• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Maintenance run/circuit.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, bus 1150 is currently tracking as both that and 1050. 1050 is still at Seafield being prepared for repaint.
I don't know how the tracking works, but I believe there are currently two feeds - one is the AVL, and one is another feed which I'm not 100% on - the same thing that was used to allow the 600s to track before they had AVLs. I would assume 1150 has had an AVL change with number 1050 on by error, but the other system still says 1150.

There are two tracking systems in use for now, buses with the new AVLs also have to be manually logged into the legacy system by control.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevenedin

Established Member
Maintenance run/circuit.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, bus 1150 is currently tracking as both that and 1050. 1050 is still at Seafield being prepared for repaint.
I don't know how the tracking works, but I believe there are currently two feeds - one is the AVL, and one is another feed which I'm not 100% on - the same thing that was used to allow the 600s to track before they had AVLs. I would assume 1150 has had an AVL change with number 1050 on by error, but the other system still says 1150.
Is 1050 moving to Lothian Country or just getting a freshen up?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Is 1050 moving to Lothian Country or just getting a freshen up?
I believe its moving to Lothian Country. 1152 is already back out to cover it for the time being. With 997 back I would expect some more movements within the next few days.

There are two tracking systems in use for now, buses with the new AVLs also have to be manually logged into the legacy system by control.
Thank you. I noticed the second feed had been reinstated to all buses in the fleet last week and it made a mess of tracking for a while, though things are looking better now. It has allowed improvements to tracking in areas like Newtongrange where there is almost no 2g connection for the old AVLs. I remember it was also in use just over a year ago before being disabled. It was enabled on some individual buses like 932-936 when they were moved to West Lothian before they were fitted with new AVLs due to really unreliable tracking.

For buses with old AVLs, the second tracking system ignores dead running/safe lines so you end up having quite a glitchy feed. You can look at this deadrun at the end of the day for bus 1071 as an example, and 1124 departing for repaint as another. New AVLs do not have these lines so this has no issue.

AVL = automatic vehicle locator

Last edited:

LBObserver

I hope you're right, but I'm confident enough in the source to post it here.
I was a couple of cars behind a Skylink on the 400 earlier, close enough to notice it was carrying a red rear wrap for Loganair. Maybe this is what was being referred to. Didn't get close enough to identify the bus.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I was a couple of cars behind a Skylink on the 400 earlier, close enough to notice it was carrying a red rear wrap for Loganair. Maybe this is what was being referred to. Didn't get close enough to identify the bus.
498/9 are the ones with the Loganair adverts. They replaced the long time Lothian Motorcoaches ones.

Would I be right in saying that the longest deadrun at the moment is Whitburn to Edinburgh between trips on the N18 at weekends?

Last edited:

computerSaysNo

Established Member
1063 is now with Lothian Country I believe.
If this is based off the LVF and the fact that 1063 appears to currently be tracking on the X40 then I'd suggest it's more likely to just be a ticket machine/tracker swap.
Edit: Link to the LVF page for vehicle 1063 is below, but do note that the site will show whatever route that ticket machine is on at the time you load the page so it might not necessarily show the X40.
https://lvf.io/#LRT|Lrt 1063

Edirim

If this is based off the LVF and the fact that 1063 appears to currently be tracking on the X40 then I'd suggest it's more likely to just be a ticket machine/tracker swap.
Edit: Link to the LVF page for vehicle 1063 is below, but do note that the site will show whatever route that ticket machine is on at the time you load the page so it might not necessarily show the X40.
https://lvf.io/#LRT|Lrt 1063
1063 is in Portobello according to bustimes.
X40 uses 3 buses and lvf showing 4 in use.

i8ouy

I saw one of the new busses on the 9 at 12 o clock at the mound, I personally think it looked really nice in the blue livery.

Vectron383

997 has had the full Lothian interior since it first arrived in Edinburgh. While I am sure there will be some discrepancies compared to the main batch, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Lothian negotiated to keep it, as they could definitely use an extra decker right now.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
My friend who speaks with a Longstone driver has said that some/all drivers on the 44 will also now drive the 36 and possibly 32 (the shift sheets were handed out today I believe).
Is this the start of the phasing out of single decker rotas? Or will routes like the 36 now have a mix of both single/double drivers? As far as I understand there are also agency drivers who will be at Longstone to support the addition of the 20/32.

stevenedin

Established Member
I'd imagine the remaining 09 and 10 plates will be cleared out before those
My guess is that 929-930 will move to Lothian Country and there will be some other movements possibly newer buses moving to either East Coast Buses or Lothian Country or both with 351-389 & 391-400 remaining in the city fleet until the next bus order. The city fleet will need to be increased if they want to expand and bring it back up to pre-Covid levels.

Hyebone

Hiya you lot up in Scotland, North Derbyshire resident here!

I'm looking for some clarification regarding a batch of Enviro400s purchased by the Wellglade group (Notts & Derby and TM Travel). These being the following:

1401 HY61 BUS
1402 LB61 BUS
1403 LB61 HYB
1404 SN11 EES
1405 SN61 BBF
1406 SN61 BBJ
1407 SN61 BBK
1408 SN61 BBO
1409 SN61 BBU
1410 SN61 BBV
1411 SN61 BBX
1412 SN61 BBZ
1413 SN61 BCE
1414 SN61 BCF
1415 SN61 BCK

I'm looking for some information such as what engines they have; when they were converted from hybrid electric vehicles to fully diesel; and if Lothian still operate any of these and how they're doing since the ones here seem to have engines far too small for the size of the vehicle. Cheers!

Resuwen

My guess is that 929-930 will move to Lothian Country and there will be some other movements possibly newer buses moving to either East Coast Buses or Lothian Country or both with 351-389 & 391-400 remaining in the city fleet until the next bus order. The city fleet will need to be increased if they want to expand and bring it back up to pre-Covid levels.

929 and 930 are surely in white pending disposal

Bus9120UK

Established Member
929 has already moved to Lothian Country with 930 to follow.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Hiya you lot up in Scotland, North Derbyshire resident here!

I'm looking for some clarification regarding a batch of Enviro400s purchased by the Wellglade group (Notts & Derby and TM Travel). These being the following:

1401 HY61 BUS
1402 LB61 BUS
1403 LB61 HYB
1404 SN11 EES
1405 SN61 BBF
1406 SN61 BBJ
1407 SN61 BBK
1408 SN61 BBO
1409 SN61 BBU
1410 SN61 BBV
1411 SN61 BBX
1412 SN61 BBZ
1413 SN61 BCE
1414 SN61 BCF
1415 SN61 BCK

I'm looking for some information such as what engines they have; when they were converted from hybrid electric vehicles to fully diesel; and if Lothian still operate any of these and how they're doing since the ones here seem to have engines far too small for the size of the vehicle. Cheers!
From memory:
ADL used two engine sizes for all their (integral) vehicles in what we/I now call the Classic range:
  • E200 normally had a 4.5 litre engine
  • E300 had a 6.7L engine
  • E350H had the 4.5L engine but an electric driveline which was supposed to give the vehicle the same performance as the higher-powered E300, but with the smaller engine
  • E400 had the 6.7L engine
  • E400H had the 4.5L engine but an electric driveline with the same intended effect as the E350H.
When Lothian converted their E400H vehicles to remove the electric/hybrid components from the driveline, they just fitted a standard E400 gearbox, so the vehicles effectively became standard E400 vehicles but with only a 4.5L engine.

I think someone on here has also previously said that, for any given engine type, multiple different power ratings were available; I can't remember if this also went against those vehicle's favour but if you search this and the older Lothian Buses thread then you should find it.

(The above info is all from memory and even if technically correct is probably a simplification!)