• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

59CosG95

Established Member
Interesting that the OLE125 programme appears to be driven by two different needs - regrading / re-registration (primarily for the 125mph 2x810 pans) and retensioning (for the 110mph 3x360 pans).

Out of curiosity, what particular workstreams do the terms "SoBEER" and "MML3" refer to? And what is the former short for?
"SoBEER" - or "SoBER" as I've heard it referred to on a few occasions, is "South of Bedford (Electrification) Enhancements and Renewals", which probably includes the OLE125 scope. It also includes the "OLE³/OLE Cubed" scope of replacing failing structures.
"MML3" is the Phase 3 work of electrifying the MML; if the Bed-Pan work was Phase 1, and the recent works to Kettering/Corby/Mkt H'boro' & South Wigston comprises Phase 2, the work from South Wigston northwards would be Phase 3.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
There are still no masts up for the half mile North of the Braybrooke Supply site. I'm not sure if the piles are in place yet.

Established Member
"SoBEER" - or "SoBER" as I've heard it referred to on a few occasions, is "South of Bedford (Electrification)

Not a reference to the D ‘n’ A policy, then!? Certainly not the first one, anyway :lol:.

59CosG95

Established Member
Looks as if all but 1 or 2 of the foundations are now complete in the Desborough area. They've opted for concrete foundations on the DM side between the Co-Op & bridge SPC3-39 (B576 Harborough Rd). I counted 4 on the DM side in total that were curing, and 1 more by bridge 39 that's still a Work In Progress.IMG_9977.jpg
This is the WIP one - based on the chalk on the DM cess side rail, I think this will be SPC3/125.918/DM (+UM on the other side). I don't know for certain if this will be an SSA-style mast combining a cantilever with an ATF anchor, but I'd say that's likely. If it does, I think both the DM & UM ATFs will be anchored together, as that is the situation on the Derby side of the bridge.

IMG_9980.jpg
These are the four "curing" foundations in place on the DM side. One north of the Co-Op car park, beside the Old Station House, one by the access steps from Gladstone Street, and two north of there - this last pair will be for the RHS MPA Portal mentioned further upthread.

Additionally, some more info on road closures for bridge works has popped up on one.network.
SPC3-7 (Wigston Rd, Newton H): 31/07/23 to 16/02/24.
Footpath "C34" linking SPC3-8 (The Square) & SPC3-9 (Wistow Rd) (both Newton H): 30/05/23 to 22/12/23.
SPC3-9 (Wistow Rd, Newton H): 30/05/23 to 22/12/23.
SPC3-10 (Glen Station Rd): 13/01/23 to 26/05/23. A month until reopening!
Footpath "B1" over SPC3-18 (Grammar School Bridge, Kibworth): 05/06/23 to 08/12/23.
Roadworks (not closure) on W Langton Rd for access to SPC3-24 & SPC3-25: 15/05/23 to 04/08/23.
Footpath "A47" over SPC3-28 (Chaters Bridge, Gt Bowden): 04/05/23 to 22/09/23.
Footpath "A49" over SPC3-28E (Gt Bowden Footbridge): 10/07/23 to 10/09/23.

Also of note are next month's engineering dates on EMR.
08/05 to 12/05: work taking place between Wellingborough & Kettering, adding time to late night/early morning journeys. Maybe something to do with Harrowden TSC?
15/05 to 19/05: work taking place between Harpenden & Bedford, causing 2335 STP-NOT & 2354 STP-COR to run Slows only. Can't help but wonder if that's to do with East Hyde or any of the other substations installed south of Bedford...
21/05: Another total line block via Market Harborough. Not sure what for...
23/05 to 26/05: 0432 COR-STP unable to stop at Bedford due to engineering works. Not sure why...

Last edited:

38Cto15E

Yesterday I was speaking to a Network Rail man and he told me that NR were looking at finding sites for OHLE compounds North of Leicester, such as the one at Humble lane, Cossington. Syston yard seems a good bet, maybe there is room at Sileby or Barrow on Soar.
Also this bridge at Cossington will be having the track lowered for the OHLE.

PJM

Yesterday I was speaking to a Network Rail man and he told me that NR were looking at finding sites for OHLE compounds North of Leicester, such as the one at Humble lane, Cossington. Syston yard seems a good bet, maybe there is room at Sileby or Barrow on Soar.
Also this bridge at Cossington will be having the track lowered for the OHLE.
Does this mean that Leicester will be left for later?

zwk500

Veteran Member
This has been the plan for a long while. The section between Syston jns and Wigston Jns is proposed to be remodelled with extra track and potentially some grade separation, as well as potential difficulties with the overbridge at the south end of Leicester station. As Bi-modes are being introduced regardless, it makes sense to progress the section north of Leicester while final decisions regarding the 4-tracking and remodelling are made. The section north of Leicester was always going to need it's own feeder station, so while it's less efficient to have a completely separated area of OLE it's not the end of the world.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
This has been the plan for a long while. The section between Syston jns and Wigston Jns is proposed to be remodelled with extra track and potentially some grade separation, as well as potential difficulties with the overbridge at the south end of Leicester station. As Bi-modes are being introduced regardless, it makes sense to progress the section north of Leicester while final decisions regarding the 4-tracking and remodelling are made. The section north of Leicester was always going to need it's own feeder station, so while it's less efficient to have a completely separated area of OLE it's not the end of the world.
I will try and find the Modern Railways article that discusses it. Basically RS3 (route section) is being done before RS2.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
I thought grade separation was unlikely since the publication of this report in 2020. Furthermore ministers have responded to pressure to publish the long-overdue enhancements pipeline by saying it will be pruned first and then published.

So I think any decision for grade separation near Leicester would be tantamount to postponing electrification of the area for 10 years.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I thought grade separation was unlikely since the publication of this report in 2020. Furthermore ministers have responded to pressure to publish the long-overdue enhancements pipeline by saying it will be pruned first and then published.

So I think any decision for grade separation near Leicester would be tantamount to postponing electrification of the area for 10 years.
Yes, my understanding was that Grade-separation was regarded as being 'nice to have' but not really justified if traffic could be kept largely separated into Leicester station from both sides.

Nottingham59

Established Member
I thought grade separation was unlikely since the publication of this report in 2020.
Especially if you believe the IRP. Current policy says long-distance MML passenger traffic will go via HS2, leading to less conflict at Leicester.

What I think they might do is extend (or at least plan to extend) some of the sidings between Leicester and Wigston, before electrification. They only need about 1500m of new line (between Knighton Viaduct and Welford Road Cemetery) to create three continuous tracks along that whole section.

PJM

Just read the report - or some of it, `Alles klar` as they say, that is a lot of work. So how far north does RS3 go?

Just read the report - or some of it, `Alles klar` as they say, that is a lot of work. So how far north does RS3 go?
Just answered my own question Syston to Trent Junction.

Edvid

Established Member
Just had a thought - for new installations where the linespeed exceeds 100mph, overlap neutral sections (like those on the GWML, e.g. in Maidenhead) are required, right? The down main past Braybrooke has a HST110 differential so I presume one will be installed there in due course.

By that same logic, the recent installation at East Hyde is inline by virtue of the EMU100 differential (standard PSR there is 105). Imagine the additional work required if OLE125 happened there first!

----------

Whilst perusing Flickr I came across this - here's how St Albans looked when the MSE project (Phase 1, effectively) was underway, back in 1979.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just had a thought - for new installations where the linespeed exceeds 100mph, overlap neutral sections (like those on the GWML, e.g. in Maidenhead) are required, right? The down main past Braybrooke has a HST110 differential so I presume one will be installed there in due course.
Yes that seems correct, I found a reference to it in Garry Keenor’s online book on OHLE, he defines it the other way round, ie “inline” neutral sections are no longer permitted above 100 mph, (160km/h).

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Yes that seems correct, I found a reference to it in Garry Keenor’s online book on OHLE, he defines it the other way round, ie “inline” neutral sections are no longer permitted above 100 mph, (160km/h).
AFAIK Braybrooke will indeed be an overlap-style (or Carrier Wire) Neutral Section.
I can't remember if Sharnbrook is over/under 100mph as well.

Edvid

Established Member
Sharnbrook OHNS (inline) is 110/HST115 on the fasts, interestingly. I'm not au fait with regulatory procedure but that looks like something you'd need a derogation for, depending on when the 100mph inline limit was introduced and L2C authorised.

If so, if I can why they'd get one - the patch where all four tracks are level is a junction, so it had to be positioned where the track pairings are staggered. That, and an overlap NS would be overkill for the 50mph slows.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
Does that not mean it will need two feeder stations to cover risk of failure due to being unable to feed from the south due to the missing bit (or gap) at Leicester?

snowball

Established Member
Does that not mean it will need two feeder stations to cover risk of failure due to being unable to feed from the south due to the missing bit (or gap) at Leicester?
Why bother, when the trains will be bi-modes?

Anyway, if the Leicester gap still exists if/when the wires reach Chesterfield, there will be two feeder stations north of the gap without altering existing plans.

How often do feeder stations go down anyway? The Scots seem content to have isolated feeder stations in the near future at Tweedbank and Thornton, with several routes dependent on the latter.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
If that possibility is felt to be large enough, and could not be covered by the HS2 feeder station which is also proposed for the area, then you could either have redundancy in the single feeder station (the entire site going down at once would be extremely unlikely) or a rather long extension chord through to Wigston south

snowball

Established Member
If that possibility is felt to be large enough, and could not be covered by the HS2 feeder station which is also proposed for the area, then you could either have redundancy in the single feeder station (the entire site going down at once would be extremely unlikely) or a rather long extension chord through to Wigston south
Given that the East Midlands arm of HS2 is likely to be many years away (not yet even a draft bill) I would expect that the Leicester area will be wired before the HS2 feeder station is built.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If you look at the previous discussions and drawings of Braybrooke, it is a single feeder station but it has two grid supplies. AIUI that provides redundancy, the two supplies will normally feed independently in either direction, but the NR switchgear compound will allow one grid supply to feed in both directions.

Class 170101

Established Member
How often do feeder stations go down anyway? The Scots seem content to have isolated feeder stations in the near future at Tweedbank and Thornton, with several routes dependent on the latter.
This is what I was thinking of - I don't know how often the feeder stations completely fail but I know it does have consequences on the occasions it does happen.

If you look at the previous discussions and drawings of Braybrooke, it is a single feeder station but it has two grid supplies. AIUI that provides redundancy, the two supplies will normally feed independently in either direction, but the NR switchgear compound will allow one grid supply to feed in both directions.
But Braybrooke area has the added advantage of being able to be fed from further south unlike the current setup north of Leicester unless an extension lead of some sort is added in the interim.

zwk500

Veteran Member
This is what I was thinking of - I don't know how often the feeder stations completely fail but I know it does have consequences on the occasions it does happen.

But Braybrooke area has the added advantage of being able to be fed from further south unlike the current setup north of Leicester unless an extension lead of some sort is added in the interim.
But the point is that each Feeder station will essentially be Two Feeder stations back-to-back on the same site, so that if one goes down the other can cover.

snowball

Established Member
Yes but I think his original point was that even when feeding northwards it can't feed through a ten-mile unelectrified Wigston-Syston gap to places north of Syston, so some backup might be required against the possibility of Kegworth going down while the gap remains. My reply to that is in #6262.

Elecman

Established Member
Yes but I think his original point was that even when feeding northwards it can't feed through a ten-mile unelectrified Wigston-Syston gap to places north of Syston, so some backup might be required against the possibility of Kegworth going down while the gap remains. My reply to that is in #6262.
Potentially another long extension lead