• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2021 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Ok, cheers.

Is this a new 'normal' timetable that will last intact until December at least or just more amendments to the current 'emergency' timetable?

New ‘normal’ until the next planned change in September (although unlikely much will change then)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
Hi are EMR no longer running services to York from May? I quite enjoyed seeing them on weekends.
The plan is to run 2 on Saturdays and 1 on Sundays I believe, but they’re not in the system yet for some reason.

newtownmgr

Possibly Covid given we still don't officially know when leisure travel long distance will be allowed
Stay at home message ends 29th Mar & becomes stay local until 12th April. That aside potentially 17th May is more likely to see longer distance traveling starting to return.

ivorytoast28

Possibly Covid given we still don't officially know when leisure travel long distance will be allowed
Plenty of people will be looking to get away as soon as they can I would have thought, so expect some long distance travel after the 12th April when stays in self contained accomodation are allowed.
And certainly into May and June as other stuff opens up people will be desperate to get out again this summer

HST43257

Established Member
Stay at home message ends 29th Mar & becomes stay local until 12th April. That aside potentially 17th May is more likely to see longer distance traveling starting to return.
If 17th May is international (as proposed in the roadmap) then 12th April seems to make sense for full domestic travel. More to this, overnight stays and many travel-needing activities are allowed from 12th April. Stay Local from 29th March (which I believe to be police district, but I could be wrong) and anything from the 12th April.

Glenn1969

Established Member
17th May is the earliest date for international travel. Personally given the slow vaccine rollout in the EU I don't see it before October without some form of vaccine passport. 17th May is also I think the date hotels can open. 12th April is self catering only and no indoor facilities

HST43257

Established Member
17th May is the earliest date for international travel. Personally given the slow vaccine rollout in the EU I don't see it before October without some form of vaccine passport.
Europe’s situation does look worse, so we should at least stick with hotel quarantine for the next year or so.

17th May is also I think the date hotels can open. 12th April is self catering only and no indoor facilities
Even so, not every local area will have a zoo (this is probably incorrect), so longer distance travel will be required.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If 17th May is international (as proposed in the roadmap) then 12th April seems to make sense for full domestic travel. More to this, overnight stays and many travel-needing activities are allowed from 12th April. Stay Local from 29th March (which I believe to be police district, but I could be wrong) and anything from the 12th April.
The advice may still be to stay local from 29 March but it will no longer be the law - at least for England.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Europe’s situation does look worse, so we should at least stick with hotel quarantine for the next year or so.

Even so, not every local area will have a zoo (this is probably incorrect), so longer distance travel will be required.

No countries in Europe are on the UK ‘Red List’ requiring Hotel Quarantine currently.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we stick to discussing the May 2021 Timetable Change in this thread please?

All the other stuff is already covered by threads in the Covid section

Voyager lad

Probably a bit of a silly question, but does anyone know what’s happening with the Avanti services to Walsall, and summer services to Llandudno? Both were due to commence from this May but I can’t seem to find any information on when they will now start!

The Planner

Veteran Member
Considering they aren't expecting to be back at 9tph out of Euston until at least the end of summer, they won't be appearing soon.

tommy2215

Obviously this is subject to change, but from 13/09 in RTT it shows a full service to/from London Euston for Avanti services. Including the old departure times.

Starmill

Veteran Member
What proportion of visitors to the Cairngorms used rail in the first place? And even the full service on the Highland Mainline wasn't exactly attractive.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Once the May timetable is agreed, what are the possibilities of services being removed nearer the time, due to demand relating to covid-19?

I mean obviously they want all the paths in to stop them being lost but they might not need them all to be used at that point.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Once the May timetable is agreed, what are the possibilities of services being removed nearer the time, due to demand relating to covid-19?

I mean obviously they want all the paths in to stop them being lost but they might not need them all to be used at that point.
Services can be STP cancelled, as one option. That removes them from being shown on passenger facing systems.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

The May timetable was agreed in January, and again (heavily revised) a few weeks ago, which is what you can see on Real Time Trains etc. It’s unlikely there will be any major changes to it, although you can’t yet rule it out.

cuccir

Established Member
Pre-pandemic there was a morning Derby-Newcastle CrossCountry service, arrived into Newcastle at around 08:30. I see that it's not yet back in the May 2021 timetable... anyone got any insights on this service?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Pre-pandemic there was a morning Derby-Newcastle CrossCountry service, arrived into Newcastle at around 08:30. I see that it's not yet back in the May 2021 timetable... anyone got any insights on this service?
It was a glorified ECS in some ways. I'm not too sure when (if) it will return.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Presumably the 0559 Derby to Newcastle went on to work the 0935 Newcastle to Southampton Central, which hasn't been running for the past year. I would guess that they would return together, if they do.

I wouldn't call it a "glorified ECS" by any means however, just because it didn't come from Birmingham. As the first service of the day from Sheffield to York and the North East, and to provide necessary commuter capacity from Darlington (0759) and Durham (0817) to Newcastle city centre, it clearly performed functions in its own right. That's not to say that those are necessary right now, of course, nor that they will be funded in the future.

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
to provide necessary commuter capacity from Darlington (0759) and Durham (0817) to Newcastle city centre, it clearly performed functions in its own right... As the first service of the day from Sheffield to York and the North East,
You've picked up the reasoning for my question! It was comfortably the most punctual/reliable of the commuting services which I used for work, and would be missed by me at least. It was not for a commuter-period service very busy but still usually pulled into Newcastle with 75-100% of seats used so served a function. For pedantry's sake there are a few earlier trains from York mind.

Starmill

Veteran Member
At least there is still the 0708 from Leeds, which arrives in Newcastle at 0837 and I think is usually a 9 car 800.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
No, they were supposed to get going properly in May 2020 but obviously things changed in March. Interesting that they still appear in realtimetrains though, I guess there must still be an aspiration to run them at some point.

They ran very, very briefly between Jan 2020 - March 2020 but I cannot recall if it was half-hourly or hourly from Paddington at xx15 and/or xx45.

Some other changes involved are:

1736 Paddington - Paignton service now terminates at Plymouth (missing out Maidenhead in the process as there's presumably less commuters to anger!)

Trains no longer detaching/attaching at Plymouth and running fully throughout to Penzance as 9 or 10-cars (I'm sure @irish_rail will be moderately pleased!):
1004 Paddington to Penzance
1404 Paddington to Penzance
0910 Penzance to Paddington
1015 Penzance to Paddington
1615 Penzance to Paddington

Last edited:

Mintona

Established Member
They ran very, very briefly between Jan 2020 - March 2020 but I cannot recall if it was half-hourly or hourly from Paddington at xx15 and/or xx45.

Some other changes involved are:

1736 Paddington - Paignton service now terminates at Plymouth (missing out Maidenhead in the process as there's presumably less commuters to anger!)

Trains no longer detaching/attaching at Plymouth and running fully throughout to Penzance as 9 or 10-cars (I'm sure @irish_rail will be moderately pleased!):
1004 Paddington to Penzance
1404 Paddington to Penzance
0910 Penzance to Paddington
1015 Penzance to Paddington
1615 Penzance to Paddington

A couple ran in the peaks but they certainly didn’t run hourly or half hourly throughout the day.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A couple ran in the peaks but they certainly didn’t run hourly or half hourly throughout the day.

It seems so long ago even though it was only last year! I distinctly remember some xx15 trains in the shoulder peaks, but yes I don't think the intention was to bring the 2nd superfast until May 2020 anyway.

I don't think the Cardiff terminators are coming back either in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.