• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

59CosG95

Established Member
To report on "half the foundations" is a bit of a cheat as Market Harborough is about half way between Kettering and Wigston!
Anyway there are still no masts (or Piles) to be seen for around quarter of a mile either side of the Braybrooke supply site and there are still no piles or masts to be seen through Desborough - approx 1/2 mile. The new bridge at Rushton is open, but still missing some capstones on the side walls. There are very few if any piles and masts left in the Rushton works compound.
There are masts and cantilevers up around the Langtons, but still a gap with no piles to the North of Harborough through Great Bowden.
Thanks for the update there Phil - I assume some less disruptive roadworks will be required to finish the parapet copers on the new bridge.
Talking of bridges, I suspect that the bridges around Braybrooke supply point, Desborough and Great Bowden are what's holding the piling back in that specific area.
Main St (Bridge 28D) *should* have its track lowering finished this weekend coming - I've seen on Flickr that trial holes have been dug in the area too.
Bridge 35 *should* be demolished this weekend.
As for Desborough, track lowering through the town (unsure by how much) is taking place in August - I assume the OLE will follow shortly afterwards or maybe before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kneedown

Established Member
Been on leave so first trip over the line for a couple of weeks today, and i'm amazed how much progress has been made since my last update.

Several TTC structures in place on and around the "retaining wall", and A6 bridge at Great Bowden.

STC upright sections of masts in place from Great Bowden pretty much all the way along the straight to East Langton.

Several complete TTCs in place to the North of East Langton, with many piles in place almost as far as Gumley.

A few odd piles here and there in place in the Great Glen to Newton Harcourt area.

PJM

Tried to get a shot from the footbridge directly south of the A6 bridge Langton Road but was put off by the mud and guards! :lol: There are approximately 3 sets off masts, 1 can just be seen through the trees.
IMG_2481 rr.JPG

Masts and cantilevers now run from this point just south of the A6 bridge just north of Great Bowden to the recycling centre south of Kibworth with piles running a bit further north.
IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

Reconstruction of the bridge by the old Great Glen station is underway and Station Road is closed.

Picture below is taken from Wistow Road at Newton Harcourt looking north to the already reconstructed bridge The Square. Anybody know when that was done?
IMG_2485.JPG

and south.
IMG_2486.JPG

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Tried to get a shot from the footbridge directly south of the A6 bridge Langton Road but was put off by the mud and guards! :lol: There are approximately 3 sets off masts, 1 can just be seen through the trees.
View attachment 127916

Masts and cantilevers now run from this point just south of the A6 bridge just north of Great Bowden to the recycling centre south of Kibworth with piles running a bit further north.
View attachment 127917

View attachment 127918

Reconstruction of the bridge by the old Great Glen station is underway and Station Road is closed.

Picture below is taken from Wigston Road at Newton Harcourt looking north to the already reconstructed bridge The Square. Anybody know when that was done?
View attachment 127919

and south.
View attachment 127920
As always, @PJM, lovely shots!

Regarding "The Square" (O/B no. SPC3/8, named "Brunskills Bridge" in Harborough DC documentation), that seemed to have been done in 2013/2014. Station Rd, Kibworth (SPC3/19) was done around the same time.
And to add to your info of masts reaching Kibworth:
1675088082196.png
(extract from the most recent devegetation meeting on Teams - available on NR's MML Upgrade website)

midland1

View attachment 127916

View attachment 127917

View attachment 127918

Picture below is taken from Wigston Road at Newton Harcourt looking north to the already reconstructed bridge The Square. Anybody know when that was done?
View attachment 127919

and south.
View attachment 127920
This picture got me puzzled at first picture should be Wistow Road not Wigston Road.

Kneedown

Established Member
As of this morning, from Great Bowden to bridge No 22 (A6 at Kibworth) I estimate that approx 85% of TTC and STC uprights are in position, with a small gap at East Langton and the odd one missing here and there.
Piles seem to be in place from bridge 22 to just before the summit at Kibworth Harcourt, and there is one isolated pile at Wistow, and three more between Newton Harcourt and Kilby Bridge Junction. There may be other odd ones that I didn't spot.

59CosG95

Established Member
As of this morning, from Great Bowden to bridge No 22 (A6 at Kibworth) I estimate that approx 85% of TTC and STC uprights are in position, with a small gap at East Langton and the odd one missing here and there.
Piles seem to be in place from bridge 22 to just before the summit at Kibworth Harcourt, and there is one isolated pile at Wistow, and three more between Newton Harcourt and Kilby Bridge Junction. There may be other odd ones that I didn't spot.
Excellent news!

Recent view looking east at West Langton (near U/B no. 23): https://flic.kr/p/2ofGmHv
And another recent view looking east at Wistow Rd Bridge (no. 13), Kibworth: https://flic.kr/p/2oePFzy

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Thanks for the update there Phil - I assume some less disruptive roadworks will be required to finish the parapet copers on the new bridge.
Talking of bridges, I suspect that the bridges around Braybrooke supply point, Desborough and Great Bowden are what's holding the piling back in that specific area.
Main St (Bridge 28D) *should* have its track lowering finished this weekend coming - I've seen on Flickr that trial holes have been dug in the area too.
Bridge 35 *should* be demolished this weekend.
As for Desborough, track lowering through the town (unsure by how much) is taking place in August - I assume the OLE will follow shortly afterwards or maybe before.
Updates on the above: Night works are taking place from 6th Feb to 10th Feb closing the roadway over Bridge 42, presumably to finish works.
Bridge 35 still yet to be demolished.
Bridge 28D (Main St) has a 5-hour closure planned (0900 to 1400) on 2nd of June.
The footpath over Bridge 28 (Chaters) is due for closure from 0700 on 4th May to 1700 on 22nd September.
NR are putting temporary traffic lights on West Langton Rd near Warners Farm to facilitate the bridge works there; this runs from 0700 on 15th May to 1700 on 4th August.

Further NW, Welford Rd (A5199, old A50; bridge SPC3-4) is due for a weekend closure (2200 on 16th May to 0600 on 18th May).

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
I was looking on Google Maps to see where some of these locations are, and noticed that there is a new housing development under construction next to the railway in Market Harborough.

It's called Grayling Road

Top trolling

zwk500

Veteran Member
I was looking on Google Maps to see where some of these locations are, and noticed that there is a new housing development under construction next to the railway in Market Harborough.

It's called Grayling Road

Top trolling
a Grayling is also a fish or a butterfly, and there was a Philosopher called Grayling before the politician. It's slightly more subtle than East Grinstead's relief road, built on the alignment of a former railway, which is named Beeching Road. To add insult to injury the additional material excavated for the road was dumped on the formation of the L&EG, so the Bluebell had to pay to move it when they built their extension.

stuu

Established Member
a Grayling is also a fish or a butterfly, and there was a Philosopher called Grayling before the politician. It's slightly more subtle than East Grinstead's relief road, built on the alignment of a former railway, which is named Beeching Road. To add insult to injury the additional material excavated for the road was dumped on the formation of the L&EG, so the Bluebell had to pay to move it when they built their extension.
I know, it's probably not named after him. But I did find the idea amusing

QSK19

My part of this thread must remain a neutral section - not got any spark of genius when it comes to thinking of other jokes.

Ok, I’ll grab my coat and go… :lol:

snowball

Established Member
Unlike his son David Michael Usain Grayling who thought electrification unnecessary.
Sorry if I'm being dim, but I don't think I'm the only one who will need that explained.
The former transport minister who cancelled electrification schemes is Christopher Stephen Grayling.
According to Wikipedia the only children of AC Grayling are Anthony Joslin Clifford Grayling and two daughters.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Sorry if I'm being dim, but I don't think I'm the only one who will need that explained.
The former transport minister who cancelled electrification schemes is Christopher Stephen Grayling.
According to Wikipedia the only children of AC Grayling are Anthony Joslin Clifford Grayling and two daughters.
The Search for David Grayling turns up nothing of any relation to railways, so I suspect that David Michael Usain, or D.M.U. Grayling, may have been a joke.

PJM

As always, @PJM, lovely shots!

Regarding "The Square" (O/B no. SPC3/8, named "Brunskills Bridge" in Harborough DC documentation), that seemed to have been done in 2013/2014. Station Rd, Kibworth (SPC3/19) was done around the same time.
And to add to your info of masts reaching Kibworth:
View attachment 127931
(extract from the most recent devegetation meeting on Teams - available on NR's MML Upgrade website)

Masts and cantilevers are now in place as far as New Road bridge in Kibworth. Very much as is indicated in yellow in the above attachment. So masts now run from just south of the A6 bridge at Langton Road, Great Bowden to New Road, Kibworth.

59CosG95

Established Member
Masts and cantilevers are now in place as far as New Road bridge in Kibworth. Very much as is indicated in yellow in the above attachment. So masts now run from just south of the A6 bridge at Langton Road, Great Bowden to New Road, Kibworth.
Lovely stuff - I wonder how many more are up now.

The next closure of the route between Kettering & Leicester is pencilled in for the 12th of March - I believe that's when the old bridge at Great Glen (SPC3-10) gets demolished. Another closure of the MML between LEI & KET takes place eon the 18th/19th of March.
There's also a closure of Pipewell Rd (SPC3-42) in place for next week (20/2/23 18:00 to 25/2/23 06:00), presumably to finish installing the copers.

Harborough DC have recently published planning application 23/00084/PDN - which relates to the works to footbridge 28E in Great Bowden.
The existing timber deck is to be replaced with a GRP equivalent, and a chevaux-de-frise is to be fitted at the midspan of the bridge to prevent trespass onto the eastern half of the bridge from the western half.
Over the Eastern half, GRP panels (up to 1.65m high) will be put in place as an electrical safety measure.

Personally, this has been thought through very well with the aesthetics very much considered. No details of the track lowering as the Form A design doc for track hasn't been published yet.
This application has been superceded by application 23/00249/PDN, which is basically the same, but now states that the bridge no longer needs to be lifted (which was part of the original application).

A new application has also gone in for bridge SPC3/9 (Wistow Road), numbered 23/00203/PDN: https://pa2.harborough.gov.uk/onlin...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RPPTYMHW06O00

Update 21/02/23: Piling is scheduled to take place in Desborough, from 22:00 on Sat 4th March to 06:00 on Fri 31st March.

Last edited: