• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station calendar

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PR1Berske

Established Member
A browse of Real Time Trains reveals the following Crossrail stations (already known) and their station codes:

New National Rail stations:
Bond Street [BDS]
Canary Wharf [CWX]
Custom House [CUS]
Tottenham Court Road [TCR]
Woolwich [WWC]

Additions to existing National Rail stations:
Paddington Crossrail [PDX]
Farringdon Crossrail [FDX]
Liverpool Street Crossrail [LSX]
Whitechapel Crossrail [WHX]
Abbey Wood Crossrail [ABX]

Also:
Barking Riverside [BGV]
Marsh Barton [MBT]
That's right up my street. Really interesting.

pdeaves

Established Member
A browse of Real Time Trains reveals the following Crossrail stations (already known) and their station codes:

New National Rail stations:
Bond Street [BDS]
Canary Wharf [CWX]
Custom House [CUS]
Tottenham Court Road [TCR]
Woolwich [WWC]

Additions to existing National Rail stations:
Paddington Crossrail [PDX]
Farringdon Crossrail [FDX]
Liverpool Street Crossrail [LSX]
Whitechapel Crossrail [WHX]
Abbey Wood Crossrail [ABX]

Also:
Barking Riverside [BGV]
Marsh Barton [MBT]
Inverness Airport [IVA]

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Wednesday 30 June:
I have moved Reading Green Park into 2022, as per a press article quoting a Network Rail spokesman.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I have added two stations in West Yorkshire to the table at #1.
  • White Rose
  • East Leeds Parkway / Thorpe Park
White Rose is the more advanced having planning permission granted and most of the funding in place. It has been discussed in the 'Cottingley closure' thread, which I can't quite lay my hand on.

These two and Marsh Barton received funding from the government's New Stations Fund which I have loosely called 'round 4'. The funding was not announced as such and not all of the money available was allocated, so there may be further allocations in due course.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Network Rail have just published the Reconnecting Soham newsletter (https://t.co/pKWrvBILGL?amp=1) and buried at bottom...

Handover of the completed station is expected in September, for final commissioning activities ready for it coming into service from December 2021.

First time I've seen 2021 stated as an official opening date.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Soham moved into 2021 from 2022, as per previous post.
Also has it's three letter code now SOJ.

andreading

Reading Green Park update today station has footbridge towers, span and 1 stair case in place. Platforms fully edged.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It now appears that the NR Project Team now refer to the "Dalcross" projected station to serve Inverness Airport as just Inverness Airport.

There is a posting made in response to a query that I raised on the "Aberdeen-Inverness £170m upgrade" thread.

Last edited:
Reading Borough Council have issued a press release detailing progress on Reading Green Park station. It is expected that construction will be completed by November 2021, and that the station will open by June 2022.

https://media.reading.gov.uk/news/green-park-station-takes-shape

Green Park Station Takes Shape

1629215050520.jpeg

READING'S Green Park Station is taking shape with a new footbridge linking the two platforms now in position.

Construction on the new £20 million station began in Spring 2019 and is now progressing well despite initial delays to the project caused by the pandemic.

Reading Borough Council is leading on the construction and work is expected to be completed by November this year. A commissioning period involving the train companies and Network Rail then follows, where the Council needs to wait four to six months for the station to receive authorisation to be entered into service. Green Park Station is expected to be open for public use by June 2022.

The 15-meter bridge spanning the double tracks and weighing approximately 24 tonnes was lifted over the railway using a 200-tonne mobile crane. The full installation of the 2 lift shafts, 2 stair flights and support towers and the overbridge were lifted in over four consecutive weekends, and work was completed on Sunday 8 August 2021.

The completion of this significant milestone follows the practical completion of two 150m platforms and the completion of the main steelwork for the Station Building.

1629215079726.jpeg

Over the coming weeks, works will continue onsite to complete the blockwork associated with the station construction and will conclude with the fit out of the necessary equipment within the station building and platform.

Green Park Station will sit on the Reading to Basingstoke line and will be served by a half-hourly service north to Reading and south to Basingstoke through the day. It will consist of two platforms with disabled access and a multi-modal interchange with a surface level car park, bus stops, taxi rank and cycle parking.

When complete, the new station will help to alleviate queues on the busy A33 by offering an alternative sustainable mode of travel. It will significantly improve accessibility to the south Reading area where large-scale development is taking place, including the expansion of Green Park Business Park and Green Park Village. The station will also be served by buses operating on the Council’s South Reading Mass Rapid Transit route between Mereoak park & ride and Reading town centre.

Tony Page, Reading Borough Council’s Lead Councillor for Strategic Environment, Planning and Transport, said: “It is good to see real progress on the construction of the new Green Park Station with the new passenger footbridge in position.

“As with all major construction projects, the health emergency did cause some initial delays but, all being well, we are now around 3 months away from construction being complete. The station will then be commissioned by Network Rail and GWR before it can open for public use next year.

“When operational, Green Park Station will form an integral part of Reading’s ever-growing sustainable transport infrastructure with more homes, businesses and leisure developments planned in the south of the borough. It will also be another option for football fans heading to the Stadium on match days, again taking the pressure off our busy roads.”

GWR Business Development Director Tom Pierpoint said: “It’s exciting to see Reading Green Park Station starting to take real shape with the installation of the new footbridge. We are working closely with the Council and Network Rail to deliver a project which will provide even better connectivity for customers.

“Reading is a key destination on our network and this new station will help to secure the economic prosperity of the region as we seek to build back better from the pandemic.”

The Green Park Station scheme was granted approval by the Berkshire Local Transport body in November 2014 with £9.15m funded through Thames Valley Berkshire LEP’s Local Growth Fund. A further £5.6m will come from s106 developer contributions. In July 2017 the Department for Transport announced the further £2.3m of funding to ensure the station keeps pace with demand expected from proposed major new developments in the area, In November 2019 the Council secured an additional £2.477m from the Government’s New Stations Fund, and £550k from Thames Valley Berkshire LEP’s (Local Enterprise Partnership) Local Growth Fund, for Green Park Station, bringing the overall budget for Green Park to £20.077m.

kevin_roche

Reading Borough Council have issued a press release detailing progress on Reading Green Park station. It is expected that construction will be completed by November 2021, and that the station will open by June 2022.
Thank you for posting. Does anyone know if access will be possible from both sides of the line or if only from the Green Park side?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thank you for posting. Does anyone know if access will be possible from both sides of the line or if only from the Green Park side?
There’s nothing permanent shown in the planning drawings, only the temporary access for the building work.

Mikey C

Established Member
Nice timing, set to open just after the football season finishes!

Is there a reason why it will take four to six months for the station to receive authorisation?

The exile

Established Member
Nice timing, set to open just after the football season finishes!

Is there a reason why it will take four to six months for the station to receive authorisation?
Other than the fact that the current trend is to “ underpromise” - which all in all is probably better than disappointing at the last minute.

InOban

Established Member
Maybe it's because construction is being led by the Council rather than NR. Having being completed it to the council's satisfaction, NR will probably insist on expensive modifications......

Ianno87

Veteran Member
June 2022 also suggests being opened with the May 2022 timetable change... and always a good idea to be cautious about assuming infrastructure is available ready for the change to take place. (cite source: May 2018)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
June 2022 also suggests being opened with the May 2022 timetable change... and always a good idea to be cautious about assuming infrastructure is available ready for the change to take place. (cite source: May 2018)
In theory it doesn’t really need to wait for the timetable change as the calls are already allowed for in the present timetable, I think they were put in quite a while ago.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
In theory it doesn’t really need to wait for the timetable change as the calls are already allowed for in the present timetable, I think they were put in quite a while ago.

Perhaps managing planner workload; e.g. the stops will be "suppressed" and will require somebody to un-suppress them, which is less work if coincided with a timetable change.

Doesn't sound like much work, but all adds up when planners are already snowed under recovering from Covid and other ongoing changes.

The exile

Established Member
Perhaps managing planner workload; e.g. the stops will be "suppressed" and will require somebody to un-suppress them, which is less work if coincided with a timetable change.

Doesn't sound like much work, but all adds up when planners are already snowed under recovering from Covid and other ongoing changes.
Which is better and less likely to cause genuine inconvenience? Announce "By the end of 2021" and then discover it won't be ready till the end of January, slipping further because January 2022 dumps 2 feet of snow on Berkshire (unlikely I know, but not impossible); or announce "June 2022" and then be able to say, "everything's ready early, so we will be starting services from Easter 2022"?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Sometimes I do wonder about this so-called artificial so-called intelligence that modern software relies upon.

Second effort, also available in another thread for your convenience: :)

My 'neat and tidy habit' would prefer detailed discussion about a specific station to be in it's own thread. I think it also makes it easier for people to keep track of progress on say a station local to them, rather than ploughing through a thread covering several stations.

Where I have found a station (or route) specific thread, I have provided a link from the table at #1. If there are others please let me know.

But I am grateful for continued contributions to this thread!

In general terms, I have made several minor changes to the table at #1.
Three letter codes added for Brent Cross West, Inverness Airport, Portway Park & Ride and Reston.
Dalcross (Inverness Airport) now simply Inverness Airport. Planning Permission granted.
East Linton - planning approval anticipated in August 2021.

SargeNpton

Established Member
In general terms, I have made several minor changes to the table at #1.
Three letter codes added for Brent Cross West, Inverness Airport, Portway Park & Ride and Reston.
Dalcross (Inverness Airport) now simply Inverness Airport. Planning Permission granted.
East Linton - planning approval anticipated in August 2021.
Portway Park & Ride will now be known as Portway Parkway.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Portway Park & Ride will now be known as Portway Parkway.
The name is subject to some discussion.

At 0930 Great Western Railway has no station information. National Rail Enquiries has no entry. Real Times Trains has it as Portway Park and Ride [PRI]. BR Fares has it as Portway Parkway [PRI]. Hopefully, before the station signs are ordered, someone will decide, definitively. Perhaps the signs will be labelled alternately or with both, bilingual style.

More importantly, has construction actually started?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

At 0930 Great Western Railway has no station information. National Rail Enquiries has no entry. Real Times Trains has it as Portway Park and Ride [PRI]. BR Fares has it as Portway Parkway [PRI]. Hopefully, before the station signs are ordered, someone will decide, definitively. Perhaps the signs will be labelled alternately or with both, bilingual style.

Why not just.... "Portway"?

SargeNpton

Established Member

The station will be Portway Parkway, but located adjacent to the Portway Park & Ride. That RTT shows the latter name is an accident of the location data feed that it uses.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
My view is that a Parkway serves as a railhead for a large catchment area, attracting motorists from that wide area by having a large car park, the motorist then makes long(ish) journeys onwards by train. The parkway station removes the need for drivers to enter a congested city centre in order to then make thier rail journey. Park and Ride, like its bus equivalent, may still attract drivers from a wide area but their onward journey is a short hop into town, again reducing traffic on the most congested leg of the overall journey.

As for Portway, the adjacent bus served facility is known as Portway Park and Ride. Naming the station as Portway Parkway would potentially lead to confusion in the minds of the general public ie are there two car parks or one? Does the bus serve the same car park as the train? If Portway Park and Ride car park shows as full, how far is it to Portway Parkway car park instead and are there spaces available there?

The station will be Portway Parkway, but located adjacent to the Portway Park & Ride. That RTT shows the latter name is an accident of the location data feed that it uses.
But, for the real purpose of this Station Calendar thread, has construction actually started? I searched Bristol Council website and West of England Combined Authority but can find no recent press releases, project management updates, or such. The latest published information being a response to a public question at a board meeting in January.

29/1/21: response to public question: Detailed design for the project is currently underway and progressing well, with construction due to start on site in March. The station is due to open in December 2021. The station is being funded jointly by WECA, the Department for Transport’s New Stations Fund and Bristol City Council.

Last edited: