• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marston Vale line suspension over - FULL services start running 19/02/24

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I hope not running in service as we have seen no publicity !
In service... unadvertised... provided the data supplied by Network Rail is correct...

1697028190686.png

Picture translation: Screenshot of Real Time Trains showing the 13.45 Bletchley to Bedford, all stations, to be running as 2S17 with the description "unadvertised ordinary passenger".

Ibex

They're still test runs until November or so, I believe the reasoning for a class 2 headcode is because they releasing the doors at each station. Presumably you'd be stopped from boarding if you tried however.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
They're still test runs until November or so, I believe the reasoning for a class 2 headcode is because they releasing the doors at each station. Presumably you'd be stopped from boarding if you tried however.
That's interesting - because I've seen door releases on tests of new stock on the South western previously which were running under the usual 5Qxx headcodes...

Spartacus

Established Member
I know they're running with the regular headcodes but if they're not in service they should be changed to a 5 or 3, rather than just running unadvertised, which suggests passengers on board, even if just dignitaries or whatever. It's simple enough to do, one way or another.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
So you would complain very audibly all year about the lack of service, and when trains finally arrived then say you hope it’s not running? :lol:
More in that it would be another missed promotional opportunity and that after nearly a year with no service and at least 4 years of dog poop service they might, you know, TELL us that trains were back!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
More in that it would be another missed promotional opportunity and that after nearly a year with no service and at least 4 years of dog poop service they might, you know, TELL us that trains were back!
Yes, you might expect LNR to want to make rather a song and dance of it to make themselves look good, a sort of "Look at us heroes, we've brought back the service that Vivarail caused to be lost!" or something.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They'll certainly be rather colourful trains, white and bright green externally and Northern's gaudy blue and yellow inside :lol:

Does anyone know if they've replaced the seat covers? They clearly won't repaint the dark blue, but to be fair that'll look fine against the grey covers, there's plenty of dark blue in 350s too.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Does anyone know if they've replaced the seat covers? They clearly won't repaint the dark blue, but to be fair that'll look fine against the grey covers, there's plenty of dark blue in 350s too.
I'd say there's more yellow inside than dark blue when you ignore the upholstery.

SargeNpton

Established Member
I know they're running with the regular headcodes but if they're not in service they should be changed to a 5 or 3, rather than just running unadvertised, which suggests passengers on board, even if just dignitaries or whatever. It's simple enough to do, one way or another.
Class 2 "Unadvertised passenger trains" run for a variety of reasons. Not using 3 or 5 does mean that the signallers and controls don't get tempted to hold them up.

Jimini

Established Member
Just went through Reading and it looks like the old Vivarail stock in the sidings to the west of the station has been well decorated by the locals with various shades of spray paint..

Spartacus

Established Member
Class 2 "Unadvertised passenger trains" run for a variety of reasons. Not using 3 or 5 does mean that the signallers and controls don't get tempted to hold them up.

3 could be used to give a certain amount of priority, but as is said, it's hardly a busy line, and probably more important to get the ECSs in and out of Bedford promptly anyway. Could I suppose be useful if there's a lot of staff on board. Just another curiosity I guess.

Silverlinky

Definitely running as training trains still for a few weeks yet, training underway for both drivers and guards. I'm told there is a public 'meet the train day' on 30th October Monday afternoon at Bletchley.
November 13th is target date for start of passenger service.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hearing that yesterday (18/10) one of the training runs "interacted" with a car on a user worked crossing and was damaged. This damage could delay the return of service trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hearing that yesterday (18/10) one of the training runs "interacted" with a car on a user worked crossing and was damaged. This damage could delay the return of service trains.

I heard that. As they have three units I'm not quite sure why that at least prevents the return of one diagram (presuamably it would be too unreliable without a spare unit at all), and a well-timed one diagram service can actually be quite useful - the weekday COVID one diagram service was actually quite well timed for most likely users (Saturday was just two hourly). Probably to be expected when people think the line is closed as they haven't seen a train on it for ages, though of course not excusable and there have been odd freights.

Rail Quest

Are any of the other units currently getting a new livery? If so, that could mean two units currently out of action with one damaged and one in works