• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

edwin_m

Veteran Member
No, but that is where it gets complicated.
As HS2 (East) now seems to end at East Midlands parkway (from the Birmingham area) is the new station at Toton now scuppered, and would all HS2 trains for the north trundle round via Derby and Ambergate ?
They need to serve Derby, and the higher speeds on that route mean it wouldn't take that much longer than via the Erewash anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nottingham59

Established Member
They need to serve Derby, and the higher speeds on that route mean it wouldn't take that much longer than via the Erewash anyway.
In the days of the Master Cutler, I think it saved 10-15 minutes going via the Erewash Valley

Meerkat

Established Member
They need to serve Derby
Is that set in stone? If Leeds and Sheffield demand faster trains then is Derby any bigger than other places that will be off route once HS2 is in place (ie Coventry, Wolverhampton, Stockport)?

zwk500

Veteran Member
In the days of the Master Cutler, I think it saved 10-15 minutes going via the Erewash Valley
The Derby route has been upgraded more than the Erewash Valley since then!

surely going via derby is now faster for any train? line speed is definitely higher, and with nottingham you'd have to change ends to get onto the erewash valley line

Meerkat

Established Member
surely going via derby is now faster for any train? line speed is definitely higher, and with nottingham you'd have to change ends to get onto the erewash valley line
I assume it would be for direct trains, not calling at Derby nor Nottingham. In which case I would imagine electrification would be linked to an upgrade programme to increase the speed limits.

bib

Quote from this thread said that based on SRTs the Erewash valley route is 3.5mins faster for non-stop running, add in a stop at Derby and its probably 5-6 mins quicker potentially. Though I'm not sure if that was before or after Derby station remodelling.
Although it's a different story if it is a XC service which sits in Derby for about 6 mins and has 7 mins of pathing/performance allowance between Derby-Sheffield, but I don't think XC will be running trains over Trent Junction any time soon.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I assume it would be for direct trains, not calling at Derby nor Nottingham. In which case I would imagine electrification would be linked to an upgrade programme to increase the speed limits.
You'd need one hell of a job to upgrade the Erewash to compete against the Derby route. Chesterfield/Clay Cross Jns, Ironville jns, Trowell Jns, Toton area, Trent, etc...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Is that set in stone? If Leeds and Sheffield demand faster trains then is Derby any bigger than other places that will be off route once HS2 is in place (ie Coventry, Wolverhampton, Stockport)?
The current plans don't include access to Leeds, and it's unlikely that Sheffield would justify London trains without an intermediate stop. There's supposed to be a study into Leeds, and it's possible that would recommend access via the Erewash, though I struggle to see how it would work considering the low speeds versus the ECML and the capacity issues through Sheffield.

Mollman

Established Member
The procurement process for the next phase of the MML electrification programme north of Leicester, beyond Corby, to Nottingham and Sheffield was given the green light at the meeting and the search for a contractor began in January of this year.
Thanks for this, I am guessing 'beyond Corby' is not meaning Corby - Melton - Sytson Jnc has not secretly been added to the scope!

ricoblade

adamedwards

I can't see the Erewash Valley line being wired any time soon. HS2 as planned would have bypassed it. The revised Govt plans for HS2 see it routed via Nottingham and Doncaster to Leeds with some possible new lines, assuming this ever happens. The case for the Erewash Valley would rest on either freight decarbonisation or a major upgrade of the Norwich - Peterborough - Nottingham - Sheffield - Manchester - Liverpool axis. That's a lot of miles to be electrified elsewhere first before the line via Alfreton.

Once the wires reach Sheffield via Derby, the priority is much more likely to be on to Doncaster and Leeds and from Derby to Birmingham, with Cross Country changing to bimode trains to make the most of the Edinburgh to Birmingham wiring so created, plus electric local stopping trains. Nottingham to Birmingham will use HS2 and be very fast indeed.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I can't see the Erewash Valley line being wired any time soon. HS2 as planned would have bypassed it. The revised Govt plans for HS2 see it routed via Nottingham and Doncaster to Leeds with some possible new lines, assuming this ever happens. The case for the Erewash Valley would rest on either freight decarbonisation or a major upgrade of the Norwich - Peterborough - Nottingham - Sheffield - Manchester - Liverpool axis. That's a lot of miles to be electrified elsewhere first before the line via Alfreton.
The case for the Erewash valley may also be made if a service uplift of the Sheffield-Nottingham locals was planned, or to eek out capacity through Dronfield by using EMUs.
Once the wires reach Sheffield via Derby, the priority is much more likely to be on to Doncaster and Leeds and from Derby to Birmingham, with Cross Country changing to bimode trains to make the most of the Edinburgh to Birmingham wiring so created, plus electric local stopping trains. Nottingham to Birmingham will use HS2 and be very fast indeed.
I don't think XC will be the priority. I think metro electrification - South/West Yorks, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol - will all be higher up the list than XC. The whole point of Bi-modes is that you don't need to wire bits that are more marginal. If you're doing Derby to Birmingham you may as well do King's Norton Fasts and Bromsgrove to Yate to convert the XC core to full OLE but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Senex

Established Member
The Derby route has been upgraded more than the Erewash Valley since then!
In terms of the PSRs, isn't the Erewash Valley line still pretty much as it was in the 60s, whereas the Derby - Chesterfield line got a fairly substantial upgrade as part of the Birmingham-Sheffield work for Operation Princess (the one section of the planned upgrading of the cross-country route that did actually get done).

zwk500

Veteran Member
In terms of the PSRs, isn't the Erewash Valley line still pretty much as it was in the 60s, whereas the Derby - Chesterfield line got a fairly substantial upgrade as part of the Birmingham-Sheffield work for Operation Princess (the one section of the planned upgrading of the cross-country route that did actually get done).
Can't comment on what it was, but according to OpenRailwayMap it's 80mph vs the Derby route's 110mph.

CdBrux

Nottingham59

Established Member
As this is behind a paywall is there any indication of what changes were made and how they save money?
The minutes are publicly available here:

Paper 93/22 sought endorsement of the sourcing strategy for the Midland Main Line Electrification (MMLE) Programme. That Programme aimed to change the way electrification was delivered to achieve savings when compared with the CP5 single track kilometre rate.
The procurement process would commence in January 2023, within an overall Anticipated Final Cost range as set out in the paper and having contract values as set out in that paper. In due course the Board would be asked to review, and if thought appropriate, grant the authorities required to award and enter into a contract.
MMLE was the first step in the Traction Decarbonisation National Strategy and would extend electric operation on the Midland Main Line beyond Corby, to Nottingham and Sheffield.
The Board asked about the incentives to prevent the project being over-engineered. This was being done by including a clause in the contract stipulating that profit could only be achieved if the design was within budget.
The Board was advised that funding for enhancement projects (RNEP) would be constrained in CP7. After due consideration the Board APPROVED the request to commence procurement activities for the next phase of MMLE North of Leicester, subject to the Region working closely with the Chief Financial Officer before finalising the scope of works to be included in the procurement, the Anticipated Final Cost range and anticipated contract values. The Board commended Rob McIntosh and his team for a very well written paper.
That's all there is. It does say they need to finalise the scope of works before proceeding with procurement for electrification north of Leicester.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Erewash has several curves which are (by observation of the OS map) around 1000m radius, scattered along the route so that there isn't much chance to accelerate between them (though electrification would help with that). That via Derby has much gentler curves, except for the one just south of Derby itself where all trains would stop anyway. Any substantial upgrade to the Erewash would require realignment outside the railway boundary, some affecting river or canal crossings which are possibly the reason for the curve being there in the first place.

snowball

Established Member
That's all there is. It does say they need to finalise the scope of works before proceeding with procurement for electrification north of Leicester.
and in doing so, confirms that the next section to be done will be north of Leicester, not the one through Leicester.

Mikey C

Established Member
The minutes are publicly available here:

Sorry, but trying to get the time periods right in my head, but the minutes talk about "savings when compared with the CP5 single track kilometre rate." Was any of the recent MML work done within CP5 or was it all CP6?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Sorry, but trying to get the time periods right in my head, but the minutes talk about "savings when compared with the CP5 single track kilometre rate." Was any of the recent MML work done within CP5 or was it all CP6?
CP5 was 2014-19, CP6 is 2019-2024, etc. So IIRC Bedford-Corby Electrification was started in CP5 but ran into CP6.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
CP5 was 2014-19, CP6 is 2019-2024, etc. So IIRC Bedford-Corby Electrification was started in CP5 but ran into CP6.
I will try and find documentation to support but quite a few civils on the route were started in CP5.

I dont have a clickable link sorry, but RAIL August 6th 2014 article detailed quite a bit.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
At the end of CP5, this thread was on page 88. You can go back to there and see where work was up to.

Or you can go back to page 1 and see where things were nine months into CP5.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

In particular the above post from @59CosG95 where he gave an extremely detailed progressometer report. Post 2618

Mikey C

Established Member
Thanks. The work from Kettering to Market Harborough and Wigston I assume would be CP6 then? I would have assumed that any lessons from CP5 would already have been incorporated in the current work?

InTheEastMids

I will try and find documentation to support but quite a few civils on the route were started in CP5
This link to the Leicester Mercury details 3 bridges that were rebuilt North of Leicester

Plus Station Street bridge in Kibworth was rebuilt in 2013 and so is electrification ready