• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More Delay for HS2, and how should we proceed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Why not consider using 200m trains throughout? Provides significantly less extra capacity, but allows shorter platforms at ooc could use existing platforms at Euston or maybe other existing London stations and much reduced costs.
That won't save very much, because you will still need to rebuild all the stations to get the trains in.
The real solution is to fix project management and also dump the insane plans that have trains staying in Euston for 55 minutes on turnaround.

Some trains will spend as long turning around as they spend rolling!

Do we really need to increase capacity as much as the full HS2 would provide? Or could we reduce existing commuter services on southern wcml to create freight capacity.
Where will the subsidies for that come from?
Freight trains are some of the most heavily subsidised services on the network, they pay essentially nothing in track access fees. They are even worse than commuter trains in tht aregard.

Cutting passenger trains and increasing freight will further worsen the black hole in the railway finances.

Also, there's the fact of the £100 million in extra design fees for Euston (about 5% of the cost overruns at Euston) which were generated by extra design works at the request of the government.
5% of the overrun that they will current admit to at Euston.
That's not the same thing given the station hasn't really started being built yet!

The problem is not so much that the station has overrun, it is that the overrun has grown so large, so fast.
That paints a picture which leans towards a runaway cost increase and undermines belief in the viability of the existing design.

There is little reason to believe that the last set of cost estimates is accurate.

Whist I don't doubt that the project has been badly project managed, that goes for the government as well as those who are designing and building it.
Yes, management of this project has been substandard since it was first proposed in 2009.
Across multiple governments.

Of course it's easy to (as an example) highlight that Euston is now double the cost expected, however that's only one element (and a very complex one) so whilst it may have gone up a lot, how is the wider project doing?

Looking at the last report it would appear that the doubling of Euston is against a backdrop of where the wider project has spend £1.8bn over budget. Combined that would set it at £4bn of the circa £5.5bn contingency. Whilst not ideal, not into the realms of exceeding the contingency yet.

That would be circa 75% of the contingency on about 50% budget spent so far. However that's arguably not a fair comparison as little of the overspend has actually been spent on the Euston site (unless it has and I'm double counting the £1.8bn contingency spent so far with some of the £2.2bn contingency required for Euston).
Well it is likely that very little contingency has actually been spent at the Euston site, since the station is nowhere near close to completion
All that happened is the projected price has exploded.

I'm not sure exactly how the accounting works, but projected overspend and actual overspend are two different things.
They then make matters worse by trying to make it cheaper, but in doing so adding more costs to the project (which may well reduce the overall costs, but means that the amount saved is reduced).
Do we know they make matters worse?
The projected Euston price is now greater than the previous projected price, but to make that judgement would require us to assume the previous projected price was even slightly accurate.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fazaar1889

Interesting front page of tomorrow's Times. Also goes on to say that there are real splits in govt and the cabinet, with Michael Gove named as pushing hard for it to be built in full
At this point in time, I genuinely don't have a clue what the tories want to do. Literally sounds like a bunch of children

Tezza1978

At this point in time, I genuinely don't have a clue what the tories want to do. Literally sounds like a bunch of children
I'm not going to disagree with that !

All over the place. I've made no secret of my support for this project despite its problems - many of which are either government cockups, redesigns, or catering to NIMBYs. The Sunak/Hunt "plan" to turn it into a OOC-Birmingham shuttle is absolutely laughable and only one step better than the Reform Party/UKIP "plan" to demolish all the structures that have been built so far to leave it as a ruin - until they are ready to build a giant motorway in its place presumably.......

MarkLong

In times, they said: 'Downing Street is preparing to scrap the second leg of HS2, which will link Birmingham and Manchester, amid concerns that the costs of the project are “out of control”. So is the northern leg definitely get cancelled, or they still in discussion? Sorry for my first language is not English.

snowball

Established Member
In times, they said: 'Downing Street is preparing to scrap the second leg of HS2, which will link Birmingham and Manchester, amid concerns that the costs of the project are “out of control”. So is the northern leg definitely get cancelled, or they still in discussion? Sorry for my first language is not English.
Nothing has been announced yet. So far it is only rumours of what some people are claiming the government is going to announce. So officially everything is still going ahead.

The rumours in the last week are notable for not distinguishing between phases 2a and 2b. Obviously written by political journalists, not transport correspondents.

MarkLong

Nothing has been announced yet. So far it is only rumours of what some people are claiming the government is going to announce. So officially everything is still going ahead.

The rumours in the last week are notable for not distinguishing between phases 2a and 2b. Obviously written by political journalists, not transport correspondents.
Yes, it is strange all rumours did not mentioning phrase2a, instead they have said B'ham to Manchester, to me Phrase 2a B'ham to Crewe is a no-brainer for go-ahead.

Floul1

I fear you may end up disappointed if you think they aren't distingushing between 2a and 2b because they're incompetent, this is clearly a government brief that they're going to cancel everything north of Birmingham. The fact this is now reported in one of the major Tory papers pretty much confirms that this will be policy by Monday morning.

The Ham

Established Member
That won't save very much, because you will still need to rebuild all the stations to get the trains in.
The real solution is to fix project management and also dump the insane plans that have trains staying in Euston for 55 minutes on turnaround.

Indeed, there should be no need to spend so long turning around, 25 minutes should be more than doable.

Freight trains are some of the most heavily subsidised services on the network, they pay essentially nothing in track access fees. They are even worse than commuter trains in tht aregard.

The whole point is that the long passenger trains need the least subsidy, as you can get 600+ passengers to one driver. If we assume a £120,000 a year per driver running trains in service (including pay, pension, training, and pretty much any other cost you could apply to the driver) then if they work 100 days a year and run one return service a day of 600 seats (so all these numbers are setting the value per seat very high) the cost per seat for that driver is £2. Even on a service which is 40% loaded that's £5.

Run the maths at 1,100 seats and it falls to £2.73 for a 40% loaded service. However change that to a 120 seat train and the cost rises to £25 per seat for a 40% loaded service - even if you could ensure 100% loading it's still £10 per seat.

That's why Northern with loads of short trains requires a shed load of subsidy, whilst SWR didn't used to.

It's one of the reasons for the need for NPR (and arguably the Northern elements of HS2 - especially the extra platform capacity) is so critical, as if you could lengthen a lot of extra services by freeing up long distance (including TPE and XC) from the existing platforms you create a LOT of spare capacity for longer local services.

That's not the same thing given the station hasn't really started being built yet!

The problem is not so much that the station has overrun, it is that the overrun has grown so large, so fast.
That paints a picture which leans towards a runaway cost increase and undermines belief in the viability of the existing design.

There is little reason to believe that the last set of cost estimates is accurate.

The problem is we also don't know if they aren't accurate.

Is this a repeat of Crossrail, where things kept getting hidden, or are these extra costs the industry learning from that and so displaying the increased costs much earlier (which also may include substantial contingency values).

Yes, management of this project has been substandard since it was first proposed in 2009.

Well it is likely that very little contingency has actually been spent at the Euston site, since the station is nowhere near close to completion

I'm not sure exactly how the accounting works, but projected overspend and actual overspend are two different things.

Indeed, however the point I was making was they are still within the contingency value, even though the costs for one element has doubled.

If I was extending a house and the cost of the kitchen doubled from £15,000 to £30,000 (as I'd ripped the old kitchen or and realised that there was extra work I needed to do, like relay the floor, replaster the walls, etc.) and if I'd allowed £40,000 for extra costs, with £10,000 of that budgeted overspend already been needed (in part as the cost of materials had gone up faster than inflation) then I wouldn't be overly concerned. The kitchen was always going to be the areas where things were likely to go over. Yes the kitchen could get more costly - as the installation hasn't started - but a lot more of the unknown is now known.

The projected Euston price is now greater than the previous projected price, but to make that judgement would require us to assume the previous projected price was even slightly accurate.

We don't need to know if the previous estimate was accurate or not. All we need to know is how likely it is that the new estimate will increase.

For example I could have been widely optimistic (delusional even) on the first estimate and said that it was going to cost £1,000 for my kitchen project. If however the update has allowed for a much better cost estimate as well as a reasonably high spec set of appliances and some contingency as well, then that £30,000 value may well be able to be deliver the project for that amount without the costs rising further or only needing to hold off on the purchase of the coffee machine until later in the project when my pay allows me to cover those costs without needing more mortgage.

As such it's a car of, have we learnt from Crossrail and these are reasonably accurate cost estimates and the project is unlikely to go over by much more than had now been allowed for, or are we in Crossrail territory and there's going to be another £20bn of costs to be added?

As I indicated before, HS2 was always going to find it hard to justify one element seeing significant overspend (even if overall the value wasn't too bad), due to the vocal opposition that it's faced.

The fact that even with a near doubling of Euston and we're at peak construction along the line and we've got this far with still 25% of the budgeted overspend in place, could still mean that the project is completed without costs getting too far out of control (as they extra for Euston could not increase further, or even any extra increase could be limited).

If you read the headlines, you could easily get the impression that we're at a point where HS2 has already gone significantly over budget. Which unless there's something other than "this is a repeat of Crossrail" when we don't know if it is or not, then how "out of control" is spending?

What I've manned to find, not all that bad (in that we're within the budget still), even if phase 1 goes over by £4bn (or about 10% of the budget) it wouldn't be ideal, however it also wouldn't be "out of control". It would also be within the realms of extra passenger numbers could still justify the extra cost (especially if those extra passengers were to start using the service fairly early).

For example HS2 was based on 170 (2030) passengers for every 100 (2009) passengers. If we see that actually be 200 in 2032 (assuming that's the opening date; which would require passenger numbers to be 17.5% higher than 2019) and it rise at 3% per year to 238 in 2038 (the year rail growth should have only reached 200) then a 10% overspend would be a thing of the past and given the success of the passenger numbers of little concern.

Whilst 3% per year is higher than the growth model, it's also not an unachievable rate of growth for a railway which would deliver a lot of extra long distance rail capacity.

I'm not asking should we be optimistic about if there's future costs which we don't know about. I'm asking do we know if these costs are a reasonable figure which is unlikely to change in the future. As if it's reasonable and there's a high probability that is the final cost, then the scheme isn't "out of control". However if it isn't (and we've not learnt anything from Crossrail) then that's a very different story.

It's very easy to find articles on HS2 by people who have been against HS2 for years and assume the worse, as it fits their narrative. It's much harder to know for sure what's going on. What I do know is that currently costs (a mixture of spend too date and projected cost increases for Euston) are still within budget with some contingency spare for a few more elements to cost more before we even start to go over budget.

Sonik

I understood that the reason for long turnarounds is to allow padding for timetable recovery, same also applies for the very high top speed (which is not intended to be the normal running speed)

Both of these factors allow the most costly part (i.e. the running lines between the cities) to be utilized to near maximum capacity, thus ROI for the asset can be higher by carrying more passengers on the same track.

Any services that e.g. arrive late for their slot off the classic network can be slotted in as they arrive, with trains bunching up a little either side, and any following trains thus delayed a little can recover their time at the next turnaround. It's also fair to say that the cost of any additional rolling stock is trivial compared to the cost of building and maintaining the infrastructure; apparently the general rule of thumb is about 10:1 for infrastructure vs train costs.

Before designing the concept for HS2, Andrew McNaughton spoke to many other countries about their HSR experiences (e.g. France, Spain, Japan, Italy, Germany) and the resounding message from all was something along the lines of 'don't cut corners anywhere, because it will limit the value of the whole asset'. But unfortunately some of the recent cheeseparing of the project (e.g. dropping a platform at Euston) may undo some of these well considered design intentions.

Last edited:

fishwomp

The whole point is that the long passenger trains need the least subsidy, as you can get 600+ passengers to one driver. If we assume a £120,000 a year per driver running trains in service (including pay, pension, training, and pretty much any other cost you could apply to the driver) then if they work 100 days a year and run one return service a day of 600 seats (so all these numbers are setting the value per seat very high) the cost per seat for that driver is £2. Even on a service which is 40% loaded that's £5.
100 days a year, ie. 2 day weeks for £60k + on-costs? Let's try 200 days - with another 25 days training you're at a 5-day week.
At 1hr to Birmingham, that's 3 return workings plus comfort breaks.
We're at 1/6th of your numbers - so whilst the principle is sound that a longer train is cheaper on driver costs, it's small beer at under £1 per seat, so not a big deal. There would still be train managers in each half, and additional roles that need to be in both halves like catering. OTOH, on a Brum - OOC, by the time they've walked through, you're probably already in London and not thinking of instant coffee...

38Cto15E

When Politicians say "We have always been clear" , then they have not. Unfortunately HS2 has become a giant embarrassment for GovUK in the way they have handled things.
We might as well cut our losses and turn HS2 into a Toll motorway and spend the income on 21st Century technology signalling and stock on the WCML.

matacaster

On Moderation

Cutting passenger trains and increasing freight will further worsen the black hole in the railway finances.

Whilst I'm sure freight trains are heavily subsidised and that doesn't help the railways bottom line, accountancy has a lot to answer for.

Suppose for a moment that taxes, fuel duty on lorries and purchase their purchase price was markedly increased to reflect the actual damage they cause to roads etc. There would be a reduction in diesel usage as long distance elements would move to rail lowering fuel imports and improving climate. HGV road tax is laughably small, little more than my 3l petrol car. Companies do things in response to situations. Huge HGVs deliver to local coop shops from massive distribution warehouse far away because it's cheaper than having local warehousing. Its cheaper because of how taxes and accounting work, make taxes on HGVs punitive and companies would open more local distribution facilities with jobs nearer to destination.

NoRoute

Before designing the concept for HS2, Andrew McNaughton spoke to many other countries about their HSR experiences (e.g. France, Spain, Japan, Italy, Germany) and the resounding message from all was something along the lines of 'don't cut corners anywhere, because it will limit the value of the whole asset'. But unfortunately some of the recent cheeseparing of the project (e.g. dropping a platform at Euston) may undo some of these well considered design intentions.

Engineering and design cannot take place isolated from financial realities, the amount of funding available for a project is every bit as real a constraint and factor in the design as all the other engineering parameters.

Designing a project to the latest performance limits and which doesn't cut any corners is great, but only so long as it can still be built within some reasonable tolerance around the budget available. A gold plated project which spends its way through the budget before even half finished has not been well designed or managed.

daodao

Established Member
Yes, it is strange all rumours did not mentioning phrase2a, instead they have said B'ham to Manchester, to me Phrase 2a B'ham to Crewe is a no-brainer for go-ahead.
I agree that phase 2a is worthwhile, and relatively cheap. Phase 2b is relatively expensive, not yet authorised and IMO of limited benefit. I suspect that recent comments by politicians are deliberately not distinguishing the 2 parts of phase 2, in order to justify shelving the whole project north of Birmingham because of the high cost of phase 2b.

How about a simpler Ph2a that plugs Ph1 into the fast-ish lines about 3 miles South of Crewe, thus avoiding all the complex upgrading/independent line stuff that's crept into 2a. Commentators possibly might recall that the financial strategy of the govenrment since last Autumn's crisis has been to 'balance the books' in order to sustain UK Government credibility when it comes to gilt issuance. So they do have some very hard spending limits they have to work to (unlike the situation in the Johnson years....)

The Ham

Established Member
100 days a year, ie. 2 day weeks for £60k + on-costs? Let's try 200 days - with another 25 days training you're at a 5-day week.
At 1hr to Birmingham, that's 3 return workings plus comfort breaks.
We're at 1/6th of your numbers - so whilst the principle is sound that a longer train is cheaper on driver costs, it's small beer at under £1 per seat, so not a big deal. There would still be train managers in each half, and additional roles that need to be in both halves like catering. OTOH, on a Brum - OOC, by the time they've walked through, you're probably already in London and not thinking of instant coffee...

I did say that I'd deliberately over started the costs, mostly so it was easier to compare the difference between train lengths.

Clearly the difference between 600 seats and 1,100 seats is small change, the main point of the numbers was to show that 120 seat trains are the reason why staff costs could be a significant percentage of a TOC's costs, but why longer trains could actually reduce the costs of the subsidy for Northern. Something which HS2 provides for.

However, it was also to highlight that at least some staff costs would be lower per person due to the longer trains.

Obviously, by reducing journey times this further reduces costs. For example the current 5 hours round trip between Manchester/London would be cut to 3 hours. You're nearly at the point where 1 driver can run there and back twice in the same time as once currently. That changes it from sub £1 to sub 50p, whilst they may not sound much, over the course of a year that's (assuming 5 million passengers - which is about half of the London /West Midlands follows) is an extra £2 million for the TOC (and ultimately the government) - which isn't bad for one city pairing.

Chances are that's a low increase as it doesn't allow for any passenger growth.

The Planner

Veteran Member
How about a simpler Ph2a that plugs Ph1 into the fast-ish lines about 3 miles South of Crewe, thus avoiding all the complex upgrading/independent line stuff that's crept into 2a. Commentators possibly might recall that the financial strategy of the govenrment since last Autumn's crisis has been to 'balance the books' in order to sustain UK Government credibility when it comes to gilt issuance. So they do have some very hard spending limits they have to work to (unlike the situation in the Johnson years....)
It does do that. It arrives at Basford Hall Jn. All the work at Crewe has to happen in some shape or form as its knackered. The Independent line work is nothing to do with HS2 and has to happen.

SynthD

How about a simpler Ph2a that plugs Ph1 into the fast-ish lines about 3 miles South of Crewe, thus avoiding all the complex upgrading
You'd make the existing bottlenecks worse, and you'd still need major works on Crewe station for longer platforms and greater passenger flow. The HS2 Crewe station is next to the current one, reducing the disruption.

Mikey C

Established Member
I agree that phase 2a is worthwhile, and relatively cheap. Phase 2b is relatively expensive, not yet authorised and IMO of limited benefit. I suspect that recent comments by politicians are deliberately not distinguishing the 2 parts of phase 2, in order to justify shelving the whole project north of Birmingham because of the high cost of phase 2b.
Or they'll leak that the whole thing north of Birmingham is being cancelled, then "save" 2a and claim that it delivers most of the benefits...

Deepgreen

Established Member
Notwithstanding all of the background to HS2 - over-spending, under-estimating and untenable costs, it just proves that the UK is incapable of world-leading railway construction any more, partly because the Tory government isn't genuinely behind the concept of rail transport. It supported HS2 at the start to appear to be 'levelling-up', but it does not have deep-rooted railway promotion at its core.

Oxfordblues

The lesson from HS1 has been that check-in at St Pancras closes 30 minutes before departure, 45 minutes at weekends, with passengers advised to arrive as much as 90 minutes earlier according to the Eurostar website. At Old Oak Common there will of course be no passport or customs checks, but a minimum check-in time of, say, 30 minutes at busy times would entirely negate the time advantage of travelling on HS2. I wonder if anyone here knows what the HS2 check-in deadline will be?

trebor79

Established Member
The lesson from HS1 has been that check-in at St Pancras closes 30 minutes before departure, 45 minutes at weekends, with passengers advised to arrive as much as 90 minutes earlier according to the Eurostar website. At Old Oak Common there will of course be no passport or customs checks, but a minimum check-in time of, say, 30 minutes at busy times would entirely negate the time advantage of travelling on HS2. I wonder if anyone here knows what the HS2 check-in deadline will be?
Why would it be any different to any other domestic train?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I understood that the reason for long turnarounds is to allow padding for timetable recovery, same also applies for the very high top speed (which is not intended to be the normal running speed)

Both of these factors allow the most costly part (i.e. the running lines between the cities) to be utilized to near maximum capacity, thus ROI for the asset can be higher by carrying more passengers on the same track.

Any services that e.g. arrive late for their slot off the classic network can be slotted in as they arrive, with trains bunching up a little either side, and any following trains thus delayed a little can recover their time at the next turnaround. It's also fair to say that the cost of any additional rolling stock is trivial compared to the cost of building and maintaining the infrastructure; apparently the general rule of thumb is about 10:1 for infrastructure vs train costs.
The cost of the rolling stock might be trivial, but that's not the issue.
This turnaround won't be happening on a siding in the middle of nowhere, it will take place in an enormously expensive Euston station.
Those turnaround assumpsions are costing literal billions because they force an overspecced 11 platform station, a station that was likely unbuildable.

And their response when people to ask about this it is to go to the press and publish op eds attacking anyone who dares question the 11 station design.

A design that assumes a blank cheque is a bad design, the philosophy that they can have as much money as they want is seen throughout HS2.

As an example of the problems caused by that listening project, it has also ensured that HS2 trains will never be able to have level boarding throughout their journey if they go onto the classic network. It also precipitated a court case that HS2 had no chance at all of winning and from which they were also only extricated by Brexit. (This was the platform height debacle)
Which given the supposed emphasis placed on Classica Compatible services, was certainly an odd design choice.

That whole mess has led me to be extremly skeptical of that whole exercise.

Last edited:

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
Is it a given that this cancellation is going to happen I think it would be politically very stupid to announce cancellation or pausing just before the Conservative conference in Manchester already you have got the likes of Andy Burnham angry about this not least Cameron coming out of the woodwork and Johnson aswell surely if you are going to do this you are going to need some serious political cover to neutralise the opposition especially considering we could be less than a year away from a general election does anyone know what that political cover could be I am in favour of HS2 for capacity reasons and I would certainly be very disappointed if it was cancelled or paused with the general Election not to far away why don't the current government say yes costs have spiralled but this will be a decision for the next government to make postponing the decision to after the election to avoid the backlash? Also are the rumours cut beyond Birmigham/Lichfield or Crewe?

Why would it be any different to any other domestic train?
Poorer people (who can only afford fixed-train tickets) will aim to spend at least 30 minutes at OOC, killing time before their HS2 journey for fear of the horrendous financial penalty for missing their train if they were to encounter delays from inbound public transport or bad traffic. Will OOC have enough room to warehouse these people? How many will get seats?

mmh

Established Member
Is it a given that this cancellation is going to happen I think it would be politically very stupid to announce cancellation or pausing just before the Conservative conference in Manchester

I don't think it being stupid is a given - I'd say a cancellation announcement would be popular with most Tory voters, and also a significant amount of Labour voters! "Grassroots tories" have wanted it pared back or scrapped for a long, long time.

The Planner

Veteran Member
You'd make the existing bottlenecks worse, and you'd still need major works on Crewe station for longer platforms and greater passenger flow. The HS2 Crewe station is next to the current one, reducing the disruption.
No it isn't, HS2 will use P5 and 6 in the main at Crewe. There is nothing separate.

0 minutes.

stuu

Established Member
Those turnaround assumpsions are costing literal billions because they force an overspecced 11 platform station, a station that was likely unbuildable.
You have repeatedly made this claim. Clearly there is a significant mismatch between budget and cost but that's not the same as unbuildable. In what way is is unbuildable?

Status
Not open for further replies.