• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loppylugs

After yet another home defeat for my football team, I've decided to opt for some spiritual guidance for them and spend Sunday morning at Bow Church.

Unfortunately, a direct move from Bow Church to St Pauls was outlawed in the 1976 Glaisdale Handbook, due to a requirement that no 2 places that are a place of worship may be moved between in one turn. As such, as the Handbook requires after an illegal move in section B of the 87.2 area, we must immeadiately contact the London Borough of Hounslow for a move to Osterley.

Peter C

Established Member
I contacted the London Borough of Hounslow but seeing as they just have the one telephone in the whole borough, and it being a Sunday, no-one answered; however, their answer-machine said a move to Mill Hill East would be best in the current climate.

-Peter

DerekC

Established Member
I am afraid that walking on a line, even a disused one, is contrary to the forty-third stricture of the great player Judd, so the move is unlikely to be validated when it gets to committee. A subtle and unexpected move is called for to distract the Chairman's attention. Phipps Bridge should do the trick.

DerekC

Established Member
Old Dundonald was a drinking partner of Stovold and it's said that they wrote the Almanac together after a heavy night in the bar of The Camel at Bethnal Green. That's probably why the syntax is a little eccentric.

A Challenge

Established Member
We get on an Eastbound Piccadilly line train and fall asleep, waking up as we arrive into Hillingdon.

A Challenge

Established Member
And didn't you mean westbound
Eastbound was intentionally the opposite way to actually getting to Hillingdon, as we were asleep through Cockfosters and all the way back (see the thread on long overcarries, not sure this particular example but similar has happened whereby people wake up having gone through both termini and are heading in the correct direction but further away from their intended destination after two reversals)

A Challenge

Established Member
Given that through the Caerdydd Convention, use of the Eurostar is prohibited concurrently with important Welsh events such as St David's Day, we will have to go to Paddington (H&C) instead of getting on the Eurostar

Spamcan81

Given that through the Caerdydd Convention, use of the Eurostar is prohibited concurrently with important Welsh events such as St David's Day, we will have to go to Paddington (H&C) instead of getting on the Eurostar

Keeping to the St. David's therme, I will go and (virtually) celebrate with London Welsh RFC at Richmond.

Spamcan81

At Richmond, I eat some sausages and hop on an SWR to Hampton Court

Are you absolutely sure you wish to play that move? This has opened up the possibility of getting to MC in no more than 25 moves so I will skedaddle off to Burnt Oak in preparation.

Hey 3

Ah, I had enough of being lonely in a forest, so I get a bus to Elstree and Borehamwood station to catch a Thameslink train

backontrack

Established Member
MORNINGTON CRESCENT! :D

(This has been disallowed by VAR. Sorry.)

Post last edited by Ombudsman at 20:05 01/03/2021.

najaB

Veteran Member
According to what rule book? That move definitely isn't allowed by the 1899 Rule Book, and a quick scan of the February 2021 Simplified Rules (which are no longer a temporal anomaly) doesn't turn anything up either.

Peter C

Established Member
A bold move - good work! I believe this is the first time that such a move to Mornington Crescent has been made after a tri-octahedral reversed swap from Elstree and Borehamwood - discounting, of course, the unrecorded games which were played by the Victorians shortly after the travel version of the game had been made especially for those on penny-farthings.

According to what rule book? That move definitely isn't allowed by the 1899 Rule Book, and a quick scan of the February 2021 Simplified Rules (which are no longer a temporal anomaly) doesn't turn anything up either.
I've done a quick search through the stone monoliths of east London and I've found an example of where this move could be legal; however I'll need the help of a translator able to go between English and rock to be sure. The 1899 rules were amended in 1903, remember - although whether this could solve this issue I don't know.

-Peter

backontrack

Established Member
Sorry, my fault. It seems that Samantha was eating one of Sven's fabled sausage sandwiches at the time, and it turns out that an unfortunately-timed jet of salad cream had obscured the date on her rulebook. Apologies.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
A bold move - good work! I believe this is the first time that such a move to Mornington Crescent has been made after a tri-octahedral reversed swap from Elstree and Borehamwood - discounting, of course, the unrecorded games which were played by the Victorians shortly after the travel version of the game had been made especially for those on penny-farthings.

Ahh, thank you! Sadly you are correct insofar as records do not exist to extemporise games pre-1902. Apparently the only reliable, credited authority on these matches is no longer with us - the late Nicholas Parsons, who had barely entered his dotage when the first penny-farthing was constructed.

I've done a quick search through the stone monoliths of east London and I've found an example of where this move could be legal; however I'll need the help of a translator able to go between English and rock to be sure. The 1899 rules were amended in 1903, remember - although whether this could solve this issue I don't know.

-Peter

Sorry, Peter. I only speak pebble.

Peter C

Established Member
Ahh, thank you! Sadly you are correct insofar as records do not exist to extemporise games pre-1902. Apparently the only reliable source on these matches is no longer with us - the late Nicholas Parsons, who had barely entered his dotage when the first penny-farthing was constructed.
You're very welcome - it's important to help others out in these matters. I think the Royal Society may have some damaged records of old Mornington Crescent games, but they are very poor and so your comment about Nicholas Parsons is correct.

Sorry, Peter. I only speak pebble.
Ah: that's a shame, but understandable considering pebble is much more common than rock - especially on the coast.

-Peter

backontrack

Established Member
You're very welcome - it's important to help others out in these matters. I think the Royal Society may have some damaged records of old Mornington Crescent games, but they are very poor and so your comment about Nicholas Parsons is correct.

Ah: that's a shame, but understandable considering pebble is much more common than rock - especially on the coast.

-Peter
No trouble at all.

I suppose it is, although most people expect me to have a bit more of a chalk accent down these parts.

In any case, seeing as we appear to have reached an impasse, it might be wiser for me to punt things into the long grass. North Greenwich it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.