• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

budge

Today 200m East of Lea Green.

DSCF8006.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8A Rail

Established Member
It doesn't look as if the access to the public subway from platforms 2 and 3, at Huyton Station, is being re-instated. This leaves the steps/lift down into the station subway as the only entrance/exit point and even now the steps and subway can get congested if trains are in at both platforms 2&3. When platform 4 comes on flow it will get worse.
As can see from the photos (circa 1970) that there was an access point to the public subway at the eastern end of platforms 2 and 3. The recently closed pathway from platform 2 was a replacement for this.
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/36/27/362788_54e450bb.jpg
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/36/30/363080_1ee3e156.jpg
I think that was quite obvious it was not going to be reinstated as the work would of been carried out at the time of the major alterations to the station. As you will note now, new / revised stations do not have platforms ramps anymore as they are now squared off so to speak with fence / gate at each end.

I suppose the point you are making, were the lift shaft on Platform 2/3 is now, they should of put a tunnel to the public subway along side it but may be Network Rail / Northern Rail did not think it was necessary. As for the congestion problem, it happens at all busy stations and Huyton wont be an exception with or without the additionall exit / entrance on Platform 2/3.

By the way, two interesting images - must of been taken late 70's or there about?

Last edited:

Billyblue

The possibility of a congestion problem was raised in one of the early consultation documents and is a very real one. The stairs and subway are quite narrow and can get congested now. If the lifts were out of action prams etc would add to the problem.
I do realise that if this work was to have been carried out it would have, obviously been done earlier.
The photos are from 1970. As you can see, the 4th track has been removed. The photo showing the station is interesting as it shows the original roof.

budge

Just a few images around St Helens Junction. Sorry composition is poor, I'm a bit rusty with the camera!

DSCF8013.JPG

DSCF8015.JPG

DSCF8016.JPG

DSCF8017.JPG

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
It appears that the return wiring between Lea Green and St Helens Junction (on the Liverpool-bound side) nnow appears to be stretching more eastwards.

snowball

Established Member
The new Modern Railways (Oct, p.16) says NR are now aiming for early May for Ordsall Lane to Victoria. Some previously completed work around Victoria will have to be re-done because they failed to properly allow for signal sighting for bi-directional signalling.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I toured Lime St-Wigan NW-Huyton-Earlestown-Lime St today and found the following.

Headlines:

1. First masts in the vicinity of Huyton Station
2. 2 out of 3 Lifts working at Roby
3. More Masts and first Cross-member East of Sankey Viaduct
4. More wiring between Eccleston Park and Thatto Heath
5. More wiring between Lea Green and St Helens Junction
6. First wires east of St Helens Junction

1. A "TTC" (Twin Track Cantilever) has been erected a short distance West of Huyton Station, spanning tracks 1&2. At least one mast has appeared on the North side of tracks between Huyton and Huyton Junction, several bases have also appeared on both sides in this vicinity. I was told by a track worker that siting a mast near the Archway Road Bridge has been very challenging as the embankment is very steep-sided. He didn't know if the difficulty has been resolved.

2. Roby's lifts on Platforms 2/3 and 4 are working but switched out of use because of the danger of someone using them to get down below then being unable to get up to Platform 1. The shaft in Platform 1 is now ready to receive lift mechanism, which typically takes "three to four weeks." "Only snagging works" remain at Roby and Huyton stations. Re-tiling Roby Station roof is well under way.

3. By the West-East lines East of Sankey Viaduct ten masts are now in place, one pair of which are joined by a cross-member, forming an arch. Orangemen were working on one of the three mast base sites on Earlestown Platform 1. The full set of bases East of Junction Lane bridge on the West-South curve is now in place, though no more masts have been added in the last ten days.

4. At least one Return Wire runs through Eccleston Park station. More wires are in place North of the station, with various wires besides the original plain two running through the "canyon" to Thatto Heath. At least one wire runs through Thatto Heath station. The upshot of all this is that at least one wire runs from south of Prescot to the Ravenhead Works junction approaching St Helens Central.

5. Earlier this week it was reported that a Return Wire had been strung between Lea Green and St Helens Junction. Since then photos have shown other wires up in that stretch. The situation is fast-moving; by this afternoon there is a wire on the North side through Lea Green Station from Rainhill Signalbox, extending and joined with others approx half way to St Helens Junction. On the South of the tracks the wires from Rainhill stop just short of Lea Green, then resume immediately afterwards, extending, sometimes with others, right to the eastern end of St Helens Junction Station.

6. A lone wire now stretches on the South side of the tracks from a short distance East of St Helens Junction Station to Broad Lane, Collins Green.

Other:

7. Some signalling activity North of Carr Mill.
8. Very little change visible North of the A580.
9. I think two bases have had masts placed on them between SHC and carr Mill.
10. There is talk among contractors of electrification work being "3 or 4 weeks behind."
11. I think a few masts have appeared near Roby Junction.

I will update the "where-we-are-up-to" spreadsheet later tonight, I'm off out shortly.

I've added eleven new photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110155...rification20134?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmM9tLBtNTlgAE

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The different metals appear to be separated by the 25kV insulators so I don't imagine electrolytic corrosion would be a concern.

The Planner

Veteran Member
The new Modern Railways (Oct, p.16) says NR are now aiming for early May for Ordsall Lane to Victoria. Some previously completed work around Victoria will have to be re-done because they failed to properly allow for signal sighting for bi-directional signalling.

Bit naughty considering nothing has been officially released.

Viscount702

The CP5 delivery Plan refers to Capacity improvements starting in November at Ordsall Lane Junction and Victoria East and West.

Do we know what these are, do they affect the electrification or is it already taken account of and when it will start

snowball

Established Member
Wonder when we will hear the latest from Network Rail's CP5 plan concerning delays to phase 2?

The next updated version of the Enhancements Delivery Plan is due out on 30 Sep. Last time they updated it they overwrote the previous version, so if anyone wants to save a copy before it goes, now's the time.

8A Rail

Established Member
Was at Huyton Station today and just noted the following, one mast with stanction just west of signal for down slow line. Stanction seems to be a little short to cover both lines though but what do I know! :) Only one mast up east between Huyton Station and Junction. More black fencing up over the subway / walkway area. Huyton Station entrance still seems to be same as a few weeks ago, must walk up unsurfaced ramp to entrance, new steps etc not finished and still blocked off much to my surprise! Still a few "other" jobs still uncompleted which again makes me wonder what the contractors have been doing last few weeks, sorry to say. Fourth track, completely ballasted over with the top of the rails only visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.