• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I’m seeing that non compliance is rising, people are done with this, seeing far fewer masks.

More news of hypocrisy that Boris and Sunak don’t have to isolate, despite being pinged

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

quantinghome

Established Member
I’m seeing that non compliance is rising, people are done with this, seeing far fewer masks.

More news of hypocrisy that Boris and Sunak don’t have to isolate, despite being pinged
They swiftly changed their tune. But the idea they thought they could get away with it in the first place...

As for non-compliance, be careful what you wish for. I agree with Oliver Johnson's tweet:
Paradoxically, if enough people believe it'll all be fine it may well not be, but if enough people believe it won't it might be.

brad465

Established Member
They swiftly changed their tune. But the idea they thought they could get away with it in the first place...

As for non-compliance, be careful what you wish for. I agree with Oliver Johnson's tweet:
Some scientists believe that thanks to Delta, the R0 value for Covid could now be as high as 5-8, much higher than well known winter viruses (not as high though as chickenpox and measles, but there's different immunity levels and behaviour there). If this is true, I don't think all the caution in the world will stop covid spreading, and the best we can hope for is enough immunity builds up through the various channels to naturally bring about a peak. The situation in India with delta was dire, but even there the extremely high peak quickly dropped off, and looking at a graph of it the wave lasted around 3 months, much shorter than its first wave and our winter wave. As unfortunate as this can be, nature is better than us.

On the U-turn while the quick decision may have prevented some damage happening, the initial decision is out there and already did damage that won't be repaired.

quantinghome

Established Member
Some scientists believe that thanks to Delta, the R0 value for Covid could now be as high as 5-8, much higher than well known winter viruses (not as high though as chickenpox and measles, but there's different immunity levels and behaviour there). If this is true, I don't think all the caution in the world will stop covid spreading, and the best we can hope for is enough immunity builds up through the various channels to naturally bring about a peak. The situation in India with delta was dire, but even there the extremely high peak quickly dropped off, and looking at a graph of it the wave lasted around 3 months, much shorter than its first wave and our winter wave. As unfortunate as this can be, nature is better than us.
Clearly we can't stop the Delta variant spreading. Nor should we need to with the extent of the vaccine rollout. There will always be an exit wave, but the extent of the wave will be governed by how quickly the virus spreads and different levels of precaution do have an effect on spread - see the difference between England and Wales. So the rate of spread can be reduced, and I would see that as a good thing, as more people gain immunity from vaccination than infection.

On the U-turn while the quick decision may have prevented some damage happening, the initial decision is out there and already did damage that won't be repaired.
I agree wholeheartedly and hope the 'shoe will drop' for many people as a result.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Funnily enough, I would agree with that sentiment in terms of vaccination - i.e. "if enough people are worried enough to get fully vaccinated.....".

However I don't really agree with that in terms of pretty marginal measures such as face cloth wearing on public transport. People are getting on with their lives and meeting with people which will ultimately drive the rate of spread, and that will overwhelm any effect of face cloths.

Class 33

Established Member
With (un)-social distancing restrictions finally ending tomorrow, it will be interesting tomorrow on the news programmes if the practice of (un)-social distancing is still being followed. For instance on the main ITV Local 6pm programmes there are two news anchors who sit 2 metres apart. Will they be sat closer to each other from tomorrow like they were pre-Covid? Also on any of the news when the journalists are talking to someone in the street(or wherever) will they still be standing 2 metres away from each other? I think chances are the news broadcasters will still be sticking to (un)-social distancing for the time being at least. But would be pleasantly surprised if not.

westv

Established Member
Also on any of the news when the journalists are talking to someone in the street(or wherever) will they still be standing 2 metres away from each other?
Someone must have done a roaring trade in those long poles they stuck their mics on.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Great unbiased source!!
It's starting to sound like the bloody Sandy Hook crazies who think all that was "ACTORS!!!!" too.
You might ridicule the source, but it doesn’t change the fact of all these characters having online profiles that confirm they have acting & previous acting experience

Class 33

Established Member
With (un)-social distancing restrictions finally ending tomorrow, it will be interesting tomorrow on the news programmes if the practice of (un)-social distancing is still being followed. For instance on the main ITV Local 6pm programmes there are two news anchors who sit 2 metres apart. Will they be sat closer to each other from tomorrow like they were pre-Covid? Also on any of the news when the journalists are talking to someone in the street(or wherever) will they still be standing 2 metres away from each other? I think chances are the news broadcasters will still be sticking to (un)-social distancing for the time being at least. But would be pleasantly surprised if not.

Just watched ITV News West Country, and the presenters are still sat 2 metres apart. Not a surprise though, as I knew this practice will probably still continue for a while yet.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I see Boris wants passports to enter nightclubs as early as September, is he not aware that his idol Churchill stood against fascism?

Any venue that endorses this deserves to lose custom, thankfully I reckon it’ll be a minority of ninnies that that will enforce this

Eyersey468

Established Member
I see Boris wants passports to enter nightclubs as early as September, is he not aware that his idol Churchill stood against fascism?

Any venue that endorses this deserves to lose custom, thankfully I reckon it’ll be a minority of ninnies that that will enforce this
Is this the thin end of the wedge?

brad465

Established Member
This is not being widely reported as yet, but it turns out Sir Patrick Vallance's remarks in the press conference yesterday about 60% of hospital patients being vaccinated was wrong, and actually it was 60% unvaccinated:

Correcting a statistic I gave at the press conference today, 19 July. About 60% of hospitalisations from covid are not from double vaccinated people, rather 60% of hospitalisations from covid are currently from unvaccinated people.

This is really bad, as its fuelled anti-vax sentiment apparently (or at least given conspiracy theory anti-vaxxers fuel to their views) and really highlights either incompetency or perhaps attempts to fearmonger through false data/claims.

Class 33

Established Member
Also just seen a second of The One Show just before I put a DVD on. I notice they're still all sat 2 metres apart from each other on the sofas. Errr... social distancing is over now!

35B

Established Member
Also just seen a second of The One Show just before I put a DVD on. I notice they're still all sat 2 metres apart from each other on the sofas. Errr... social distancing is over now!
Compulsory social distancing is.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
At what point has social distancing been complusory in England?
For the general public it hasn't been, but for employers they have had to legally try to reduce the risk within the workplace and part of the way doing that has been social distancing whilst at work.

MikeWM

Established Member
At what point has social distancing been complusory in England?

It was required in hospitality ('any business which provides food or drink for consumption on its premises') under the 'Obligations Of Undertakings' Regulations, between last September and two days ago (when not superceded by lockdowns or tiers or steps or whatever).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1008/regulation/2/2020-09-18
2.—(1) A person responsible for carrying on a business of a public house, café, restaurant or other relevant business must, during the emergency period, take all reasonable measures to ensure that—
(d)an appropriate distance is maintained between tables occupied by different qualifying groups.

(2) For the purposes of this regulation—
(a)an “appropriate distance” means a distance between tables of—
(i)at least two metres, or
(ii)at least one metre, if—
(aa)there are barriers or screens between tables;
(bb)the tables are arranged with back to back seating, or otherwise arranged to ensure that persons sitting at one table do not face any person sitting at another table at a distance of less than two metres; or
(cc)other measures are taken to limit the risk of transmission of the coronavirus between people sitting at different tables;

But this was the only place it was actually law, as far as I'm aware.

Jonny

Established Member
The Telegraph has actually used the word conspiracy in one of its headlines, about vaccine passports, posted without further comment:

Vaccine passports are a conspiracy against freedom
Turning Britain into a 'papers please' society is a slippery slope that ought to worry us all

They denied it vehemently. For months, it felt like half the Cabinet was busy quashing rumours that domestic vaccine passports would ever feature in English daily life. Again and again, vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi ruled out the introduction of a system he branded “discriminatory”. “That’s not how we do things. We do them by consent,” he declared loftily in February....
(limit of article due to paywall)

Domh245

Established Member
The Telegraph has actually used the word conspiracy in one of its headlines, about vaccine passports, posted without further comment:

(limit of article due to paywall)

It's a telegraph "comment" - ie a columnist. No different to the Guardian's Opinion section

Status
Not open for further replies.