• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Mikey C

Established Member
Shortly after the contractors are announced, I'll wager.
Currently, RS1 (Mkt H'boro' to South Wigston) has been tacked on to KO1a of the original chopped programme (Kettering - Mkt H'boro') as it's a relatively easy win (two tracks, no additional grid connections, signalling already compliant etc.)

RS2 through RS8 are still out for competitive tender.
Indeed there's been some agreeable "creep" with the electrification north of Kettering, considering that Kettering was the original announced boundary on the mainline post Grayling.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
By 2x25kV, do you mean using ATF (autotransformer feed) which supplies power to the line through two cables at +25kV and -25kV? With intermediate transformers to transfer power from the separate ATF cable (at -25kV) onto the catenary wires (at +25kV)?

If so, then I understand only parts of the MML use this, but the rest is "ATF-ready" if needed to boost the power at a future date. This post (above) has more details:

[EDIT. By -25kV, I mean 25kV AC which is 180 degree out of phase with the catenary supply]

Well, according to Wikipedia:

"The 2 × 25 kV autotransformer system is a split-phase electric power system which supplies 25 kV power to the trains, but transmits power at 50 kV to reduce energy losses. It should not be confused with the 50 kV system. In this system, the current is mainly carried between the overhead line and a feeder transmission line instead of the rail. The overhead line (3) and feeder (5) are on opposite phases so the voltage between them is 50 kV, while the voltage between the overhead line (3) and the running rails (4) remains at 25 kV. Periodic autotransformers (9) divert the return current from the neutral rail, step it up, and send it along the feeder line"

So possibly yes, ATF is another way of saying 2x25 kv?

59CosG95

Established Member
Well, according to Wikipedia:

"The 2 × 25 kV autotransformer system is a split-phase electric power system which supplies 25 kV power to the trains, but transmits power at 50 kV to reduce energy losses. It should not be confused with the 50 kV system. In this system, the current is mainly carried between the overhead line and a feeder transmission line instead of the rail. The overhead line (3) and feeder (5) are on opposite phases so the voltage between them is 50 kV, while the voltage between the overhead line (3) and the running rails (4) remains at 25 kV. Periodic autotransformers (9) divert the return current from the neutral rail, step it up, and send it along the feeder line"

So possibly yes, ATF is another way of saying 2x25 kv?
Yes - ATF & 2x25kV are one and the same in the UK.

Elecman

Established Member
Yes - ATF & 2x25kV are one and the same in the UK.
Not quite they are a two 25kV supplies that are 180 degrees in phase angle difference apart ( so as previously crudel6nout +25/-25kV so a potential 50kV between the 2 legs

zwk500

Veteran Member
Indeed there's been some agreeable "creep" with the electrification north of Kettering, considering that Kettering was the original announced boundary on the mainline post Grayling.
Not so much creep as a restarting of the total MML programme. It was just that it was ready to go and there were people available to do it that got it tacked onto the end of the Corby electrification. It is, after all, Stage 1 of this particular attempt to bring electricity to Derby.

londonmidland

Established Member
Is Leicester to Syston the ‘next stage’ of electrification? If so, are there any timescales as to when this may happen?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is Leicester to Syston the ‘next stage’ of electrification? If so, are there any timescales as to when this may happen?
Yes it's the next stage. I believe the contracts are currently out for tender. Not sure how long until the winners are announced.

NR's project page is here: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...utes/east-midlands/midland-main-line-upgrade/
Route Sections are listed here: https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/...-main-line-electrification-scheme-24-05-2022/
The next stage of procurement for the MML electrification programme is split into the following route sections:
  • Route Section 2 (RS2) – South Wigston to Syston, 19.5km
  • Route Section 3 (RS3) – Syston to Trent Junction, 28.7km
  • Route Section 4 (RS4) – Sheet Stores Junction to Chaddesden Sidings (Derby), 15.7km
  • Route Section 5 (RS5) – Trent Junction to Nottingham, 13.1km
  • Route Section 6 (RS6) – Chaddesden Sidings (Derby) to Toadmoor Tunnel, 16.7km
  • Route Section 7 (RS7) – Toadmoor Tunnel to London Road, 43.3km
  • Route Section 8 (RS8) – London Road to Sheffield North, 2.5km

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Yes it's the next stage. I believe the contracts are currently out for tender. Not sure how long until the winners are announced.

Depends what you mean by ‘next stage’.

Numerically, Wigston - Syston is next. However AIUI that won’t be the next stage to be constructed.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Depends what you mean by ‘next stage’.

Numerically, Wigston - Syston is next. However AIUI that won’t be the next stage to be constructed.
I saw a comment that RS3 Syston - Trent may be prioritised, is that what you're alluding to?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is there funding for said solution?

Im not sure of the status on construction funding is for any of it bar what is underway now. But I do know that all capital funding is under pressure (as the rail minister confirmed today); it is inconceivable that the MML work hasn’t been looked at as a result.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Im not sure of the status on construction funding is for any of it bar what is underway now. But I do know that all capital funding is under pressure (as the rail minister confirmed today); it is inconceivable that the MML work hasn’t been looked at as a result.
This is the fear - the MML in particular feels like a boy crying wolf every time anybody talks about wires. Given the first round of OLE got 50 miles out of London, the next round only 30 miles further to Corby, then 20 miles to Syston. At this rate the last section into Sheffield will be being authorised Inch by Inch!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
with the 810 bimodes makes sense to maximise route mileage for least amount of expenditure hence leapfrogging leicester for the time being.

59CosG95

Established Member
Harborough DC have recently published planning application 23/00084/PDN - which relates to the works to footbridge 28E in Great Bowden.
The existing timber deck is to be replaced with a GRP equivalent, and a chevaux-de-frise is to be fitted at the midspan of the bridge to prevent trespass onto the eastern half of the bridge from the western half.
Over the Eastern half, GRP panels (up to 1.65m high) will be put in place as an electrical safety measure.

Personally, this has been thought through very well with the aesthetics very much considered. No details of the track lowering as the Form A design doc for track hasn't been published yet.

InOban

Established Member
What on earth is a chevaux chevaux-de-frise in a modern context? I can only find medieval military descriptions! I assume that people will be allowed to cross the bridge, it's just an obstruction to cycles and horses?

Scott1

What on earth is a chevaux chevaux-de-frise in a modern context? I can only find medieval military descriptions! I assume that people will be allowed to cross the bridge, it's just an obstruction to cycles and horses?
Its a type of spike, like below, some have a bar through them so they spin if you try to climb them. There a common anti-trespass device, but the search results about the military I'd imagine are correct, they look like they'd have their origins on the battlefield!

Attachments

• fence.jpg
    fence.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 41

zwk500

Veteran Member
I think the description may badly put on the planning document. The Chevaux de frise is to stop people climbing up on the trusses or trying to jump from the bridge. It's only needed on one half of the bridge because the bridge is wider than it needs to be for 2 tracks.

snowball

Established Member
I think in this case it's a set of straight spikes pointing outwards, upwards and downwards, at right angles to the span of the bridge, so that a person trying to clamber along the outside of the bridge structure can't get over the tracks.

You see them sometimes where a pipe goes over a road, for example, but I hadn't seen the name until now.

A bit like a person wearing a Tudor ruff round their neck (while lying down).

Snow1964

Established Member
Being reported that this coming weekend 28-29 January will see halfway point on mast foundations of Kettering-Wigston scheme at 640 foundations
Network Rail says that this weekend engineers will have installed half of the foundations needed for an electrified railway between Kettering and Wigston as part of the Midland Main Line upgrade.

The foundations will support masts that will eventually carry the electric wires needed to power cleaner, greener, electric and hybrid trains through this area in the future. By the end of weekend (28 and 29 January), Network Rail will have installed around 640 foundations through a process called piling, to reach the halfway point.

Gavin Crook, Principal Programme Sponsor for Network Rail said: “Installing half of our foundations is a significant milestone which takes us one step closer to delivering a cleaner, greener railway for both passengers and our lineside neighbours

snowball

Established Member
The above is no doubt based on this press release:

Major milestone in preparing the Midland Main Line for electrification

This weekend, engineers will have installed half of the foundations needed for an electrified railway between Kettering and Wigston as part of the Midland Main Line upgrade.

The foundations will support masts that will eventually carry the electric wires needed to power cleaner, greener, electric and hybrid trains through this area in the future. By the end of weekend (28 and 29 January), Network Rail will have installed around 640 foundations through a process called piling, to reach the halfway point.

At the same time between Kibworth and Market Harborough, teams will continue to clear way for the multi-million-pound electrification scheme by cutting back overhanging lineside vegetation.

To allow this work to take place safely, no trains will call at Market Harborough station on Sunday 29 January. Services to and from London will be diverted via Melton Mowbray and Corby, and EMR Connect services will only run between London and Wellingborough.

Buses will replace trains between Market Harborough and Kettering / Leicester to keep passengers moving.

Those planning to travel should check before they travel via National Rail or their train operator’s website and allow plenty of time to complete their journey.

Gavin Crook, Principal Programme Sponsor for Network Rail said: “Installing half of our foundations is a significant milestone which takes us one step closer to delivering a cleaner, greener railway for both passengers and our lineside neighbours.

“We’re packing in as much work as we can over the weekend and there will be some changes to services through Market Harborough. Please plan ahead, check your journey before setting off and allow extra time.”

Neil Grabham, Customer Services Director for EMR said: “We are asking any customers planning to travel to or from London on Sunday 29 January to plan ahead and allow plenty of time to complete their journey.

“Our trains will be unable to call at Market Harborough station on Sunday 29 January and our Intercity services to and from London will be diverted via Melton Mowbray and Corby. Our EMR Connect services will only run between London and Wellingborough.

“Rail Replacement buses will keep passengers moving between Market Harborough and Kettering / Leicester.

“We would like to thank our customers for their patience whilst the engineering work along the Midland Main Line is taking place.”

Flying Phil

Established Member
To report on "half the foundations" is a bit of a cheat as Market Harborough is about half way between Kettering and Wigston!
Anyway there are still no masts (or Piles) to be seen for around quarter of a mile either side of the Braybrooke supply site and there are still no piles or masts to be seen through Desborough - approx 1/2 mile. The new bridge at Rushton is open, but still missing some capstones on the side walls. There are very few if any piles and masts left in the Rushton works compound.
There are masts and cantilevers up around the Langtons, but still a gap with no piles to the North of Harborough through Great Bowden.