• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

karlbbb

Still only four of the six Ormskirk line workings are covered, and two in a row are missing. This is shambolic.

There are seemingly no spare 507s to step into the breach; this is what happens when you send far too many of them for scrap too soon. We said service would start being dropped and here we go.
Shambolic is definitely true. It's still down to 4 trains out of 6 at time of writing, so that's 08:53-12:28 with no sign of any replacement trains.

Also, while not a 777 (I think), there's a unit at Bank Hall now showing as 5U25 and sat at a red. EDIT: Typical, got cleared and started moving as soon as I posted.

prod_pep

Established Member
Shambolic is definitely true. It's still down to 4 trains out of 6 at time of writing, so that's 08:53-12:28 with no sign of any replacement trains.

Also, while not a 777 (I think), there's a unit at Bank Hall now showing as 5U25 and sat at a red. EDIT: Typical, got cleared and started moving as soon as I posted.
I believe that was 507032 which tipped its passengers at Hightown with a fault on the 1142 off Southport so the old guard not immune from issues.

Mind you, there are scales of problems. Now the Wirral Line is in chaos due to 777 failures. :rolleyes:

karlbbb

I believe that was 507032 which tipped its passengers at Hightown with a fault on the 1142 off Southport so the old guard not immune from issues.

Mind you, there are scales of problems. Now the Wirral Line is in chaos due to 777 failures. :rolleyes:
They've at least bumped Ormskirk to 5 units now. One left Kirkdale and is now running as 2O28. No unit to run 2O29 yet.

I believe they're not all 777 related, but as of 1:15pm today, Merseyrail have tweeted about 11 different batches of cancellations due to train faults. Annoying passengers to the extent where a petition has been set up..

It’s 1:15PM, and this is the 11th train fault reported today.

Any comment @MetroMayorSteve ?

Are the colder than normal temperatures to blame? I don't remember them having this many issues in the cold last year, or were they all passed off of "teething problems" as they had literally just been introduced?

Last edited:

Sam 76

I believe they're not all 777 related, but as of 1:15pm today, Merseyrail have tweeted about 11 different batches of cancellations due to train faults. Annoying passengers to the extent where a petition has been set up..

Are the colder than normal temperatures to blame? I don't remember them having this many issues in the cold last year, or were they all passed off of "teething problems" as they had literally just been introduced?
I think the cold is doing the Headbolt Lane Units in.

baldyman26

Well the petition should be aimed at Stadler and the no photo opportunity or blame to land elsewhere so I'll stay quiet Mayor. These trains have been forced upon Merseyrail. They wouldn't cancel them for the sake of it.

Liverpool 507

The only one of the 777/1s I haven't seen in service is 777150. The other six have definitely all been used, although one (777144?) is clearly long-term out of service.

777150 has been in service (seen on 6 Dec, not sure what it has done since), so it that case all of them have worked at some point and only being able to cover 2 diagrams is a bit suspicious.. :rolleyes:

Just asked someone who had internal information, 140, 142 and 152 have all been causing issues today. Some issues with the collector shoes not raising/lowering and others having DRS faults.. does anyone know what the latter may be?

Another has also just broken down on the line as we speak, believe the culprit this time is 2F58 at Fazakerly, with 2F59 now stuck behind it as Headbolt Lane.. Rail replacement buses are in operation.
I know 777150 was the first of the class to have a fatality in November, but it has been in service since then. One would assume it is one of the more troublesome units. 777148 and 777152 seem to be the regular service contenders.

Bikeman78

Established Member

What makes the clicking noise on the 507s in the leading cab, usually around the time the doors are closing? I noticed one heading to Southport the other day kept doing it whilst the train was moving which I've never heard before. Didn't seem to affect the movement of the train but I remember thinking that it didn't sound very healthy.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Nothing on RTT. All of Chester, Ellesmere Port, West Kirby, Ormskirk and Headbolt Lane are meant to be 777s. XX23 off New Brighton is a 777, the other three diagrams are 507s. Only one turn to Southport which, off the top of my head, includes the 0942, 1212 and 1712 departures from Southport.
Isn't the 777 on Southport easier to identify as it runs under a class 1 headcode rather than as a class 2?

prod_pep

Established Member
777012 and 777049 took up the two Ormskirk line diagrams which were missing for hours. I'm not sure if these were the same sets which failed earlier, but 777012 seems to be a particularly troublesome unit.

Vinnym

A year ago, full strength meant pairs on some peak trains. Will they ever run pairs to Ormskirk again?
There was always at least two six car trains on the Ormskirk at the tea time peak until the introduction of the 777. They normally ran right through till when the service went half hourly.

karlbbb

A year ago, full strength meant pairs on some peak trains. Will they ever run pairs to Ormskirk again?
Given they've extended platforms, added 8-car stop markers, and moved the buffers at Ormskirk, the plan is clearly to run them in pairs again. The elephant in the room is that there's been next to no visible tests of 8-car trains for a while, and so it seems that the software issues plaguing units that link up (especially when it's got mismatched odd/even unit numbers) have not yet been solved to a reasonable degree. It's a real shame it's taking so long.

It likely also requires a bit more room at Kirkdale. If you watch the live maps in the morning you can see a few trains leaving Kirkdale to get over to the Wirral lines, and I assume these trains would be kept at Birkenhead North in the future, once capacity there is freed thanks to 507 scrapping. After that, Kirkdale can accept the final deliveries that will bring the Southport line into play, and (hopefully) get Ormskirk with its double units again.

(This is just how I've interpreted the situation; likely someone way more in the know can yes/no this post).

M28361M

Merseyrail have announced that Headbolt goes back to three trains per hour from tomorrow.
Due to an increase in available trains, three trains per hour will be in service on the Headbolt Lane line from the start of service on Friday 19th January.

The increase will begin from the start of services and run until the evening frequency of trains starts at 20:11.
Fingers crossed they can sustain it, and then get back to 4 tph soon.

Liverpool 507

Given they've extended platforms, added 8-car stop markers, and moved the buffers at Ormskirk, the plan is clearly to run them in pairs again. The elephant in the room is that there's been next to no visible tests of 8-car trains for a while, and so it seems that the software issues plaguing units that link up (especially when it's got mismatched odd/even unit numbers) have not yet been solved to a reasonable degree. It's a real shame it's taking so long.

It likely also requires a bit more room at Kirkdale. If you watch the live maps in the morning you can see a few trains leaving Kirkdale to get over to the Wirral lines, and I assume these trains would be kept at Birkenhead North in the future, once capacity there is freed thanks to 507 scrapping. After that, Kirkdale can accept the final deliveries that will bring the Southport line into play, and (hopefully) get Ormskirk with its double units again.

(This is just how I've interpreted the situation; likely someone way more in the know can yes/no this post).
I hope to god some sort of plan is in place for the Grand National!

NeoJade

There has been coupling tests etc basically constantly at KKD. Id assume its just that so many 777s are having software issues that its not worth doubling the failure risk at the moment to have them in pairs.

Also, little update, it seems theres a new voice joining the network soon alongside Julie. A male voice thats mainly doing "Stand clear of the closing doors" at the moment. Seems to be only on the 777/1s. and Juiie's announcements have finally been properly updated for HBL, with less tacky termination announcements, and better interchange announcements across the network (Oh! and a brand new CCTV announcement)

karlbbb

There's a valiant effort on the Headbolt line this morning to keep the three units running, though I've yet to see any run on time. Delays ranging from 3 to 15 minutes late on nearly all services.

MTN 24J

My journey from Central to Kirkby was horrific last night with the 777/1's. The 19:05 was cancelled after being delayed due to the unit coming down from Kirkby had a fault and was stuck at Kirkby for 10+ minutes, we were told to get on Ormskirk/Southport and get off at Sandhills where the Kirkby would be for us.

777148 arrived, after some trouble getting it away from Sandhills for a few minutes we arrived at Fazakerley and the shoes wouldn't raise so it was terminated there and returned to Kirkdale, leaving all pax stood at Fazakerley waiting for 777150 to arrive.

Something needs to be sorted on these units sooner rather than later!

childwallblues

Established Member
It appears that it is not just Stadlers BEMUs on Merseyrail were there are problems.
The Schleswig-Holstein fleet of 17 Stadler Class 526 BEMU Flirts whice were introduced in October operating out of Kiel and eight were taken out of use in December due to software problems and winter weather. even can't get it right in Germany.

Sam 76

It appears that it is not just Stadlers BEMUs on Merseyrail were there are problems.
The Schleswig-Holstein fleet of 17 Stadler Class 526 BEMU Flirts whice were introduced in October operating out of Kiel and eight were taken out of use in December due to software problems and winter weather. even can't get it right in Germany.
That’s strange. Is it bad if I say that’s hopeful though. If the issues are not unique to the 777s more effort may go in to fixing it

karlbbb

Sad. If this is true, I feel it starts to beg the question of whether Stadler have in-house software developers, or this was outsourced to the cheapest bidder.

The_Train

Established Member
I rode a couple of these yesterday, both only short journeys, and both seemed to have door issues. One seemed to take an age for the driver to open the doors and the other required some intervention from the TM at a station to get a set of doors closed

Ianigsy

I've been on a few now which have one of the end doors out of use, what isn't helping the matter is the train managers don't really announce that the door is out of use, and there are no large signs to suggest that it isn't in operation. The only indicator is that the ring around the button is illuminated red - how many people are realistically going to pay attention to that?
777009 was having similar problems today- train manager was having a busy time going back and forth to the next carriage.