• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Because MC is on the LU system. There have been variations such as Morganstown Crescent used when the programme was in Cardiff and I believe Morningside Crescent when it was broadcast in Edinburgh. If you wish to go further afield then the name of the game should be changed, perhaps to Anywhere Crescent. A blue plaque dedicated to one of the original panellists of the game is to be found at MC station. Enjoy the game, it can be witty, funny and just plain silly, but that's what "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" was all about.
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ostrich

In order to restart proceedings after the above very interesting discussion on the rules, I have resorted to a Random Word Generator, and it has come up with Debden.

Trackman

Established Member
Yes, the "rules" are fictional. Have a look at Mornington Crescent rules on Wikipedia.
We tell all the newbies this ;) It's a like a secret society, but you can buy books on the rules... honest! - google.
Last move was Debden, I'm not going to fall for fool's Crescent so going to show off with an en passant move and go with Clapham Common.

DerekC

Established Member
Sorry, but the VAR (virtual aspirational rhinoceros) says you were offside, so it's Nidd for you. I am going to play the advantage rule and head for Dollis Hill for a kip.

Purple Train

Established Member
I'm going to take a risk and introduce the Zone 5 Wild Card. Therefore I shall play Ickenham.

I shall also invoke condition 9 of the Zone 5 Wild Card and bring into play the possibility of sticking needless italics at the bottom of posts, which does absolutely nothing whatsoever but means I can get away with this ramble.

DerekC

Established Member
Boring, all this sticking to the rules. I am going to go off-piste, take a big step forward and lob the ball straight into the nearest bunker at Watford High Street.

Purple Train

Established Member
At 10.15 in the morning? Are you on nights, or just really keen?
I don't hold with this traipsing-to-the-pub nonsense. I'm going to move quickly to Tooting Bec.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The only response to that is a dangerous Thoresen/Johansen move. I know it is risk but at this stage of the competition you have to take risks to succeed. There are only 2 options and I think this is the most risky but I am a maverick and I like to take risks. it is unexpected and could throw people off thier game. It is almost a dead cat move but not quite.

Upton Park

DerekC

Established Member
As I understand Footnote 17 to Rule 46b(ii) there is only one possible response to a move which is so obviously contrary to the basic principles of the game, as set out very simply in pages 29 to 463 of my favoured reference work, Jellicle's "Mornington for Morons". Beckton.

duncanp

Established Member
and I am going to invoke the little known Boris Johnson addendum, which implies a move further along the Central Line to South Ruislip

Purple Train

Established Member
The 1989 rulebook includes a little-invoked clause commonly known as the Merryweather-Goldfinch-Rosefinch Method (or MGR for short), which states that, after a move to somewhere with -water in its name, the MGR method is used to calculate the next stopping point based on allocating a random number (well, not random - lots of rules are considered, though the full method is beyond the scope of this post), said number corresponding the the position of a station in a list in alphabetical order. Therefore I shall use the MGR method to calculate my next cunning move.

[...]

Bother, my machine has stopped! I guess I'll just have to run away to Southwark.

htafc

After mulling over the "it's grim oop norff" protocol I consider a stroll in North Wembley more appropriate than a 'South Wark'.
Controversial, I know, but these are strange times indeed.......

Purple Train

Established Member
While I am always eager to hear your opinions and read your interesting posts, we may have to agree to disagree on this issue. North Wembley is not a wise move; I consider it more prudent to take a stroll for the second night of the Acton Christmas pantomime: this time from Acton Central.

Ostrich

As you will all know, Johann Fischer von Waldheim discovered the Siberian Unicorn in 1808. It is said to have measured over 16 feet long and weighed over three tons.
And it was obviously the inspiration for the focal point of my next move - Battersea Power Station.

DerekC

Established Member
That's an illegal entry. Two twelve-digit names have been used in succession on the second Friday of the month and it's Mrs Trellis's birthday, so the Northern Line is prohibited for seventeen moves. I fancy a bit of sun, so I'm off to Cyprus.

Established Member
Good idea, we haven’t been there since post #109 ;)

So before it gets overcrowded, Horseferry Road

(and thanks for getting me out of Nidd)

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Chancery Lane.

I can't be bothered to explain why.
I'll have to Huff you, it's a lateral move from Horseferry and dosent go around. So I'm going with Shepherd's Bush as it's double points in the Adventūs Nātīvitās Bethlehem rules as published.

DerekC

Established Member
Now - seven letter name with an "x" in it. I dimly recall advice from Hoffensteiner on this situation, although unfortunately my copy of his book has upped sticks and moved next door where it gets fed better. I think the right thing to do is try for a wormhole move. They can have unpredictable results, so here's hoping ...... Turkey Street again. Oh well, could have been worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.