• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
Looking on realtimetrains I see that

539E 1228 Wolverton Centre Sidings to Allerton Depot

ran yesterday (11th Sept) which implies that one or more 319s ran North.

Did anyone photograph or film it?

DJH1971

Established Member

There is a picture on the 319 cascade to Northern thread on the Traction and Rolling Stock page.

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
319363 operated on its own. I did not bother with it as there wil be plenty of opportunties to catch them on driver training over the next few months on the same stretch of lines - the only difference, in time they change their liveries.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
I went searching for 319s today.

In the process I found at least four mastless bases at the eastern exit from Allerton Depot by the tracks running into Hunts Cross from the West. As at Wavertree, Ince Moss and Earlestown these are interleaved with masts from much earlier electrification.

I found a 319 with an 08 shunter at its eastern end at the eastern side of the sheds at the depot.

At around the time the second training run to Crewe was due to leave the middle shed doors opened and the unit slowly emerged to the western side, plainly visible from the transfer deck at Liverpool South Parkway. It was being propelled by the 08. When all four carriages were clear of the shed it stopped. The only visible activity for the next three hours was the pantograph being raised then lowered.

Eventually the light went green and the unit was slowly dragged back indoors.

I've added seven photos here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110155...rification20134?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmM9tLBtNTlgAE

DJH1971

Established Member
I went searching for 319s today.

In the process I found at least four mastless bases at the eastern exit from Allerton Depot by the tracks running into Hunts Cross from the West. As at Wavertree, Ince Moss and Earlestown these are interleaved with masts from much earlier electrification.

I found a 319 with an 08 shunter at its eastern end at the eastern side of the sheds at the depot.

At around the time the second training run to Crewe was due to leave the middle shed doors opened and the unit slowly emerged to the western side, plainly visible from the transfer deck at Liverpool South Parkway. It was being propelled by the 08. When all four carriages were clear of the shed it stopped. The only visible activity for the next three hours was the pantograph being raised then lowered.

Eventually the light went green and the unit was slowly dragged back indoors.

I've added seven photos here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110155...rification20134?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmM9tLBtNTlgAE

Looks like the training has commenced! :D

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
At last !

In this week's St Helens STAR Public Notices section
NR have submittted a listed building planning consent submission for Rainhill Station

Application Number is P/2014/0653

http://llpgport.oltps.sthelens.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=101342

Public Consultation Period - 20th August to 2nd October

Enjoy !

Talk about cutting it fine!

Thought this should have been done yonks ago.

We can but hope the delay was caused by pre application discussions - and that this now means the application will go through without fuss!

driver_m

Established Member
If the weekly ops notices are to be trusted. Ordsall to deal st jn. gets turned on tomorrow. (gave another date previously which didn't happen then become tbc for a while)

Class377/5

Established Member
Training proper starts next week with limited use of the diagrams in the system. As of today there are diagrams seven days a week until mid October. There's even a spare 319 coming up but there's some bad news. Phase 2 wont be ready for December it seems. To be announced soon.

DJH1971

Established Member
Training proper starts next week with limited use of the diagrams in the system. As of today there are diagrams seven days a week until mid October. There's even a spare 319 coming up but there's some bad news. Phase 2 wont be ready for December it seems. To be announced soon.

Well, both Network Rail and Northern will have to amend their websites now.

Wonder how much it will be delayed by and will penalty clauses come into play now?

Looks like my fears have been justified all along.

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
What exactly happened with that wiring train then? I'd read that there'd been a problem with it failing at some point, then someone posted a link to an article this week (either posted on here or on twitter) that said it had been in a near accident. Has that played the part in this delay or is there a lot more to it?

Class 170101

Established Member
Are there any bridges between Micklefield and Selby? I can only think of the one South of the station which seems pretty high. Several level crossings though.

Would it not also affect the ECML though. I would guess the ECML would have to be blocked and isolated in the Hambleton area whilst work is taking place as the junctions are also being wired. Therefore these services would need to be diverted via Knottingley or Leeds. Of course if Leeds to York is completed first then ECML electric services can be diverted this way without need for traction change at Leeds and / or York.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Would it not also affect the ECML though. I would guess the ECML would have to be blocked and isolated in the Hambleton area whilst work is taking place as the junctions are also being wired. Therefore these services would need to be diverted via Knottingley or Leeds. Of course if Leeds to York is completed first then ECML electric services can be diverted this way without need for traction change at Leeds and / or York.

Although I can't vouch for these ones, normal practice is to fully wire all junctions on electrification of one route, even if they lead to non-electrified lines. As well as providing a bit more leeway for a mis-routed electric train to stop, this means the other route can be electrified without re-doing the wiring on the junction itself. There would only have to be a short period of some disruption while the new plain line wiring was linked into the junction.

Class377/5

Established Member
Knock on effects for the wiring as a whole maybe troubling. What's happening on the GWML is happening elsewhere.

snowball

Established Member

This should be in the Trans-Pennine electrification thread ...

Most eletrification projects include tie-ins to existing electrified lines but I wouldn't have thought it was a major issue. I would have thought disruption to the existing electrified lines arising from the tie-ins could be confined to a limited number of nights or weekends, possibly at times when maintenance was scheduled anyway.

Although I can't vouch for these ones, normal practice is to fully wire all junctions on electrification of one route, even if they lead to non-electrified lines. As well as providing a bit more leeway for a mis-routed electric train to stop, this means the other route can be electrified without re-doing the wiring on the junction itself. There would only have to be a short period of some disruption while the new plain line wiring was linked into the junction.

It's in the published NR docs that both curves at Hambleton will be included in the Leeds-Selby electrification.

8A Rail

Established Member
This should be in the Trans-Pennine electrification thread ...

Most eletrification projects include tie-ins to existing electrified lines but I wouldn't have thought it was a major issue. I would have thought disruption to the existing electrified lines arising from the tie-ins could be confined to a limited number of nights or weekends, possibly at times when maintenance was scheduled anyway.

It's in the published NR docs that both curves at Hambleton will be included in the Leeds-Selby electrification.

YES - keep this over in the Trans-Pennine electrification thread PLEASE.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Different set of problems.....

On GWML theyve mostly been planning red tape being put up by coucils and some under estimation of the extent of works required as the government pushed it before the full costs had been studied.

In the north west as far as i know there hasnt been any uncoperative councils, just unforseen ground conditions, things like finding an unmapped uncapped mine shaft that required filling and firmer overhead foundations being required in some areas which had poorer ground conditions than thought.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There's a full set of wires now up between Lea Green and Rainhill (Up line at least).
A few more masts up either side of Roby, but that's all that's new.

Status
Not open for further replies.