• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

59CosG95

Established Member
Update 26/2/23:
The copers on the parapets at bridge SPC3-42 (Pipewell Rd, Rushton) are finished. There does still seem to be a bit of finishing work to do in the surrounding areas though.
20230226_090126.jpg20230226_090127.jpg

The UM Earth Wire has also been run from the previous overlap at the eastern end of Rushton (by underbridge SPC3-45, Station Rd), and the AT Feeders between footbridge SPC3-43 & bridge 42 have been run (although not yet fully clamped in).
20230226_090237.jpg20230226_090242.jpg20230226_090303.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PJM

Thanks for the update 59CosG95, the finished coping stones are very recent as they were not in place a week ago.

Passing Kibworth today some shots of the bridge at New Road, Kibworth where the most northerly masts and cantilevers are.
IMG_2553 (2).JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

and by the Kibworth Business Park, between the A6 and the railway.
IMG_2555.JPGIMG_2556.JPG

QSK19

Correct. As they seem to have momentum I pray and hope that Wigston to Syston is announced very shortly.
Seem to have read somewhere else on RF (though not completely sure!) that RS3 (Syston to Trent Junction) is the next stage to be done, whereas RS2 (Wigston to Syston) is going to be left a little longer due to the particularities of Leicester station?

Will that section be next, or will they skip Leicester and continue north of Syston first?
Beat me to it by 5 seconds :lol:

Mikey C

Established Member
Seem to have read somewhere else on RF (though not completely sure!) that RS3 (Syston to Trent Junction) is the next stage to be done, whereas RS2 (Wigston to Syston) is going to be left a little longer due to the particularities of Leicester station?

Beat me to it by 5 seconds :lol:
One of the advantages of Bimodes is that you can electrify a railway in any order!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Will that section be next, or will they skip Leicester and continue north of Syston first?

You are correct. The Roger Ford (I think) article states that RS3 (Route Section 3) i.e. Syston Jct - Trent Jct could well be done first. The article stated it gave more diversionary capabilities.

Howver, that and makes sense to me for different reasons. The Grid Feeder at Kegworth is in that section and so could go live independently.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There is no sign of any activity on the Kegworth Feeder site, as far as I am aware. I'll have a closer look next time I'm passing
These are very long lead time items, and I believe most of that lead time is waiting in a queue with National Grid before anything actually happens on the ground. It's possible that HS2 work has given them a head start on the design at Kegworth, though I don't think it has got as far as ordering anything.

The other advantage if you have bi-modes is that you don't need the usual diverse feeding arrangements. If the feed goes down everyone just carries on under diesel.

DDB

Are the upgrades to the existing overhead system south of Bedford to allow full speed electric running done yet or do we know when they are scheduled to be done?

Nottingham59

Established Member
It's possible that HS2 work has given them a head start on the design at Kegworth, though I don't think it has got as far as ordering anything.
I understood it was on order ....
At the very least, they should now be able to start work to design and build the OHLE feeder at Ratcliffe-on-Soar, which I understand is often the longest lead time item on all these projects. It will be needed to power both HS2 and the MML.

AIUI, it’s already underway.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are the upgrades to the existing overhead system south of Bedford to allow full speed electric running done yet or do we know when they are scheduled to be done?

Underway, but it’s a longish programme.

Nottingham59

Established Member

The procurement process for the next phase of the MML electrification programme north of Leicester, beyond Corby, to Nottingham and Sheffield was given the green light at the meeting and the search for a contractor began in January of this year.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is it incremental, or will speed limit changes wait until it is all done?

I don’t know. If it was up to me, it would be north of Luton only, as the benefit south of Luton is minimal (and unlikely to be usable).

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Does anyone know if Trent Jn - Chesterfield via Erewash valley is being wired, or is it only the route via Derby to the north ?

TIA

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Not as part of the MML programme, no.
No, but that is where it gets complicated.
As HS2 (East) now seems to end at East Midlands parkway (from the Birmingham area) is the new station at Toton now scuppered, and would all HS2 trains for the north trundle round via Derby and Ambergate ?

Roast Veg

Established Member
No, but that is where it gets complicated.
As HS2 (East) now seems to end at East Midlands parkway (from the Birmingham area) is the new station at Toton now scuppered, and would all HS2 trains for the north trundle round via Derby and Ambergate ?
The IRP proposed no trains north of Nottingham on the Eastern Leg.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The IRP proposed no trains north of Nottingham on the Eastern Leg.

That’s not correct. It clearly states that trains from HS2 would go to Derby and Sheffield Via the MML. Map on page 75, description on page 76.

And yes, Toton Station is not part of the plan.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I don’t want to take thread into speculation but once Sheffield is wired and there is a grid feeder in the Chesterfield area and Nottingham is wired, I am confident there will be some infill work later on.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I don’t want to take thread into speculation but once Sheffield is wired and there is a grid feeder in the Chesterfield area and Nottingham is wired, I am confident there will be some infill work later on.

I guess it’s possible, but given the traffic that goes over it, battery trains will be more than sufficient.

59CosG95

Established Member
I am sure @59CosG95 will be along shortly to give the correct answer.
Normally our Graham would give you a quick reminder but am struggling at the moment.
I haven't seen any designs as of yet, but am fairly confident that works are underway behind the scenes.
There are also the plans at Wixams to take into consideration, which will (hopefully) remove a good number of headspans in that area.

Additionally, early works have commenced in the last week for a BWA & Overlap Upgrade on the southern (Mk3B) section of the MML, which consists of the following:
  1. Relocating insulation in out-of-running wire runs to the "sleeper end", thereby reducing the live envelope over the cess;
  2. Removal or replacement of redundant overlap insulation (e.g. at overlaps where booster transformers used to be; all boosters from Borehamwood to Bedford have now GONE); and
  3. Replacement of the legacy Mk3-era Balance Weight assemblies with Siemens Anti-Fall Balance Weights (as used in the WCRM).
LinkedIn post for that here: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/greg...5K?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop