• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Name the town...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
[Starts to mutter to self, incomprehensibly]

Hmm... Must try harder...

Oh, sorry, I didn't actually say "Yes" or "No". Salford is correct.

;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Well, you're on my patch now, so it's easier for me!

I am one of two towns in the UK to bear this name, and I am the smaller of the two. I have one station, and am a small university town. My namesake has two stations that bear the name, one with a suffix, and has the distinction of being served by an operating company that is state-owned.

Ivo

Established Member
Why do I get the feeling that "State-Owned" actually refers to something like LU, as opposed to East Coast...?

Either I'm an idiot or this is a tough one. Or both.

4SRKT

Established Member
The main clue is the use of the term 'UK' to describe the country. Get yer lateral thinking cap on!

4SRKT

Established Member
Bangor is correct! I didn't even have to use the 5'3" clue I had up my sleeve!

Ivo

Established Member
I won't comment on that...

Speaking of University, my course resumes in 20 minutes after the holiday. So one last one before it returns, maintaining the University theme...

I am a small-ish city and the home of a University (obviously), but also play host to a campus of a different city's University. There are no less than three stations bearing my name, though one is far smaller than the other two. I am notorious on this forum for being a Pacer hot-bed.

Ivo

Established Member
I will concede that I hadn't thought of Cardiff. But it's not a "small" city. Also, I checked on Wikipedia and discovered that there are four HE institutions there!

4SRKT

Established Member
A pacer hotbed with three stations bearing the name??? Hmmmm.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Exeter?

Waddon

Want to try something a bit different?
OK, I'm taking a journey from platform 3 of a station which has no platform 2 to a station which has no platform 1 (the train does not terminate there but continues on to a major terminus). The journey takes about 18-23 minutes, but can take two different routes. What are the two stations?

Ivo

Established Member
Exeter was, of course, correct.

Interesting idea (new thread maybe?)...

I would have said Bristol TM to Bristol Parkway, but last I checked - bearing in mind that I live in Bath - it only takes ten minutes, and there's only one route. So... that's wrong.

No Platform 1? I can't think of anywhere else without Platform 1... I haven't been exploring enough :(*

Approximately 20 minutes from Platform 3 at Station A to Station B via two alterate outes, and both lack one obvious platform... ?????

*This will be my year for that. 2009 was a warm-up. I want to finish in the Top 5 in the Mileage Competition, and then go for the title next year.

Capybara

Clapham Junction has no Platform 1, so the answer's likely to be Epsom or something like that. Except it isn't Epsom.

Twickenham?

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Here's one:
I am a suburb of a major city. There are five stations within my boundary but only two bear my name. The station that originally bore my name with no suffix is not the busiest.

4SRKT

Established Member
But Oldham isn't even on the NR network anymore, is it?

No, but the stations are still there.......

There are seven stations within what I'd call Hyde (i.e. the SK14 postcode district), Hyde North, Central, Flowery Field, Newton for Hyde, Godley, Hattersley and Broadbottom.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Coatbridge?

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
I'll give you a clue.
Three stations are on one route, which is electrified.
The other stations are on another route, which isn't.

It's possible that the word 'suburb' might be confusing the issue. Maybe it's better to say it is within the bounds of the city

4SRKT

Established Member
The whole business of what constitutes cities, suburbs, boundaries etc is very confusing and open to lots of interpretations. I must say I'm stumped with this, but mainly because I don't really know what you mean by a town that is a suburb that is within the bounds of a city.

EM2

Established Member
Well, it used to be a town on its own years ago. As the nearby city has grown, it has 'consumed' this town, so that it's now part of the city.
Does that make more sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.