• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

shredder1

Established Member
I was going to have a ride over the Southport tomorrow, does anyone know if the 777`s are still on trials, I haven't actually seen one running yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skie

I was going to have a ride over the Southport tomorrow, does anyone know if the 777`s are still on trials, I haven't actually seen one running yet?
Yes they’re still running about during the day between normal services. Easy enough to spot on RTT/OTT or Tracksy

ExRes

Established Member
Yes from a very reliable source of mine Rail Adventure will be doing the moves with x4 Rail Adventure power cars.
With every now and then a swap of x2 power cars each way to eastleigh for maintenance. From Kings Norton if all goes to plan driver training and reliability wise. The first and a good few 507 508 scrap movements will be around early February unless a fault occurs or high on mileage. However that is subject to change. Rogs do have the scrapping moves to Newport though. Unless a better deal can happen elsewhere.
Also due to Rail Adventure owing the power cars they don't want the expensive hire of the 20s. So the 20s are pretty much gone. Unless a the power cars become suddenly unavailable.
However the moves from Rail Adventure will be the power cars and barriers.

Thanks very much @warwickshire for an interesting update

Established Member
Thanks for the info @8A Rail what made me mention the power cars is that RailAdventure/SLC have been doing the 'recent' moves between Crewe and Kirkdale rather than ROG so I was wondering if they'll carry on with that portion, assuming the 777s are delivered via Crewe for any work needed unless they can be sent Dollands Moor to Merseyside in one move
Yes from a very reliable source of mine Rail Adventure will be doing the moves with x4 Rail Adventure power cars.
With every now and then a swap of x2 power cars each way to eastleigh for maintenance. From Kings Norton if all goes to plan driver training and reliability wise. The first and a good few 507 508 scrap movements will be around early February unless a fault occurs or high on mileage. However that is subject to change. Rogs do have the scrapping moves to Newport though. Unless a better deal can happen elsewhere.
Also due to Rail Adventure owing the power cars they don't want the expensive hire of the 20s. So the 20s are pretty much gone. Unless a the power cars become suddenly unavailable.
However the moves from Rail Adventure will be the power cars and barriers.
RailAdventure did of course do the 777 moves in Europe as far as Calais and did not yet have a GB operation at the time of the last move through the tunnel or from Dollands Moor. It makes a lot of sense for them to do the future deliveries.

Established Member
I saw 777049 running a few times today so it’s likely you’ll see one tomorrow. It’s also very much worth a trip between Sandhills and Kirkdale on the Ormskirk/Kirkby lines to see all the 777s stabled there.

OutdoorM

Fabulous news! Cant wait to ride on them and get wifi in the tunnels.

Now if only they would link into the Borderline route (fingers crossed)

karlbbb

I'm sure some kind soul who is actually "in the know" would have let us know about any drivers' agreement with ASLEF so I always feel like it's worth taking Merseyrail's Twitter with a pinch of salt. That said, even driver training starting in a few weeks would be very welcome.

Shame they're putting them on the Kirkby line, though I'm biased because I'm on the Ormskirk line :D

Skie

That was the first thing I noticed. Weasel-words?
The Merseyrail twitter feed isnt the most grammatically correct source in the world. If the drivers are indeed being balloted now/imminently then it’ll take 2 weeks minimum to find out a result and then training would start pretty darned quick.

5-6 weeks seems a reasonable time to see the first trains in service if everything goes well, but if the ballot result is a no then it’s anyones guess.

Bow Fell

I'm sure some kind soul who is actually "in the know" would have let us know about any drivers' agreement with ASLEF so I always feel like it's worth taking Merseyrail's Twitter with a pinch of salt. That said, even driver training starting in a few weeks would be very welcome.

Shame they're putting them on the Kirkby line, though I'm biased because I'm on the Ormskirk line :D

Why is it worth taking with a pinch of salt, the social media team are only tweeting out what they’ve been told to, and used wording that they’ve been told to use. This has come directly from higher up, not just made up on the spot.

LPJOHN

First time I have seen one of the new trains “777049” at Liverpool Central. People on the platform seemed interested in it.

if there is not enough room to store the current fleet and the new trains at Kirkdale, Southport, etc, could some not be stored at the underground stations?, assuming no engineering access required?

Attachments

• B0794C50-ED8E-4677-8909-00344BC03386.jpeg
    B0794C50-ED8E-4677-8909-00344BC03386.jpeg
    829.5 KB · Views: 158

Vespa

Established Member
First time I have seen one of the new trains “777049” at Liverpool Central. People on the platform seemed interested in it.

if there is not enough room to store the current fleet and the new trains at Kirkdale, Southport, etc, could some not be stored at the underground stations?, assuming no engineering access required?
Already seeing rust on the couplers not a good sign.

jamesst

The drivers deal

No the underground comes under nightly possessions, the only exception is extreme cold weather when trains can indeed be stabled underground to guarantee some sort of service the next morning.

I saw 777049 running a few times today so it’s likely you’ll see one tomorrow. It’s also very much worth a trip between Sandhills and Kirkdale on the Ormskirk/Kirkby lines to see all the 777s stabled there.
It didn’t leave Kirkdale around 11am yesterday and sit on a centre line or the Southport bound line to the Liverpool end of Sandhills did it?
I managed to get 01/3/7/15/18 from the platform with Bono’s but thought there might have been one more at the back joined on to a unit.
Any ideas.

Liverpool 507

The Merseyrail twitter feed isnt the most grammatically correct source in the world. If the drivers are indeed being balloted now/imminently then it’ll take 2 weeks minimum to find out a result and then training would start pretty darned quick.

5-6 weeks seems a reasonable time to see the first trains in service if everything goes well, but if the ballot result is a no then it’s anyones guess.
Having performed in this role for another company, the team will be using information briefed by senior management and comms teams.

Why is it worth taking with a pinch of salt, the social media team are only tweeting out what they’ve been told to, and used wording that they’ve been told to use. This has come directly from higher up, not just made up on the spot.
Spot on.

Sam 76

Having performed in this role for another company, the team will be using information briefed by senior management and comms teams.

Spot on.
Thanks for the info !!! :). I’m assuming that maybe like the 196s this week it will just be a few services to start and a gradual build up to full service on the Kirkby line maybe ?

shredder1

Established Member
I caught up with 049 today, its the first one Ive seen turning a wheel, I saw it move off shed at Kirkdale, and then it arrived behind me at Liverpool Central, but I lost it after that and couldnt find it on RTT, Im wondering if it went to Birkenhead North?

Last edited:

Liverpool 507

I caught up with 049 today, its the first one Ive seen turning a wheel, I saw it move off shed at Kirkdale, and then it arrived behind me at Liverpool Central, but I lost it after that and couldnt find it on RTT, Im wondering it it went to Birkenhead North?
What time was that?

Ribbleman

Thanks for the info !!! :). I’m assuming that maybe like the 196s this week it will just be a few services to start and a gradual build up to full service on the Kirkby line maybe ?
Unless plans have changed very recently, the strategy is to convert the shorter services entirely, one at a time, starting with Kirkby, then Ormskirk, before New Brighton and West Kirby. The Southport-Hunts Cross and Liverpool-Chester services are likely to have a period of mixed operation due to the larger numbers of units required. Somewhere in that mix Ellesmere Port will be dropped in.

MattRat

On Moderation
Somewhere in that mix Ellesmere Port will be dropped in.
Since all units will have mainline batteries now, wouldn't it make more sense to just go to Helsby when they switch operation, since it's easy to implement, or would that require an extra unit?

8A Rail

Established Member

Sheridan

Since all units will have mainline batteries now, wouldn't it make more sense to just go to Helsby when they switch operation, since it's easy to implement, or would that require an extra unit?
It’s hardly ‘easy’ to start running to Helsby overnight, having not done so previously. It would probably be desirable in the future but to switch from 507/8s to Ellesmere Port to 777s to Helsby would require a lot of work.