• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marston Vale line suspension over - FULL services start running 19/02/24

BrianW

Established Member
Given that there is staffing issues at Bletchley it is quite frankly tricky with assisted travel. I arrived on a train into 6 on the 29th and my assistance failed to show ,

I am pleased to say it was open it is a cute little community asset although didn't realise you needed a reservation for the cafe they made me a bacon buttie that was good. It was interesting to have a explore on and see inside the museum bit and also saw a 92 dragged through although the video is too beefy for this server.

*photo Red bench with black text saying Ridgemont, in the middle is a stary rucksack with the monkey under the station name*
Nitpicking (sorry) but I note the bench shows 'Ridgmont', and not Ridgemont: https://ridgmontheritage.org.uk/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Considering if a wheelchair user did board the train at stops preceding Bletchley, wouldn't the guard be able to contact the signaller and route the train into P5 instead of P6?

It wouldn't work like that, more likely the guard would contact the driver and the driver would speak to the signaller on the GSM-R.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Considering if a wheelchair user did board the train at stops preceding Bletchley, wouldn't the guard be able to contact the signaller and route the train into P5 instead of P6? This might seem troublesome during weekday peaks looking at RTT, but it's certainly doable, as the timetables already shows which platform the train would depart from.

5 is the only platform WCML trains going on and off the sidings can use, but this doesn't happen every hour so 5 is sometimes used.

david1212

Established Member
Arrived into Bletchley on platform 6 - the one with no lift, only stairs. Bemused lady with a largish suitcase standing wondering how she was going to get to her platform for her onward train realised she'd have to carry the suitcase up the stairs. Lady with a pram standing at bottom of stairs also wondering how she proceeded - I didn't see any staff offering any help or suggestions. I offered to help with the pram but it was too heavy for me so another lady offered and they managed to get it up the stairs. It's really not good enough for the train to arrive or depart from platform 6.

Given that there is staffing issues at Bletchley it is quite frankly tricky with assisted travel. I arrived on a train into 6 on the 29th and my assistance failed to show. ....

This is beyond poor. I note the comments about staffing levels but a problem that corporately 'the railway' should not have. As a minimum there should be staff assistance for every arrival and departure.

If platform 6 was never booked to be used but only used by exception when disruption understandable that a lift was never installed however given clearly this is not the case why no lift?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is beyond poor. I note the comments about staffing levels but a problem that corporately 'the railway' should not have. As a minimum there should be staff assistance for every arrival and departure.

If platform 6 was never booked to be used but only used by exception when disruption understandable that a lift was never installed however given clearly this is not the case why no lift?

Presumably because when BR refurbished the station they expected the line to close soon, so P6 was done on the cheap. The narrowing of the bridge there makes it difficult to install one without major work.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Presumably because when BR refurbished the station they expected the line to close soon, so P6 was done on the cheap. The narrowing of the bridge there makes it difficult to install one without major work.
The failure to provide one during the EWR project to extend the footbridge does seem a rather colossal oversight.

12LDA28C

Established Member

What other stations employ staff to assist with every arrival and departure? As a rule the railway doesn't employ platform staff any more and on most small stations the only staff present will be in the ticket office, if at all.

Travelmonkey

Considering 3 members of staff stood by the gateline it is poor not one of them came over, the guard from my Marston Vale train directed me to the lift for my MKC connection but he shouldn't have needed to do that given I had booked assistance on the app in advance, thankfully the staff at MKC and my connecting trains guard were prompt helpful and professional,

Last edited:

LUYMun

Considering 3 members of staff stood by the gateline it is poor not one of them came over, the guard from my Marston Vale train directed me to the lift for my MKC connection but he shouldn't have needed to do that given I had booked assistance on the app in advance, thankfully the staff at MKC and my connecting trains guard were prompt helpful and professional,
I'm not sure how Gateline Assistants would be expected to assist or perform platform duties for that branch line into their occupation? Apples to oranges if you ask me.

Travelmonkey

I'm not sure how Gateline Assistants would be expected to assist or perform platform duties for that branch line into their occupation? Apples to oranges if you ask me.
Classic "not my job" they still wear the company uniform many other TOCs work as a team to help ALL their customers not just to catch out the unwary or the chancers, customers don't care about grade politics they just want to get to A&B without hassle regardless I have put in for investigation to find out why I was left to fend for myself. I'm lucky I'm quite with it but someone much more vanuerable could have been exposed to much greater risk,

Kieran_MF135

But when assistant is booked your ask to find staff to know your there I been left stranded before when it failed and severely delayed.

Passenger assistance when booked in advance. To ensure that you can do your journey

Classic "not my job" they still wear the company uniform many other TOCs work as a team to help ALL their customers not just to catch out the unwary or the chancers, customers don't care about grade politics they just want to get to A&B without hassle regardless I have put in for investigation to find out why I was left to fend for myself. I'm lucky I'm quite with it but someone much more vanuerable could have been exposed to much greater risk,

service that did not meet the standards you expect. This information can be found on your ticket and receipt, as well as by looking online at the National Rail Enquiries site.

Each rail service provider has a different rate of compensation, so look on their relevant website or contact them directly by letter, phone or in person.

What you can expect on your Journey
During your journey on any rail service in the UK, you can expect the rail service provider to: know how to deal with any assistance you need, treat you courteously and with respect, understand the workings of any equipment needed to assist you, and be able to communicate with you in the way you can understand.

You can also expect that the equipment used in your assistance will be of adequate quality and design to provide the correct assistance, that the services such as the toilet and lifts are in correct and working order, and that if you have booked assistance, it will be there for you.

What you need to Complain
When you are making a complaint, it helps enormously to have as much information as possible about the issue at hand.

When contacting the rail service provider at fault, have:

The ticket you booked the journey with
The receipt for said ticket
Any railcard you used to book the ticket
Any reference number you have been given
Kept the original documents – only send copies as you are unlikely to get them back
As many details of the incident or problem as possible – dates, times, individuals involved, missing service, who you travelled with
How this affected you – delays, missed appointments, mental distress etc.
What you would like the rail service provider to do about it – fix it, compensation, refund
They should deal with your complaint within 2 weeks, and if you haven’t received a reply in 10 days, contact them again for confirmation of your complaint. If they haven’t dealt with your complaint in 28 days, you can seek to complain further.

Exercise your Rights
Disabled passengers have a lot of protection under the law, and all assistance should be made for them to be able to complete their journeys in a way that is suited to them. By making complaints and by holding these companies accountable, you not only get potential redress and compensation, you help to ensure they make the changes needed and prevent failures in the future.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Considering if a wheelchair user did board the train at stops preceding Bletchley, wouldn't the guard be able to contact the signaller and route the train into P5 instead of P6? This might seem troublesome during weekday peaks looking at RTT, but it's certainly doable, as the timetables already shows which platform the train would depart from.
It seems to work out when such an occurrence happens unexpectedly on the way ONTO Bletchley . I do wonder what would happen if someone presented themselves at Bletchley but was unable to access P6 via the stairs
Don't jinx it now... ;)
I did - many cancellations this morning

It has been like this for years - at least 14! - no one in authority cares
The failure to provide one during the EWR project to extend the footbridge does seem a rather colossal oversight.
E-W haven't built an entrance facing the town so this is not a surprise - i guess there was not budget for it. it is maddening.
I think the local assistance person comes down from MKC as there doesn't seem to be a guarantee of staffing at Beltchley. There is often only a security gaurd on the gates

david1212

Established Member
What other stations employ staff to assist with every arrival and departure? As a rule the railway doesn't employ platform staff any more and on most small stations the only staff present will be in the ticket office, if at all.
At a small station indeed but Bletchley is 6 platforms.

@WolvertonWorks posted on Monday 26th February stating
I .... arrived at Woburn Sands WOB for the 12:18 back to BLY (Bletchley)
and
Arrived into Bletchley on platform 6 - the one with no lift, only stairs. Bemused lady with a largish suitcase standing wondering how she was going to get to her platform for her onward train realised she'd have to carry the suitcase up the stairs. Lady with a pram standing at bottom of stairs also wondering how she proceeded - I didn't see any staff offering any help or suggestions. I offered to help with the pram but it was too heavy for me so another lady offered and they managed to get it up the stairs. ...
then @Travelmonkey stated
I arrived on a train into (platform) 6 on (Thursday) the 29th and my assistance failed to show.

The National Rail website page for Bletchey states
Staff Help Available
Staff Help Available Monday: 06:00 - 21:00
Staff Help Available Tuesday to Friday: 06:00 - 20:00
Staff Help Available Saturday: 07:00 - 18:00
Staff Help Available Sunday: 08:00 - 17:00

This station is staffed part time. This means that during 'staff help available opening times' your assistance will be provided by station staff. Any other time, our on-train Conductors will provide your assistance onto the train.
OK to say the station is staffed part time but all of the above events are within the times where it is stated that staff help is available.
... I think the local assistance person comes down from MKC as there doesn't seem to be a guarantee of staffing at Beltchley. There is often only a security guard on the gates.
As far as the customer / passenger is concerned how assistance is provided is irrelevant. What they very reasonably expect is for it to be available when 'the railway' states that it is.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At a small station indeed but Bletchley is 6 platforms.

Bletchley in any meaningful sense is a smallish station. It has 6 platforms because of the track layout there rather than much else. There's usually one member of staff in the booking office (who also does stuff like gritting and one assumes assistance - or do guards place the ramp?) and sometimes a gateline attendant but most of the time the gateline is unstaffed and open.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As far as the customer / passenger is concerned how assistance is provided is irrelevant. What they very reasonably expect is for it to be available when 'the railway' states that it is.
I don't suggest otherwise! It has never been any good in the 14 years i have used the service!

that is, erm, inaccurate - it might be the desire but it certainly is not the reality! In any event, for non ambulatory assistance you aren't getting off P6. The train is supposed to go into P5 in those circumstances.

Travelmonkey

Bletchley in any meaningful sense is a smallish station. It has 6 platforms because of the track layout there rather than much else. There's usually one member of staff in the booking office (who also does stuff like gritting and one assumes assistance - or do guards place the ramp?) and sometimes a gateline attendant but most of the time the gateline is unstaffed and open.
The guards on the 150s sort the ramp but for the 350s station staff do it.

Railperf

Established Member
Had a run across there earlier this week. 150141 is a bit low on power - struggling to reach more than 45mph but maintained the timings. More than a dozen people on board and picked up dropped off quite a few along the way. Good thst it managed to reopen

Edvid

Established Member
Been a while since I travelled on the line so am planning to make another trip tomorrow.

Incidentally, for the duration of the £1 single / £2 return offer, the Plusbus day tickets at both ends will be more expensive than an anytime day return between the two!

Bletchley - £3.30 / Bedford - £3.70

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One diagram cancelled today due to unit failure. Are there only two in usable condition now? Is the third being repaired or has it just become a parts bin on wheels?

And why aren't the RRBs ever entered in the system? It becomes rather a guessing game.

sibbahz

One diagram cancelled today due to unit failure. Are there only two in usable condition now? Is the third being repaired or has it just become a parts bin on wheels?

And why aren't the RRBs ever entered in the system? It becomes rather a guessing game.
Looks like the cancelled service is back. The one I planned to get was cancelled, but supposedly not any more, as I’m sitting on it!

Frothy_B

All three units seem to be used regularly. 141 seems to be out most often. 139 seems to be next in frequency followed by 137 least, but thats just my own observation.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Reliability on the line seems patchy. If something goes wrong it seems to wipe out large sections of the service.
All three units seem to be used regularly. 141 seems to be out most often. 139 seems to be next in frequency followed by 137 least, but thats just my own observation.

tallies with my own use. Strangely when the line restarted it was the other way around with 141 being a bit shy!

Silverlinky

150137 has had intermittent gearbox faults over the past couple of weeks, failing twice in the last week alone. An operational incident put paid to some services this morning.

Better news however is that there will be a service on the line on both Good Friday and Easter Monday to assist as the WCML is closed between Milton Keynes and Euston. The line will operate alongside coaches from MK to Bedford to connect into GTR and MML services into London.

We await news on what will run over the period of industrial action between 4th and 9th April, there will be no service on the 5th for sure.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Better news however is that there will be a service on the line on both Good Friday and Easter Monday to assist as the WCML is closed between Milton Keynes and Euston. The line will operate alongside coaches from MK to Bedford to connect into GTR and MML services into London.

You'd hope that there would also be a connecting bus from Bletchley to MKC, surely?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You'd hope that there would also be a connecting bus from Bletchley to MKC, surely?

Yes, there is. But it'll be slower than a direct coach to Bedford and has very limited capacity, so the Marston Vale connection is only really intended for those travelling from Bletchley, Leighton etc.

Those with cars who live in MK and want to go to London are probably best placed driving to somewhere like Aylesbury Vale Parkway, anyway. That was what everyone did during the months of disruption in the early 2000s for West Coast Route Modernisation. There was a massive coach operation with surprisingly few passengers (which is why something of that scale has not been repeated).

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Those with cars who live in MK and want to go to London are probably best placed driving to somewhere like Aylesbury Vale Parkway, anyway.
Thanks to a fantastic bit of joined up planning, Chiltern are bustituted Aylesbury Vale Parkway - Aylesbury - Stoke Mandeville - Wendover - Great Missenden - Amersham - Beaconsfield all weekend as well.