• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most out of date station sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle

Established Member
http://g.co/maps/cc9f5

Noticed this for the first time the other day. It's not out of date per-se other than the British Rail signage, but could definately do with replacing! (all the directional signs between the two stations could do with replacing tbh)

Interesting that it has NSE branding; uniquely, only one of the town's two stations was in the NSE area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
On the bridge that carries the North London Line over Camden Road is a huge BR arrows and Camden Road sign. Also as you look towards the Narrow way in Hackney you can still see the writting 'North London Link' on the bridge where the railways goes across.

The Sleeper

jon0844

Veteran Member
On the bridge that carries the North London Line over Camden Road is a huge BR arrows and Camden Road sign. Also as you look towards the Narrow way in Hackney you can still see the writting 'North London Link' on the bridge where the railways goes across.

Highbury & Islington still has signs on the platform for the North London Link I think, even now it's London Overground.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
2 more for you.

1 from the subway at Hebden Bridge next the boarded up, but still evident, goods cage lift.

1 from Selby Platform 1.

Attachments

• Hebden Bridge Subway.jpg
    Hebden Bridge Subway.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Selby.jpg
    Selby.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 108
Slightly related - there is a pedestrian sign on the Victoria Road Exit of Darlington, proclaiming "Feethams - Football and Cricket". DFC haven't played at Feethams since 2003, and the last first class game of cricket was in 1994.

Doesn't really compare to some of the others though.

Smethwickian

A few years ago at Fareham, a few of the poster display cabinets were removed from the waiting room wall on the island platform, revealing a few British Rail posters from the 1960s and 1970s.

Similarly revealed, a 1980s-ish Golden Rail poster on Coventry platform 3, currently visible behind a new equipment cabinet of some kind.

Established Member
Noted on a recent trip to Moorgate a full Metropolitan and Chiltern Line timetable for 1982!

robertclark125

Established Member
A friend has confirmed to me that the br tresspass signs at Hebburn Tyne and Wear metro are still there. It's worth noting that EWS/DBS freight trains do run on a third track past the station, but the platform on the newcastle side is well away from it!

Last edited:

snail

Established Member
Here's a blast from the past I spotted in the booking office at Lancaster.

Attachments

• IMAG0354.jpg
    IMAG0354.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 57

ACE1888

Carnell Green sited around a mile from Gwinear Road station (closed 1964) still signposted today
100_0034_02.jpg

Station was the Junction for the Helston Branch (closed 1962 and to Freight in 1964)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Just a couple of things that I have seen. Both photos date from August this year, so should still be there.

The first picture is of what I call the station totem pole outside Great Yarmouth.
The second picture is of a sign stuck on the old station building at Lowestoft.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 60

deltic1989

Established Member
Yew:794707 said:
Somewhere between Nottingham and Lincoln (possibly rollerston). There is a sign attached to the gate of the old ticket room. 'close this gate. Penalty 2d'. If I go that way today I'll try and get a pic of it
That would be Lowdham sir

Deerfold

Veteran Member
For those wondering, Rabbit was a mobile phone operator in the early 1990s. Sponsored the England Rugby Union team for a season.

Well, sort of. You could use your rabbit phone anywhere within a certain distance of a Rabbit base. Businesses were encouraged to have these bases (and to display the sign shown) and took a percentage of the call charges.

"Rabbit" are now better known as "3", with the parent company having also started and run Orange.

exile

Established Member
There's a sign in Preston pointing to the long defunct Red Star Parcels point.

NSE

Established Member
Not that old, but still out of date, are the Jubilee line signs/posters which all display a connection with the East London line still.
Also I think its Carshalton station that still has a Connex South Central logo on it.

RPM

Established Member
2 more for you.

1 from the subway at Hebden Bridge next the boarded up, but still evident, goods cage lift.

1 from Selby Platform 1.

I can't believe that Selby "Newspapers" sign is still there. I photographed it nearly a decade ago and thought it was an unlikely survivor then!

Well, sort of. You could use your rabbit phone anywhere within a certain distance of a Rabbit base. Businesses were encouraged to have these bases (and to display the sign shown) and took a percentage of the call charges.

"Rabbit" are now better known as "3", with the parent company having also started and run Orange.

I didn't know about 3 being an offshoot of Rabbit, and I work in the industry.

Hutchinson Telecom owned Rabbit. They then founded Orange in the mid nineties. This was purchased by Mannismann who were later purchased by Voda. The monopolies commission said no to Voda owning Orange and subsequently, Orange was sold to France Telecom primarily for the brand. In 2009 FT and Deusch Telecom created a joint company based in the UK called Everything Everywhere. Everything Everywhere have the brands T Mobile and Orange. With the long term plan of completely merging networks, but this has some issues logistically. 3 use the T Mobile voice network, but have their own data paths.

premier01

I think 3 also have some of their own infrastruv
infrastructure for voice calls on their network.

chief

on the ellesmere port bound platform at ince & elton there is a sign that says trains from this platform to hooton & chester, change at hooton for trains to liverpool. trains havent gone past ellesmere port since merseyrail was extended in 1994.

driver9000

Established Member
There's a sign in Preston pointing to the long defunct Red Star Parcels point.

There is more than one, there is another at the corner of Christian Road along with the one near the station entrance.

robertclark125

Established Member
Look out at Kirkcaldy for the painted over Parcels Point sign on the down platform. Painted white, but the lettering is still visible.

driver9000

Established Member
I can't believe that Selby "Newspapers" sign is still there. I photographed it nearly a decade ago and thought it was an unlikely survivor then!

Still there about a year ago :)

Status
Not open for further replies.