• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marston Vale line suspension over - FULL services start running 19/02/24

12LDA28C

Established Member
Noticed that there seems to be an elevated bit to Bletchley station on the bridge towards Bicester. Spotted the old alignment towards Cambridge (fenced off) as we swung left on the approach to St John's.

That would be the high level platforms which will be used for EWR Milton Keynes - Oxford trains next year. Those platforms have been there a while now although the footbridge is a more recent addition.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sibbahz

Tomorrow’s cancellations are in; three hour gap in service between 12:45 and 15:45 Bletchley > Bedford.
That’s me driving to Flitwick, although that looks like a fail tonight as well, so might just drive to north London tomorrow.

It’s not like they even bother to say if there is rail replacement.
Honestly less reliable than the fully bustituted service.

KT550

Checking National Rail now, last departure from Bletchley is 12:45; last from Bedford is 13:47.

(Sat 24 Feb)

Last edited:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Quite a few people on the trains from mid morning today, looks like 150141 had a bad start and ran fast on one trip from Bletchley to Bedford but otherwise all been reasonably good today while I've been up and down.
Waiting for the last one of the day back to Bedford now.

greenline712

I've travelled today on this line ... 0945 ex BLY loaded to around 40 pax .... guard telling all pax that 1347 ex BED was the last train as such.
No good for me, so I caught the 1500 replacement ex BED ... a 23-plate coach from Tates ... they must have the job today. A minibus from A2B arrived at BED, but then departed empty, so our coach covered (almost) all stations .... Millbrook and Fenny Stratfird were omitted. [Millbrook can only be served by a minibus, and the chances of picking up at Fenny Stratford would be nil!!]. Still arrived at BLY af 1609, just in time to miss the 1605 southbound ... so that's 60+ delayrepay for me!!

sibbahz

Im headed back from London in the next few hours. Hoping a bus from bedford stops at Stewartby!
Train out at 11:13 was fairly well loaded.

duffield

Established Member
Got off a Euston bound train at Bletchley at 13:30 since the 13:45 to Bedford appeared to be viable, and it was sitting at the platform with the engines running; but actually cancelled due to "a staffing issue".

Never mind, I took a photo of the new high-level EWR platforms, got the next train to Euston, trotted over to St. Pancras (12mins train to train!) and continued my journey back to the East Midlands.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Got off a Euston bound train at Bletchley at 13:30 since the 13:45 to Bedford appeared to be viable, and it was sitting at the platform with the engines running; but actually cancelled due to "a staffing issue".

Never mind, I took a photo of the new high-level EWR platforms, got the next train to Euston, trotted over to St. Pancras (12mins train to train!) and continued my journey back to the East Midlands.
Yes, last one was planned to be 1245 Bletchley to Bedford today. Was quite a busy run.

gaillark

Well if you are at Ridgmont or within walking distance (Wed-Sat btwn 1000 and 1600) I can recommend the tea room at the station as well as the little musuem.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Well if you are at Ridgmont or within walking distance (Wed-Sat btwn 1000 and 1600) I can recommend the tea room at the station as well as the little musuem.
I was there at 1002 this morning just as it was opening, and was tempted but I was conscious the trains were finishing at 2pm and I had things to do, maybe another time though.

LUYMun

When I visited the line, as posted earlier on this thread, the 13:45 BLY-BDM also had the 150 sitting idling, but then departed into Bletchley TMD shortly after, likely to dwell until later in the day with just the other 150 making trips.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
When I visited the line, as posted earlier on this thread, the 13:45 BLY-BDM also had the 150 sitting idling, but then departed into Bletchley TMD shortly after, likely to dwell until later in the day with just the other 150 making trips.
Neither diagram was running after 1430.

Just some observations having made a trip today as I wanted to get a bit of a walk and ride the restored service:smile:

Bought a return from Milton Keynes Central MKC to Aspley Guise and took train from MKC to Bletchley to catch the 10:45 train to APG. While waiting on platform 5 at BLY for the train an orange and brown West Midlands Railway eight car with pantograph with Bedford as its destination at the front (as it came into platform 5) pulled in. I was somewhat surprised at this as the BLY-Bedford line isn't electrified and has some quite short platforms! After a few minutes said train reversed out again.

10:45 then arrived, two cars and no pantograph as expected. Probably a dozen people boarded.

On the journey I noticed that the signs at Bow Brickhill station say "For Caldecotte and Tilbrook" - other than locals I wonder who would have heard of either of these areas of MK, other than those who follow Red Bull.

I was the only person to alight at APG and noticed that there was a ticket machine on the Bedford direction platform but that it didn't appear to take cash.

I did a pleasant walk and arrived at Woburn Sands WOB for the 12:18 back to BLY. Some nice local history posters in the waiting shelter but no ticket machines even though there's a large PENALTY FARE warning poster at the side of the platform. Sign near the road has a smallish sign saying the station is unmanned and to buy ticket on the train.

Real time display panel about half way along Bedford direction platform but on the Bletchley direction side the display is by the road and too far away to be read from even half way down the platform so had to keep walking back towards the road to read it. One other passenger waiting at this point and he felt there should maybe be a panel by the road showing info for both direction plus one half way along the platform on each side.

Third person arrived just before the train so three of us boarded and my carriage had at least one person in every bay of seats.

Arrived into Bletchley on platform 6 - the one with no lift, only stairs. Bemused lady with a largish suitcase standing wondering how she was going to get to her platform for her onward train realised she'd have to carry the suitcase up the stairs. Lady with a pram standing at bottom of stairs also wondering how she proceeded - I didn't see any staff offering any help or suggestions. I offered to help with the pram but it was too heavy for me so another lady offered and they managed to get it up the stairs. It's really not good enough for the train to arrive or depart from platform 6.

No ticket check in either direction.

So an interesting and enjoyable trip out - going to see if I can find a day to do the whole trip BLY-Bedford and back before too long.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Just some observations having made a trip today as I wanted to get a bit of a walk and ride the restored service:smile:

Bought a return from Milton Keynes Central MKC to Aspley Guise and took train from MKC to Bletchley to catch the 10:45 train to APG. While waiting on platform 5 at BLY for the train an orange and brown West Midlands Railway eight car with pantograph with Bedford as its destination at the front (as it came into platform 5) pulled in. I was somewhat surprised at this as the BLY-Bedford line isn't electrified and has some quite short platforms! After a few minutes said train reversed out again.

10:45 then arrived, two cars and no pantograph as expected. Probably a dozen people boarded.

On the journey I noticed that the signs at Bow Brickhill station say "For Caldecotte and Tilbrook" - other than locals I wonder who would have heard of either of these areas of MK, other than those who follow Red Bull.

I was the only person to alight at APG and noticed that there was a ticket machine on the Bedford direction platform but that it didn't appear to take cash.

I did a pleasant walk and arrived at Woburn Sands WOB for the 12:18 back to BLY. Some nice local history posters in the waiting shelter but no ticket machines even though there's a large PENALTY FARE warning poster at the side of the platform. Sign near the road has a smallish sign saying the station is unmanned and to buy ticket on the train.

Real time display panel about half way along Bedford direction platform but on the Bletchley direction side the display is by the road and too far away to be read from even half way down the platform so had to keep walking back towards the road to read it. One other passenger waiting at this point and he felt there should maybe be a panel by the road showing info for both direction plus one half way along the platform on each side.

Third person arrived just before the train so three of us boarded and my carriage had at least one person in every bay of seats.

Arrived into Bletchley on platform 6 - the one with no lift, only stairs. Bemused lady with a largish suitcase standing wondering how she was going to get to her platform for her onward train realised she'd have to carry the suitcase up the stairs. Lady with a pram standing at bottom of stairs also wondering how she proceeded - I didn't see any staff offering any help or suggestions. I offered to help with the pram but it was too heavy for me so another lady offered and they managed to get it up the stairs. It's really not good enough for the train to arrive or depart from platform 6.

So an interesting and enjoyable trip out - going to see if I can find a day to do the whole trip BLY-Bedford and back before too long.
My journeys on Saturday were also all platform 6 at Bletchley. I did have my tickets checked on the vast majority of journeys.

BrettSy96

I travelled on the line today, Bletchley to Bedford and return, we left from platform 5 and arrived into platform 5 on the return. Didn’t have my tickets checked on either journey, was a nice journey tho :D

Jimini

Established Member
My journeys on Saturday were also all platform 6 at Bletchley. I did have my tickets checked on the vast majority of journeys.

I caught the 1245 from Bletchley (the last one of the day I believe), and that arrived / departed from P5. Full ticket check on that one as well.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
5 is used when possible, sometimes it can't be either due to a looped freight or a starting/terminating service (since the 12 car extensions you can't access the sidings from 4).

Travelmonkey

£500, obviously!
With the amount of first class I've done I've probably got close to that over the years for the upgrades, although even on the 153 was nice as was the cupcakes supplied by the local CRP

*photo pink monkey plushie taking a bite of a Marston Vale branded cupcake (left) and then a starry rucksack with pink monkey in foreground and the green Marston Vale 150 behind (right)*

Attachments

• IMG_20240219_120206_186~2.jpg
    IMG_20240219_120206_186~2.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20240219_113407.jpg
    20240219_113407.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 77

James H

Been for a spin on the Marston Vale today

Had the front coach to myself from Bedford to Fenny Stratford on the outward journey. About 5 people in the back coach.

Walked from Bletchley to Fenny Stratford for the return journey.

Both entrances at Fenny Stratford still displaying last November's hybrid bus/train timetable which I thought was a poor show.

Eastbound train a bit busier.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I'm going with a nosey around Ridgemont tommorow so gonna be good to be on the line,

You won't see much at Ridgmont unless it's a gigantic Amazon warehouse you're interested in. It's a decent length walk from the shack to the village too. Maybe a friendly signaller will give you a guided tour of the MVSC, if you're lucky.

Travelmonkey

You won't see much at Ridgmont unless it's a gigantic Amazon warehouse you're interested in. It's a decent length walk from the shack to the village too. Maybe a friendly signaller will give you a guided tour of the MVSC, if you're lucky.
I'm looking into more for the heritage centre and a spot of lunch at the cafe/tea room, I know my fare don't mean much but its a notch onto the ORR stats,

Haywain

Veteran Member
I'm looking into more for the heritage centre and a spot of lunch at the cafe/tea room, I know my fare don't mean much but its a notch onto the ORR stats,
Is it open tomorrow? I ask because I was looking at the website earlier and noticed it was saying open from March.

Travelmonkey

Is it open tomorrow? I ask because I was looking at the website earlier and noticed it was saying open from March.
If its not I'm still on adventures, Google recons it will be open, If it isn't i may use the 34 into Ampthill or CMK to find my lunch, regardless at least my monkey will remain smiling.

James H

When I passed through yesterday during the advertised hours the lights seemed to be off and it didn't look very open. Made me glad I hadn't alighted to visit as I had first planned.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It was very noticeable on Monday that the getaways were more leisurely and the arrivals very sedate compared to when 150s last ran.
I'm not certain about the reason for this but each stop was 20 to 30 seconds longer than back then too as there seems to be a different (more convoluted) door procedure.

Not a very good day today on the Marston Vale. As of writing a few round trips have been cancelled due to a shortage of staff.
standard!

and the chances of picking up at Fenny Stratford would be nil!!]
Is that right?
I can recommend the tea room at the station as well as the little musuem.
A very good little tea room. Well worth a visit! They do a good cake.
I was there at 1002 this morning just as it was opening, and was tempted but I was conscious the trains were finishing at 2pm and I had things to do, maybe another time though.
you could have seen it all easily in the available time!
While waiting on platform 5 at BLY for the train an orange and brown West Midlands Railway eight car with pantograph with Bedford as its destination at the front (as it came into platform 5) pulled in. I was somewhat surprised at this as the BLY-Bedford line isn't electrified and has some quite short platforms! After a few minutes said train reversed out again.
The new units live in the depot round the corner. The short spur is electrified. Suggest the destination board was someone having a laugh
I think the local business group pout them up. I am sure I saw some sort of campaign to change the name. There are many other employers down there other than Red Bull. Several Red Bull staff use the train. They must be told to travel in full kit as they are obvious.
I am sure there is a machine on the Bedford bound platform near the shelter.
standard! it has been like that as long as i have used the line ( 14 years) and nothing changes. More trains do go into platform 5 but it can be a bit of a lottery.

The excuse LNWR and LM before them point to is blocking access to the loops or sidings north of Bletchley station for any length of time, especially at peak hours by only using platform 5

Both entrances at Fenny Stratford still displaying last November's hybrid bus/train timetable which I thought was a poor show.
it has been reported several times. Suspect it may be common along the line.

duffield

Established Member
All running pretty smoothly today, took the 1147 from Bedford to Bletchley, lightly loaded with a few people on and off at the intermediate stations including an enthusiastic small child. When at Bletchley P5, I realised that the works for the connection to the new high level platform don't include a lift to P6, which seems an unfortunate omission.

I wonder if, in the period after EWR opens from Bletchley to Bicester/Oxford, but before Bedford to Bletchley gets integrated with EWR, it would be possible for the Bedford trains to turn back in the high level platforms rather than using P6, in order to remove the "no lift" issue? I'd guess not due to the dwell time of about 15 mins.

Anyhow, I guess now we've got a (mostly) full service running, this thread is coming to its conclusion.

LUYMun

When at Bletchley P5, I realised that the works for the connection to the new high level platform don't include a lift to P6, which seems an unfortunate omission.

I wonder if, in the period after EWR opens from Bletchley to Bicester/Oxford, but before Bedford to Bletchley gets integrated with EWR, it would be possible for the Bedford trains to turn back in the high level platforms rather than using P6, in order to remove the "no lift" issue? I'd guess not due to the dwell time of about 15 mins.
Considering if a wheelchair user did board the train at stops preceding Bletchley, wouldn't the guard be able to contact the signaller and route the train into P5 instead of P6? This might seem troublesome during weekday peaks looking at RTT, but it's certainly doable, as the timetables already shows which platform the train would depart from.

Travelmonkey

Considering if a wheelchair user did board the train at stops preceding Bletchley, wouldn't the guard be able to contact the signaller and route the train into P5 instead of P6? This might seem troublesome during weekday peaks looking at RTT, but it's certainly doable, as the timetables already shows which platform the train would depart from.
Given that there is staffing issues at Bletchley it is quite frankly tricky with assisted travel. I arrived on a train into 6 on the 29th and my assistance failed to show ,
When I passed through yesterday during the advertised hours the lights seemed to be off and it didn't look very open. Made me glad I hadn't alighted to visit as I had first planned.
I am pleased to say it was open it is a cute little community asset although didn't realise you needed a reservation for the cafe they made me a bacon buttie that was good. It was interesting to have a explore on and see inside the museum bit and also saw a 92 dragged through although the video is too beefy for this server.

*photo Red bench with black text saying Ridgmont, in the middle is a stary rucksack with the monkey under the station name*

Attachments

• 20240229_120623.jpg
    20240229_120623.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited: