate - it's a trivial matter that's really not adding much to the discussion :)

Lothiangem22

None of the ex London’s operating on route 2 today despite it being pretty solidly operated by them since longstone reopening, they seem to be solely on 33/34.
Are there more fleet movements due shortly?

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
None of the ex London’s operating on route 2 today despite it being pretty solidly operated by them since longstone reopening, they seem to be solely on 33/34.
Are there more fleet movements due shortly?

Bus 10 is also operating out of Longstone on 30s today, appears to be on the last one out of the garage (21). Was hoping it was just there for a flying visit! :lol:

Hopefully the new ones will be out in the next few weeks.

Thoughts on the older B9TLs on the 2s - looking at them I think it's mainly the ones with roller blinds, maybe it's to allow LED destination vehicles onto buses operating to Heriot-Watt to show the correct destination? (Also the 3/33 as there were rollers showing Dalkeith in lieu of Dalkeith Campus and Baberton/Clovenstone instead of Wester Hailes).

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Bus 10 is also operating out of Longstone on 30s today, appears to be on the last one out of the garage (21). Was hoping it was just there for a flying visit! :lol:

Hopefully the new ones will be out in the next few weeks.

Thoughts on the older B9TLs on the 2s - looking at them I think it's mainly the ones with roller blinds, maybe it's to allow LED destination vehicles onto buses operating to Heriot-Watt to show the correct destination? (Also the 3/33 as there were rollers showing Dalkeith in lieu of Dalkeith Campus and Baberton/Clovenstone instead of Wester Hailes).
Good idea. The current buses on the 2 also have higher capacity, as lately all the 2's I've been on were pretty much full, which is helpful, especially during the pandemic.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Good idea. The current buses on the 2 also have higher capacity, as lately all the 2's I've been on were pretty much full, which is helpful, especially during the pandemic.
The 2 hardly ever gets busy even on single deckers.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Just must be luck then, as the 2's I have been on lately have been really busy, which is probably why Double Deckers are still on it.
The 2 rarely gets double figuers in passenger numbers, especially during this whole time of restrictions its been worse

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The 2 hardly ever gets busy even on single deckers.

I've been driving the 2 almost every shift for the last few weeks (infact I had it all day Mon/Tue/Wed just this week) and I can tell you that's absolutely not true!

Some journeys are quiet, yes, some journeys would be fine with a single decker if social distancing wasn't required but I've done some that were almost full upstairs and downstairs and absolutely needed a double deck.

It's getting busier week on week, the extra capacity on the 30 with the new buses will also be a big help.

Last edited:

Lothiangem22

I've been driving the 2 almost every shift for the last few weeks (infact I had it all day Mon/Tue/Wed just this week) and I can tell you that's absolutely not true!

Some journeys are quiet, yes, some journeys would be fine with a single decker if social distancing wasn't required but I've done some that were almost full upstairs and downstairs and absolutely needed a double deck and it's getting busier week on week.

Agreed... I have driven it a lot recently and have found some days where it has been extremely busy. Aside from the full route itself, it compliments the western 1/22 section between gorgie and stenhouse and eastern 30 section between surgeons hall and niddrie where you can get a high volume of shorter trips.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Agreed... I have driven it a lot recently and have found some days where it has been extremely busy. Aside from the full route itself, it compliments the western 1/22 section between gorgie and stenhouse and eastern 30 section between surgeons hall and niddrie where you can get a high volume of shorter trips.

Exactly, people need to remember that unlike some railway routes, bus routes aren't necessarily designed "end to end". In fact, the only route as such is Airlink, even then, that picks up and drops off a lot of the route.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Agreed in full - it's only really quiet when you've got a 1/22/30/14 etc (or more than one of whatever combination) in front of you.

People just tend to pile onto the first bus that comes, even if it's a pretty full 30 and a 2/14 is behind with a double deck at the same stop for the same journey they're making.

scosutsut

As previously reported Ex 20795-20800 now in service with Stagecoach on tram replacement. Appear to have been allocated the exact same fleetnumbers going by the photographer (somewhat ironic as they appear to have been removed along with ECB fleetnames):

Photos belong to the photographer, credit on links.

Having seen an ex First Gemini in beachball I'd really love to see one of these gain the new Stagecoach Soap Powder livery (what are we calling it? Does it have a name? The bus you can believe in?) Can't see it though.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
As previously reported Ex 20795-20800 now in service with Stagecoach on tram replacement. Appear to have been allocated the exact same fleetnumbers going by the photographer (somewhat ironic as they appear to have been removed along with ECB fleetnames):

Having seen an ex First Gemini in beachball I'd really love to see one of these gain the new Stagecoach Soap Powder livery (what are we calling it? Does it have a name? The bus you can believe in?) Can't see it though.

Haven't some moved onto another Stagecoach depot, allegedly for regular service use? (read it on a Facebook group last night but I can't find the post). I believe it was two vehicles.

scosutsut

Haven't some moved onto another Stagecoach depot, allegedly for regular service use? (read it on a Facebook group last night but I can't find the post). I believe it was two vehicles.
Possible, photos are from the 14th of September bar one which was from the 20th.

cnjb8

Established Member

Stagecoach have kept the ECB fleetnumbers as the Geminis are only temporary.