• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

MDB1images

Another three Class 777's arrived on Wednesday (777020, 777026 and 777152), which now makes just 21 still to be delivered. All seven hybrid (battery / electric) Units have now been delivered with the arrival of 777152.

Kirkdale C.S. = 001 to 020 inclusive, 023, 026, 031, 036, 049, 140, 142, 144, 146, 148, 150 and 152#.

(I am aware one # of the new arrivals is still at WOJn pending movement to Kirkdale)
Hi Doug/all
I see from Real Time Trains the latest batch of Class 777's on delivery(020/026/152) didn't arrive at Kirkdale C.S until the early morning of the 22nd.
Is it confirmed that 777152(or one of the others, 020 or 026)has actually remained at Walton Old Jn as can't see any other departures later in the week if they didn't all go on the evening of the 21st.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8A Rail

Established Member
Hi Doug/all
I see from Real Time Trains the latest batch of Class 777's on delivery(020/026/152) didn't arrive at Kirkdale C.S until the early morning of the 22nd.
Is it confirmed that 777152(or one of the others, 020 or 026)has actually remained at Walton Old Jn as can't see any other departures later in the week if they didn't all go on the evening of the 21st.

I was away in Yorkshire last week so did not go into the finer details of the actual arrival at Kirkdale but I knew they had been delivered when I returned on Friday. Likewise it was then I found out that 777152 remained at WOJn MSC Sidings hence red highlight in my update. The Class 43 power cars returned to Northampton on Saturday.

Vinnym

Ive noticed the destination displays themselves seem to be quite confused on the Wirral Line, often heading to Liverpool the front displays will show Chester etc, likewise I have seen them heading from Liverpool to Chester displaying Liverpool Central on the front.
Twice in the past week I have seen the Ormskirk train arriving on platform 2 at Liverpool Central having reversed in the siding, displaying NOT IN SERVICE on the front display. Maybe just teething problems that will be sorted out in the near future.

Sam 76

507002 on Kirkby line today so more 777 issues. 35 mins past each hour off central.

Update now replaced by 777008

Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
777 on 2N17 just failed, terminated at Ham Sq delaying the West Kirby and E Port services behind it.

karlbbb

Twice in the past week I have seen the Ormskirk train arriving on platform 2 at Liverpool Central having reversed in the siding, displaying NOT IN SERVICE on the front display. Maybe just teething problems that will be sorted out in the near future.
It seems to that to get the PIS to display Ormskirk on the front when it comes from the reverse siding, the train manager/driver has to add in a new station before Liverpool Central on the system. I've seen this quite often now on the in-carriage displays, where there is a "Liverpool Central.", then "Liverpool Central", then "Moorfields" etc as normal. Note the . at the end of Central on the first station.

Sam 76

It seems to that to get the PIS to display Ormskirk on the front when it comes from the reverse siding, the train manager/driver has to add in a new station before Liverpool Central on the system. I've seen this quite often now on the in-carriage displays, where there is a "Liverpool Central.", then "Liverpool Central", then "Moorfields" etc as normal. Note the . at the end of Central on the first station.
Pretty sure this might be head-code related. If I understand it right the shunt is a different code to the actual service so that’s why it displays that. As soon as it switches to Ormskirk code it comes on

L401CJF

Established Member
Pretty sure this might be head-code related. If I understand it right the shunt is a different code to the actual service so that’s why it displays that. As soon as it switches to Ormskirk code it comes on
I noticed a 777 arrive at Liverpool Central earlier on (displaying Liverpool Central on the destination displays) - due to late running the booked shunt was cancelled and the unit turned straight back in service to Ormskirk. I noticed the displays change from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk whilst the driver and guard were both chatting half way down the train on the platform before changing ends. I thought this was a bit odd as nobody was in a cab to set it up!

Wirral Line observations today, noted 2x777 in the bays at Rock Ferry presumably acting as spares. 777010 on Ellesmere Port, 777002 on Chesters (didn't see any others but could well have been another) plus 1 on West Kirby and 1 on New Brighton. By late afternoon they all seemed to have disappeared with the exception of the 777 on Ellesmere Ports which was still knocking around late tonight.

As I mentioned before the 777 on 2N17 New Brighton was terminated at Hamilton Square toward Liverpool before being ran empty back to Birkenhead depot as 5N17. I didnt notice if it got replaced with another 777 or not. I did notice a 5WXX headcode appear on Traksy mid afternoon around 1345 at Birkenhead depot which appeared to be the 777 off West Kirbys heading back to base but no more details on that and unable to confirm.

Had a chat with a member of platform staff earlier ( I won't mention where ) who said they are a nightmare. Unfortunatley I cannot repeat his exact words on here as I doubt the mods would be impressed! I also overheard a guard on the Wirral chatting to some travelling staff about the 777s who also didn't have a good word to say about them. I'm quite friendly with a few traincrew at various Mersey depots and the general feeling is that theyre just not very good, "dreading having to turf everybody off because you know its coming". I am personally quite surprised as I thought being Stadler they would be a hell of a lot better.

What does concern me is that the ongoing issues with them still dont appear to have been resolved yet they're rolling them out regardless. If one packs up somewhere inconvenient such as the loop or link sections, then it knackers everything else up. The PIS still has a mind of its own either displaying the wrong direction or Not in service, the doors are a constant pain in the backside (apparently the current main issue for failure), passengers are being turfed off left right and center.

As a side note 2 of my family members (non enthusiast) have now both sampled them on the Wirral Line. My mother says she really doesn't like them - style over substance, not enough seats, feel very cramped, and very uncomfortable. My uncle says he likes the general feel of them, that they "feel like a European train", however the seats are awful.

I understand the 507/8 cannot go on forever, but the people of Merseyside have been hyped up for years on these brilliant new trains, designed for them specifically, and they arn't delivering. I get new stock has teething issues - I work brand new CAFs which have been far from perfect too - but with those there was a pause before accepting more while some issues were investigated and ironed out. With the 777s it seems to be a case of we know there are problems but roll them out anyway. However don't you dare complain as its first world problems and Steve Rotherham will be very upset!! ;):lol:

I am just a bit concerned that we are moving away from the reliable turn up and go network to a "best check twitter (X?) and see if its gone belly up first" sort of network. I have been a regular user for my whole life, never checked before leaving the house, I just go to the station knowing I wont be waiting more than 15 mins from a train. Heading toward a thing of the past by the look of it.. fingers crossed they get their act together and sort it out.

Note - this isn't a dig at the people behind the scenes trying to sort things out, but there was so much promise and so far a fair bit of disappointment.

Sam 76

I noticed a 777 arrive at Liverpool Central earlier on (displaying Liverpool Central on the destination displays) - due to late running the booked shunt was cancelled and the unit turned straight back in service to Ormskirk. I noticed the displays change from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk whilst the driver and guard were both chatting half way down the train on the platform before changing ends. I thought this was a bit odd as nobody was in a cab to set it up!

Wirral Line observations today, noted 2x777 in the bays at Rock Ferry presumably acting as spares. 777010 on Ellesmere Port, 777002 on Chesters (didn't see any others but could well have been another) plus 1 on West Kirby and 1 on New Brighton. By late afternoon they all seemed to have disappeared with the exception of the 777 on Ellesmere Ports which was still knocking around late tonight.

As I mentioned before the 777 on 2N17 New Brighton was terminated at Hamilton Square toward Liverpool before being ran empty back to Birkenhead depot as 5N17. I didnt notice if it got replaced with another 777 or not. I did notice a 5WXX headcode appear on Traksy mid afternoon around 1345 at Birkenhead depot which appeared to be the 777 off West Kirbys heading back to base but no more details on that and unable to confirm.

Had a chat with a member of platform staff earlier ( I won't mention where ) who said they are a nightmare. Unfortunatley I cannot repeat his exact words on here as I doubt the mods would be impressed! I also overheard a guard on the Wirral chatting to some travelling staff about the 777s who also didn't have a good word to say about them. I'm quite friendly with a few traincrew at various Mersey depots and the general feeling is that theyre just not very good, "dreading having to turf everybody off because you know its coming". I am personally quite surprised as I thought being Stadler they would be a hell of a lot better.

What does concern me is that the ongoing issues with them still dont appear to have been resolved yet they're rolling them out regardless. If one packs up somewhere inconvenient such as the loop or link sections, then it knackers everything else up. The PIS still has a mind of its own either displaying the wrong direction or Not in service, the doors are a constant pain in the backside (apparently the current main issue for failure), passengers are being turfed off left right and center.

As a side note 2 of my family members (non enthusiast) have now both sampled them on the Wirral Line. My mother says she really doesn't like them - style over substance, not enough seats, feel very cramped, and very uncomfortable. My uncle says he likes the general feel of them, that they "feel like a European train", however the seats are awful.

I understand the 507/8 cannot go on forever, but the people of Merseyside have been hyped up for years on these brilliant new trains, designed for them specifically, and they arn't delivering. I get new stock has teething issues - I work brand new CAFs which have been far from perfect too - but with those there was a pause before accepting more while some issues were investigated and ironed out. With the 777s it seems to be a case of we know there are problems but roll them out anyway. However don't you dare complain as its first world problems and Steve Rotherham will be very upset!! ;):lol:

I am just a bit concerned that we are moving away from the reliable turn up and go network to a "best check twitter (X?) and see if its gone belly up first" sort of network. I have been a regular user for my whole life, never checked before leaving the house, I just go to the station knowing I wont be waiting more than 15 mins from a train. Heading toward a thing of the past by the look of it.. fingers crossed they get their act together and sort it out.

Note - this isn't a dig at the people behind the scenes trying to sort things out, but there was so much promise and so far a fair bit of disappointment.
I feel like we have hit a crossroads with the rollout to be honest. On the Northern side they seem to be bedding in well now and becoming more reliable. Indeed as a commuter on the Southport line there have been a few more faults with the 507/508s in recent weeks as well. This in addition to 3 cars in peak becoming a more regular occurrence.

On the Wirral it’s like the rollout has started again and they struggle to make it though a day. This is disappointing as you would have hoped whatever fixed them on the Northern side would have on the Wirral but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

In terms of the rollout I believe it was halted twice to try and fix them, I seem to remember in March and June they disappeared completely for a time. It is worth noting as well that there has clearly been a lot of political pressure on the rollout which won’t have helped. In addition they can’t stop now as they are not overhauling 507s (a choice yes but one that’s been made) and that means more 777s have to come in. There’s no doubt at least in some ways they are better than before, but still not enough to be trusted by staff and commuters which is the ultimate requirement.

Last edited:

karlbbb

But that would be done on the platform. The 5Oxx moves are Central 1 > RS > Central 2, covering the whole manoeuvre. They then change to 2Oxx on the platform. But this would mean coming into the station displaying “Not in service”, so it definitely feels like they’re fudging it.

jamesst

But that would be done on the platform. The 5Oxx moves are Central 1 > RS > Central 2, covering the whole manoeuvre. They then change to 2Oxx on the platform. But this would mean coming into the station displaying “Not in service”, so it definitely feels like they’re fudging it.
If a unit is simply changing ends in the platform then the pis will just switch automatically from Liverpool Central to Ormskirk or Kirkby.

If a unit is switching platforms via the reverser then the pis will not recognise the route and so revert to not in service. Its up to the driver to reset the pis when the train shunts back in to the other platform before continuing in passenger service.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I only managed a trip on a 777 a few months ago from Liverpool Central to Kirkby and straight back to Kirkdale, so not particularly long, but I don't remember the seats being uncomfortable at all and I remember enjoying the big windows which let in plenty of sunlight on the overground sections.

Halsteadj

I kind of feel before making these statements posters should post both the trip they did (ie 5 minutes or 45 minutes), and also their BMI. I've no doubt to a very overweight person the zero padded seat may be ok, but not for everyone.
Post my BMI?!!! Are you serious?

I’m not overweight and thought the whole experience was really good. I look forward to many more journeys on 777s

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Post my BMI?!!! Are you serious?

I'm not posting mine but I am rather heavy. I'm not sure what that has to do with it though, the issue with the seats is the back which is unnaturally curved and that they're too narrow and the legroom appalling.

Metrolink trams are rubbish, too, FWIW. The M5000 is an awful, inefficiently laid out design. So I'd not hold that up as a comparison! My comparison would be with the excellent S8 or Class 345 doing similar work around London.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I'm not posting mine but I am rather heavy. I'm not sure what that has to do with it though, the issue with the seats is the back which is unnaturally curved and that they're too narrow and the legroom appalling.

Metrolink trams are rubbish, too, FWIW. The M5000 is an awful, inefficiently laid out design. So I'd not hold that up as a comparison! My comparison would be with the excellent S8 or Class 345 doing similar work around London.

I don’t mind saying I’m 6’2” and 17 stone and didn’t have an issue with the seat padding this afternoon. The main issue (as you say) for me was the unnaturally curved seat meaning I was forced to sit in a hunched position. A bit of a shame on what was an otherwise pleasant journey.

There’d been an issue (I think with the unit) that meant we ran fast from Birkenhead Central to Hooton so I wasn’t on it for as long as I would have been otherwise.

ExRes

Established Member
Both went to Kirkdale with 777152 at WOJN MSC Sidings. I am not aware of another Class 777 going to WOJN MSC Sidings from Kirkdale, why would one go anyway?

RailAdventure schedule on RTT for tomorrow 0700 6Z76 Kidderminster SVR to Walton Old Jct MSC Sidings, no onward schedule as yet

8A Rail

Established Member
I did the journey on Friday from Liverpool Central to Chester on 777001. No issues with seat comfort, nor do I have any issues with Fainsa ironboards or 80X seating. Regulations change over time, people fussing and practically expecting new trains to come with leather Dreamliner seats.
Well at least one passenger / customer is happy with Merseyrail then! :lol:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I kind of feel before making these statements posters should post both the trip they did (ie 5 minutes or 45 minutes), and also their BMI. I've no doubt to a very overweight person the zero padded seat may be ok, but not for everyone.
You do post some funny things but telling people to post their BMI has to be my favourite :lol: I agree that larger people might be better padded and thus be fine with the seat, but I’m bony and underweight, skinny as a pole, and I find things like Fainsa Sophias perfectly comfortable.

irish_rail

Established Member
You do post some funny things but telling people to post their BMI has to be my favourite :lol: I agree that larger people might be better padded and thus be fine with the seat, but I’m bony and underweight, skinny as a pole, and I find things like Fainsa Sophias perfectly comfortable.
Im making a point. It bugs me when people come on here and say how they are fine with a seat. Well just because they are fine, doesn't mean everyone will be fine. By all accounts the seats in question are abysmally designed for taller or less well padded people. A short overweight person may well get on fine with the seat, but that doesn't make the seating fine.

L401CJF

Established Member
Lots of disruption on the Chester/Ellesmere Port line this morning due to a broken down train at Rock Ferry. 5B00 Kirkdale-Chester appears to have been the problem unit delayed by 57mins at Rock Ferry, now showing in the bay platform at Hooton on Traksy. Unsure if a 50X or a 777?

Edit 5C02 and 5Y42 both appear to have passed extremely late too before 5B00 whilst services were running on time, so unsure which one has caused the problem!

***Further edit - 777002, 010, 013 noted on Chesters this morning.

Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
Apparently this mornings failure was 777001 at Rock Ferry unable to take power.

Ham Square one apparently 777010 with a door related issue.

irish_rail

Established Member
A

All I can say is at least from Chester to Liverpool there is an alternative TFW service! I don't think I'd chance merseyrail now that the 50x are largely removed from the Wirral line trains.

MattRat

On Moderation
A

All I can say is at least from Chester to Liverpool there is an alternative TFW service! I don't think I'd chance merseyrail now that the 50x are largely removed from the Wirral line trains.
It's more expensive and slower, so not for everyone.

irish_rail

Established Member
It's more expensive and slower, so not for everyone.
Its quicker if the merseyrail train breaks down! (Thats my point - there's a fair chance by using the merseyrail ill end up stranded, at least the TFw is more likely not to break down!)

Having riden the 777s quite alot now, I don't understand where the seat issues are coming from, sure they are less padded than something like a 319, but are a huge improvement from the 507/8. They are just as hard & similar shape, but the fabric is so much nicer to sit on with thin clothes & the 'leather' headrests are infinitely nicer to lean back on. The information screens seem to be accurate now, although I have noticed that most people still haven't realised that the door buttons can be pressed before the stop.
I'm guessing you are 5"8 or shorter? This to me is a massive issue, that anyone of above average height, so we are not talking giants, just anyone above the average seem to be having issues with the shape of the seat. Whilst merseyrail are bending over backwards to accommodate everyone with a disabilty (and rightly so) yet they seem to be happy to discriminate against the significant proportion of society who are taller than the average height.

Bevan Price

Established Member

Yes. I was on that service. Driver announced "Sorry. The CCTV is not working, and I am unable to open the doors". He eventually went to the back cab, presumably to reboot the computer (he apparently tried but failed to do that from the front cab), and 777010 was restored to working order, but being almost 30 minutes late, the train was terminated in a bay platform at Rock Ferry. (777011 was parked in the other bay. )