• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
if it has it will have been sold to a preservationist as its still got full logos/fleet numbers etc..

that doesn't necessarily mean it has been sold to a preservationist.

After having a look, it appears to be at Volvo in Broxburn - which is something we do fairly regularly, especially now since we're using less vans.

This could mean anything, could mean sale, could mean MOT, service, Tachograph installation or tachograph service. Or even wlldcard options, being used to pick up parts, being used to shuttle drivers etc (with new Volvo based vehicles due, this pops out at me). or a mixture of all.

Last edited:

Auld reekie

Has anyone any idea why the No44 drivers are doing their change over at the Water of Leith Centre instead of Kingsknowe?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Has anyone any idea why the No44 drivers are doing their change over at the Water of Leith Centre instead of Kingsknowe?

Reduction of vans in use for reliefs, no vans being used for the 38 either - drivers have to make our own way there except for Sundays. Same reason the 22 and 23 have gone to Central.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Reduction of vans in use for reliefs, no vans being used for the 38 either - drivers have to make our own way there except for Sundays. Same reason the 22 and 23 have gone to Central.
cheers.

Thanks.
Where do the No4 drivers change over?
£6,000-£10,000/year to run each van. The vans and cars we previously had were nearing triple digits.

Only Engineering, interdepartmental and East Coast/Lothian Country have use of vans and cars now.

Another contributing cost was excess mileage. Alot of the vans in the fleet were leased.

Even then, the use of vacant buses is preferred. As their already taxed, insured, MOT'd, fuel and good to go

CN04NRJ

Established Member
£6,000-£10,000/year to run each van. The vans and cars we previously had were nearing triple digits.

Only Engineering, interdepartmental and East Coast/Lothian Country have use of vans and cars now.

Another contributing cost was excess mileage. Alot of the vans in the fleet were leased.

Even then, the use of vacant buses is preferred. As their already taxed, insured, MOT'd, fuel and good to go

There's still van usage at Longstone - for the 2 to Stenhouse Drive (not sure why as it's not far to walk - I certainly didn't mind it anyway). I believe there's 6 vans in use at Longstone for driver changeovers - the 400 certainly still is van but not sure about other decker routes.

Auld reekie

Quite a big outlay.

overthewater

Established Member

What an waste of money, its like all the secrets are coming out now, One hopes once all the cust cutting has finished Lothian will be on a better footing.

route101

Established Member
Do the drivers generally use their own cars to get to relief points or use service buses ?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Do the drivers generally use their own cars to get to relief points or use service buses ?

Own cars aren't allowed - how would it get back to the garage? Or to a safe place? Whose responsible if theres an incident. Thats a massive insurance no-no.

Saying that, i have known drivers scheduled on Kings Road routed services to park at Aldi and take up service from there.

Used to be vans, still is for some points but generally on foot, by bus or they take a vacant bus from the depot.

Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Established Member
Own cars aren't allowed - how would it get back to the garage? Or to a safe place? Whose responsible if theres an incident. Thats a massive insurance no-no.

Saying that, i have known drivers scheduled on Kings Road routed services to park at Aldi and take up service from there.

Used to be vans, still is for some points but generally on foot, by bus or they take a vafant bus from the depot.

I was wondering, i thought it can be risky if the buses are unrealiable.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I was wondering, i thought it can be risky if the buses are unrealiable.
What better way to advertise your service - get the staff to use it.

What an waste of money, its like all the secrets are coming out now, One hopes once all the cust cutting has finished Lothian will be on a better footing.
Its always been available by FOI...

At one point shuttle vans were an integral part of the service. I believe there even used to be a staff bus service that would go to key areas in the city to pick people up to bring them to work, long before my time, mind.

overthewater

Established Member
its all in plain sight but still. Driver hub is the City centre is a smarter use of money than vans.

scosutsut

In big businesses it's not unusual for something that is inefficient but normal process to go completely unchallenged, to the point that if someone questions it everyone says "dunno it's always been that way"

New management (or focus) comes in and suddenly said process is torn apart and everyone wonders why it wasn't done years ago because it seems so obvious a saving to get.

Suspect that's 100% the scenario here.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I hadn't realised Lothian didn't have a staff hub in the city centre, it seems quite a wasteful move doing change overs at random spots around the city shuttling drivers back/forth in company vehicles. They must be pretty much the only larger operator in Scotland who still do that.

In big businesses it's not unusual for something that is inefficient but normal process to go completely unchallenged, to the point that if someone questions it everyone says "dunno it's always been that way"

New management (or focus) comes in and suddenly said process is torn apart and everyone wonders why it wasn't done years ago because it seems so obvious a saving to get.

Agree, as an outsider it seems very bizarre, but i suppose for those in the company for a long time it's the "norm". Still i'm glad that new management are at least making an effort to rid the company of it's endless (sarcasm) inefficiencies.

scotrail158713

Established Member

Yep, sounds like it. I suppose it makes sense as well.

OmniCity999

Established Member

I suspect you're correct.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Used to be vans, still is for some points but generally on foot, by bus or they take a vacant bus from the depot.

With the 38 reliefs at Balgreen I'll take my car down if I'm finishing there just so I can go straight home - it was the same before with the 2 when it was a walking relief to Stenhouse Drive.

Never really understood why Balgreen was a van relief before when there's such a frequent bus service with the 30/34/25/3/33 between the Longstone area and Balgreen/Gorgie Road.

Last edited:

Swanny200

I used to see one of the Transit Connects parked down at Broomhouse Workspace regularly when we lived there, used to find it strange with being so close to Longstone a bus stop a few yards away with services that took you round there.

generally on foot, by bus or they take a vacant bus from the depot.
I can imagine using a vacant bus for driver transfer might be a little frowned upon in some circles. At 5 miles per gallon, risk of getting stuck, low bridges and so on. There's also an argument that a bus is an asset prepped at great expense for fare-paying customer use, not just to have lying around for driver convenience.
But as you say, carrying a large number of vans for short journeys is maybe a bit of a luxury. No doubt bikes will be the way of the future. Actually maybe that's not such a bad idea....

Last edited:

Auld reekie

I can imagine using a vacant bus for driver transfer might be a little frowned upon on some circles. At 5 miles per gallon, risk of getting stuck, low bridges and so on. There's also an argument that a bus is an asset prepped at great expense for fare-paying customer use, not just to have lying around for driver convenience.
But as you say, carrying a large number of vans for short journeys is maybe a bit of a luxury. No doubt bikes will be the way of the future. Actually maybe that's not such a bad idea....
The healthy option.