• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDG1949

That brought a smile, thank you.

I've added yesterday's photos from Carr Mill Viaduct here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Whilst driving there I saw road signs on both sides of Laffak Road bridge saying road closed on Sun 30th Nov. Is this owt to do with 'us'?

Thank you. What an excellent and fascinating photo story, If I can manage I'll have a look around Laffak Bridge tomorrow.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgot to add - by a strange quirk of fate the base for the concrete pumping vehicle is next door to St Helens Junction station !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trothy

I have it from a reliable source the Chat Moss lines are to be energised from December 28 2014 :)

Llama

Established Member
Another quick one from me. The OHLE sighting issues on the western approaches to Vic look to have been solved. Instead of the usual metal portals infront of the signals there are now headspan wires.

Another problem fixed!

Just an observation, but those aren't true headspans, they consist of cross-span wires tensioned within a portal structure, and so are relatively unusual in nature.

Work on Oldfield Road, half way between Salford Central and Windsor Bridge South Jn, seems to be taking place.

Also, along the Ashburys branch it has been noticed that many of the overbridges have been raised over the last year or so.

Jonny

Established Member
Also, along the Ashburys branch it has been noticed that many of the overbridges have been raised over the last year or so.

I presume you mean the line from Phillips Park Junction to Ashburys. Am I right?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is this line included in the Victoria - Stalybridge electrification scheme?
A quick search didn't show up any credible "official" mention, although it would obviously make sense, even without any regular electric traffic.

Yes. Notionally for ECS trains.
But it might come with the main TP scheme, like Guide Bridge to Stalybridge, in 2018.
Victoria-Stalybridge is (supposedly) 2016.

8A Rail

Established Member
Ditto Roby, Photos 1585, 4 & 3 confirm that you aren't going batty, the mid-platform mast was there last week.............Anyone in the know know what's what?..............
Its probably or may be the same reason for why it happened at Whiston Station - the wrong type of mast was put up!!

Jonny

Established Member
Yes. Notionally for ECS trains.
But it might come with the main TP scheme, like Guide Bridge to Stalybridge, in 2018.
Victoria-Stalybridge is (supposedly) 2016.

Which reminds me - how else would the TPE 350s get back to base at Ardwick from Man. Victoria without a detour via Crewe and the Man Picc bay platforms if they couldn't get through Deansgate/Oxford Road/Piccadilly (through platforms)?

The Planner

Veteran Member
I have it from a reliable source the Chat Moss lines are to be energised from December 28 2014 :)

Would disagree with that, its going to be well into Jan 15 from what I have seen. I know Virgin are expecting to test some Pendos down there at the back end of the month.

Trothy

Would disagree with that, its going to be well into Jan 15 from what I have seen. I know Virgin are expecting to test some Pendos down there at the back end of the month.

I work on the Huyton workstation at the ROC and have been told that we all have to have completed the AC training as 28th December is the new go live date. It may slip but that is the date the project have been telling our management.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I work on the Huyton workstation at the ROC and have been told that we all have to have completed the AC training as 28th December is the new go live date. It may slip but that is the date the project have been telling our management.

It would be really impressive if they achieved that.
There would still be a few weeks for testing and training though I imagine, before the first public run.
Huyton Jn-Roby Jn is certainly the area with most to do.

Trothy

No lonelier than any other single manned box. And we have a box tech and a meal relief. It'll be rather less lonely in a weeks time when Network Rail, Northern and TPE control all move in.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
28 December may the earliest date it mightgo live and hence the people responsible for it have to have the necessary training and the workforce needs to regard it as being live unless otherwise advised. There will be some time for testing and probably also some contingency time between that and any date NR has committed to run electric trains.

PDG1949

Whilst driving there I saw road signs on both sides of Laffak Road bridge saying road closed on Sun 30th Nov. Is this owt to do with 'us'?

Didn't manage to get over there today, but found a roadworks closure notice on the St H Council website saying it was an NR bridge inspection "Examination of the railway bridge (SBH3/4) 0800 - 1600 Sunday 30th November"

http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/roadworks

nw-sparks

Looks like a collision in the possession last night? Picture on Northwest Sparks Blog.

No trains St Helens Central / Wigan.

DJH1971

Established Member
Nope, will have an adverse impact on Crossrail too as it's heading there afterwards.

Especially when TPE will need Manchester Victoria wired in time for the May 2015 timetable, as Scottish 350 services will be going here instead of Piccadilly due work starting on the Ordsall Chord.

I wonder if they will now have to resort to 185's?

Rail Ranger

This has still not been given the go-ahead. The scheme is still awaiting Government approval following the Public Inquiry. It will possibly be given the final go-ahead in the Chancellor's autumn statement on 3rd December.

Status
Not open for further replies.