• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
XLB 1064 has left for Sheffield today to take part in the open day/runninng day at First South Yorkshires Olive Grove depot’s 60th Anniversary tomorrow. Seems strange to see a Lothian service vehicle travel 200 miles to a First bus open day, bet that will rile up some hardcore Lothian enthusiasts

Why would it rile anyone up?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Why would it rile anyone up?
The very very small minority of Lothian enthusiasts, who hate First so much that they don't even refer to it by its name, certainly won’t be fans of a Lothian vehicle taking part at First open day. Don't ask me why they get annoyed at First so much - I have no idea why.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedbirdA350

The very very small minority of Lothian enthusiasts who hate first so much they dont even refer to it by its name certainly won’t be fan of a Lothian vehicle taking part at First open day. Dont ask me why they get annoyed at First so much I have no idea why
I've said it before, but this is the type of attitude I will never understand. It's a BUS company that takes people from point A to point B and unless you own shares in it, then why would you care so much to not even say 'First'? It's sad.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I've said it before, but this is the type of attitude I will never understand. It's a BUS company that takes people from point A to point B and unless you own shares in it, then why would you care so much to not even say 'First'? It's sad.

To be fair that can go both ways, but at the end of the day they are both bus companies that do their job to the public and everyone will have their preferences on operators and I can’t imagine that will change, but above all else we can just be mature adults and respect each others opinions and not be immature, First and Lothian are both big operators and they both do their job perfectly fine!

Auld reekie

XLB 1064 has left for Sheffield today to take part in the open day/running day at First South Yorkshire's Olive Grove depot’s 60th Anniversary tomorrow. It seems strange to see a Lothian service vehicle travel 200 miles to a First bus open day and I bet that will rile up some hardcore Lothian enthusiasts.
I'm totally gutted about it.:D

LiviCrazy

Was on one of the new buses running in the 21 today. Very comfortable. Have to say I found the announcements a lot less intrusive than some of the previous journeys. Slightly quieter but audible and no constant safety announcements.

The Rare function on the Lothian Vehicle Finder hasn't been working for ages so I'm not sure if this has been happening and I just haven't noticed, but I noticed last night that 1053 (a Lothian vehicle) was tracking on route 113 (an East Coast Buses route), and then this morning 356 (again Lothian) seems to be tracking on the X27 (a Lothian Country route); is this actually occurring and is this regular now, or have the trackers just been swapped between vehicles?
I know the swapping of trackers can happen but it would surprise me if they are swapped between operating companies.

The Rare function on the Lothian Vehicle Finder hasn't been working for ages so I'm not sure if this has been happening and I just haven't noticed, but I noticed last night that 1053 (a Lothian vehicle) was tracking on route 113 (an East Coast Buses route), and then this morning 356 (again Lothian) seems to be tracking on the X27 (a Lothian Country route); is this actually occurring and is this regular now, or have the trackers just been swapped between vehicles?
I know the swapping of trackers can happen but it would surprise me if they are swapped between operating companies.
@GregA.

First of all 356.
I don't think the trackers have been swapped as the tracking map prior to SN11 EBD being on service X27 showed the bus departing Central depot as represented in this image here:
Screenshot_20210822-100851_DuckDuckGo.jpg
And the current map of the X27:
Screenshot_20210822-100856_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Also note it departed from Edinburgh at 09:06 instead of it's scheduled time off 08:45. I believe this is due to a breakdown.

Last of all 1053.
As you can see on this map it's a similar situation, the bus leaving Central depot to Princes Street (this was yesterday):
Screenshot_20210822-101735_DuckDuckGo.jpg
And then on the 113 after that as represented in the map below:
Screenshot_20210822-102015_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Again, I suspect this to be a breakdown.

The reason I think they're loans as it appears that Central depot was closer in both cases.

Sources to find these on bustimes.org:
356; https://bustimes.org/vehicles/14182?date=2021-08-22#
1053;

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
When posting images, could we please remember that not everyone has a super-duper fast internet connection or unlimited data. Huge images take a long time to load on a slow connection.

Either

• Reduce the image size before uploading your image to the forum, or;
  • Refrain from posting inline (that is alongside text), but leave them as attachments. This way they can still be viewed full-size by clicking/tapping on the thumbnail, but it gives people the choice.

@GregA.

First of all 356.
I don't think the trackers have been swapped as the tracking map prior to SN11 EBD being on service X27 showed the bus departing Central depot as represented in this image here:
View attachment 101461
And the current map of the X27:
View attachment 101462
Also note it departed from Edinburgh at 09:06 instead of it's scheduled time off 08:45. I believe this is due to a breakdown.

Last of all 1053.
As you can see on this map it's a similar situation, the bus leaving Central depot to Princes Street (this was yesterday):
View attachment 101463
And then on the 113 after that as represented in the map below:
View attachment 101464
Again, I suspect this to be a breakdown.

The reason I think they're loans as it appears that Central depot was closer in both cases.

Sources to find these on bustimes.org:
356; https://bustimes.org/vehicles/14182?date=2021-08-22#
1053;
Ah ok, thanks for that.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Service change from Sunday 12th September is expected

Further network changes will be implemented to the Lothian networks from Sunday 12th September in response to the easing of current COVID restrictions with some few changes to help improve the network.

Full details, including links to timetables, are available to view below.

Service change

Lothian Buses

Service 2
Minor Timetable Change

Service 7
Revised Route and Timetable with the route extended from Newhaven to Ocean Terminal to replace Service 11

Service 11
Service withdrawn due to low passenger demand, replaced by extended Service 7

Service 15/X15
Revised Route and Timetable, buses now run between Hillend and Tollcross with two buses during peak time running as (X15)

Service 16
Minor Timetable change

Service 19
Revised Route with buses now running a one way loop in Portobello via St Harry Lauder Road, Brighton Place and terminating at Portobello High Street, journeys previously terminating at Leith Street will now be extended to Portobello

Service 21
Revised Route and Timetable the route in Clovenstone is extended to serve the 3/30 terminus

Service 23
Service withdrawn due to low passenger numbers

Service 26
Revised Timetable with buses running every 30 minutes during the day

Service 30
Revised Timetable with additional journeys from Clovenstone during the day running to Newcraighall Station to support capacity issues

Service 31
Revised Route with Polton Mill journeys now extended to Rosewell

Service 32
NEW SERVICE
Balerno to Fort Kinnaird running Monday to Sunday every 30 minutes via Currie, Wester Hailes, Sighthill,
Drum Brae, Davidson Mains, Granton, Newhaven, Leith, Seafield, Portobello and Brunstane

Service 33
Revised Route with buses from Sheriffhall extended to Dalkeith Campus

Service 36
Revised Timetable with even later journeys during the week

Service 38
Revised Timetable

Service 45
Revised Timetable with a brand new Saturday service

Service 48
Revised Route with buses now terminating in Fort Kinnaird centre

Service 200
Revised Timetable to co-ordinate with new Service 32 between Drum Brae and Leith

Service 300
Revisee Route and Timetable, buses now terminate at Corn Exchange due to low passenger numbers and the last journey from Edinburgh Airport departs at 1600

Service 400

Lothian Country

Service X18
Revised Route with Buses now extended from Whitburn to Fauldhouse following the 281 route

Service X19
NEW SERVICE
Blackridge to Edinburgh running Monday to Sunday every 30 minutes via
Armadale, Bathgate, Livingston, Dedridge, Kirknewton, Balerno, Currie, Slateford, West Approach Road

Service 275
Revised Route with buses now extended to Edinburgh Park

Service 276
Revised Route with buses now extended to Gyle Centre, the route between Broxburn and Newbridge is altered to service Winchburgh and Kirkliston

Service 280
Service withdrawn replaced by new Service X19

East Coast Buses

Service X5
Service reintroduced Monday to Saturday

Service X7
Additinal peak time rushes with buses terminating at Haddington to help capacity issues

Service 104
Revised Route the city centre terminus will be Semple Street, for Haymarket see X7 or 124

Service 106
Revised Route and Timetable with buses to Fort Kinnaird extending to the Royal Infirmary via the Wisp, additionally later buses from Haddington/Dunbar will extend to the Royal Infirmary

Service 124
Revised Route the city centre terminus will be Haymarket, for Semple Street see X5 or 104

Service 140
Revised Route and Timetable with buses now extended to Ocean Terminal via Portobello, Seafield and Leith (Monday to Saturday only) additionally Midlothian’s fare zone will be altered to be in Zone B

V The Link to this article and Timetables attached is below V

www.Aprilfools.com

If you made it this far then gotcha!! Sorry for the prank I thought it would be funny :D

alexf380

Established Member
Some interesting ideas, and some believable ideas! The Eastcoast stuff is just a bit too far fetched though. :lol:

Driver rotas, at least at ECB, are changing on 12th Sept so keep your eyes peeled over the next couple of weeks for an announcement.

Further network changes will be implemented to the Lothian networks from Sunday 12th September in response to the easing of current COVID restrictions with some few changes to help improve the network.

Service change

Lothian Buses

Service 2
Minor Timetable Change

Service 7
Revised Route and Timetable with the route extended from Newhaven to Ocean Terminal to replace Service 11

Service 11

Service 15/X15
Revised Route and Timetable, buses now run between Hillend and Tollcross with two buses during peak time running as (X15)

Service 16
Minor Timetable change

Service 19
Revised Route with buses now running a one way loop in Portobello via St Harry Lauder Road, Brighton Place and terminating at Portobello High Street, journeys previously terminating at Leith Street will now be extended to Portobello

Service 21
Revised Route and Timetable the route in Clovenstone is extended to serve the 3/30 terminus

Service 23

Service 26

Service 30
Revised Timetable with additional journeys from Clovenstone during the day running to Newcraighall Station to support capacity issues

Service 31

Service 32
NEW SERVICE
Balerno to Fort Kinnaird running Monday to Sunday every 30 minutes via Currie, Wester Hailes, Sighthill,
Drum Brae, Davidson Mains, Granton, Newhaven, Leith, Seafield, Portobello and Brunstane

Service 33

Service 36

Service 38
Revised Timetable

Service 45

Service 48

Service 200
Revised Timetable to co-ordinate with new Service 32 between Drum Brae and Leith

Service 300
Revisee Route and Timetable, buses now terminate at Corn Exchange due to low passenger numbers and the last journey from Edinburgh Airport departs at 1600

Service 400

Lothian Country

Service X18
Revised Route with Buses now extended from Whitburn to Fauldhouse following the 281 route

Service X19
NEW SERVICE
Armadale, Bathgate, Livingston, Dedridge, Kirknewton, Balerno, Currie, Slateford, West Approach Road

Service 275

Service 276
Revised Route with buses now extended to Gyle Centre, the route between Broxburn and Newbridge is altered to service Winchburgh and Kirkliston

Service 280

East Coast Buses

Service X5

Service X7
Additinal peak time rushes with buses terminating at Haddington to help capacity issues

Service 104
Revised Route the city centre terminus will be Semple Street, for Haymarket see X7 or 124

Service 106
Revised Route and Timetable with buses to Fort Kinnaird extending to the Royal Infirmary via the Wisp, additionally later buses from Haddington/Dunbar will extend to the Royal Infirmary

Service 124
Revised Route the city centre terminus will be Haymarket, for Semple Street see X5 or 104

Service 140
Revised Route and Timetable with buses now extended to Ocean Terminal via Portobello, Seafield and Leith (Monday to Saturday only) additionally Midlothian’s fare zone will be altered to be in Zone B

www.Aprilfools.com

If you made it this far then gotcha!! Sorry for the prank I thought it would be funny :D
Fair play @TheEastCoaster :lol: .

I believed it up until the link.

Auld reekie

Service change

Lothian Buses

Service 2
Minor Timetable Change

Service 7

Service 11

Service 15/X15

Service 16
Minor Timetable change

Service 19

Service 21

Service 23

Service 26

Service 30

Service 31

Service 32
NEW SERVICE

Service 33

Service 36

Service 38
Revised Timetable

Service 45

Service 48

Service 200

Service 300

Service 400

Lothian Country

Service X18

Service X19
NEW SERVICE

Service 275

Service 276

Service 280

East Coast Buses

Service X5

Service X7

Service 104

Service 106

Service 124

Service 140

www.Aprilfools.com

That's hilarious.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Okay, you guys have exceeded your Fun Quota for the day. Move along... ;)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Some interesting ideas, and some believable ideas! The Eastcoast stuff is just a bit too far fetched though. :lol:

Driver rotas, at least at ECB, are changing on 12th Sept so keep your eyes peeled over the next couple of weeks for an announcement.

Big changes here too. Enough said about that though :lol:

At the least the 2 route is moving fully to Central (3 buses done by Marine and 5 by Longstone at the moment).

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Something i’ve noticed recently is how stained the B5 MMCs windows seem to get. Fingerprints on the inside, water streaks down the outside, general dirty marks. Compare this to the XLBs which 2 and a half years down the road are still in a seemingly decent condition, what's changed? It seems odd to me.

Something i’ve noticed recently is how stained the B5 MMCs windows seem to get. Fingerprints on the inside, water streaks down the outside, general dirty marks. Compare this to the XLBs which 2 and a half years down the road are still in a seemingly decent condition, what's changed? It seems odd to me.
Maybe it has something to do with areas they go through?

Lothian_Bus

Big changes here too. Enough said about that though :lol:

At the least the 2 route is moving fully to Central (3 buses done by Marine and 5 by Longstone at the moment).
That is big change. Don't think Central has run the 2 before - at least not fully?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
That is big change. Don't think Central has run the 2 before - at least not fully?
I believe since it was split from the 2/12 it went to Marine then to Longstone sometime around 2012/13 then has been Longstone since until towards the end of last year where it became a 70/30 split with Marine.

Maybe it has something to do with areas they go through?
No because as I said it doesn't seem to happen with any other batch of vehicles, at least not as badly or quickly as it has on these.

DunsBus

Established Member
Had that gone ahead, you'd have lost two long-standing links, the 11 and 23. The latter service has history going back to tramway days. So, that would have meant no service to Trinity and Greenbank, or on Newhaven Road south of Ferry Road and the entire length of Pilrig Street.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Speculating wildly and straying into the dangerous ground of another taboo subject but does this mean that a a percentage based on a peak vehicle requirement of 8 which is what a poster above seemed to suggest it currently has proper 6 out of those 8 vehicles will be the wonderful electric Wright's?

Had that gone ahead, you'd have lost two long-standing links, the 11 and 23. The latter service has history going back to tramway days. So, that would have meant no service to Trinity and Greenbank, or on Newhaven Road south of Ferry Road and the entire length of Pilrig Street.
Mention of the formerly popular 11 and 23 certainly gave away the mischievous nature of that post for me too. However wasn't the 23 withdrawn for a few months last year, presumably without too much inconvenience? As we're often reminded, heritage counts for nothing in these challenging times.

DunsBus

Established Member
Mention of the formerly popular 11 and 23 certainly gave away the mischievous nature of that post for me too. However wasn't the 23 withdrawn for a few months last year, presumably without too much inconvenience? As we're often reminded, heritage counts for nothing in these challenging times.
I think it was. The 11 and 23 date back to 1956 as they were direct replacements for tram services. In the case of the 23, it started on the same evening as the trams finished (16th November 1956).

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Speculating wildly and straying into the dangerous ground of another taboo subject but does this mean that a a percentage based on a peak vehicle requirement of 8 which is what a poster above seemed to suggest it currently has proper 6 out of those 8 vehicles will be the wonderful electric Wright's?

Don't think so in regards to the electrics, 7900s are barely adequate for capacity recently. All 8 buses will be from Central, as per the duties i've got there anyway.

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
There is no chance the electrics will manage the 2! Capacity is way to low for the route.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I agree, but there's no accounting for silly decisions by those who don't have to use them is their.

I really, really don't think you're going to see the Wright milkfloats any time soon so seems like a pointless debate tbh.