• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noisiest locos, DMU, EMU past and present

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
It is, running up to 900rpm with two turbos rather than earlier engine's four. Believe CP1800s (Portuguese 50s) only had two turbos as well? The 56s had an element of silencing not that you'd know. If listen to a 56 in a tunnel the typical 50 dub dub sound does come through.
In the right conditions, the 50 dub-dub/thud-thud clearly comes through on a 56 under power. Here is a example (from the Roy TheMouth YT channel):

But if we're allowed foreign stuff then...
More deafening overseas diesel locos found on my extensive trawls of YouTube....

The China Railways HXN5 (aka the GE ES59ACi), dating from 2008 & powered by the GEVO16 prime mover. The modern TE10 in terms of raw noise levels (Video from the qj7205 channel):

The Soviet/Ukrainian TE10/ТЭ10 family, powered by the Kharkov 10D100 two-stroke, opposed-piston prime mover (whose roots can be traced back to a American Fairbanks-Morse design dating from at least the 1930s). The 2 & 3-section examples (2TE10s & 3TE10s respectively) under full power are as 'heavy metal' as diesel locos get. And that is without mentioning the copious levels of smoke they can produce! (from the Air of Freedom channel):

The BR/DB 232/233 of Germany. Need I say more than 'Ludmilla'? (video from the BR233lok channel):

And finally, the CIÉ/IÉ 071 class (and by extenstion the NIR 111 class). A loud breed of loco as a collective, but IÉ's 082 has been a standout for some time now (from the Metro Vick channel):

Honorable mentions go to the 44, CL/CLF/CLP and C classes of Australia.

CW2

Established Member
Well if we are going beyond these shores in our search, may I commend:
Portugal, 1900 class
Slovenia, 664 class
Greece, A451 class
Turkey, DE22 and DE24 classes

Last edited:

Chorley Cake

We're not going to mention the almighty roar of the 373s? What a sound.
Yes, particularly so in the crater that is Stratford International. They sound like a swarm of mega bees as they approach.

Truly feels like an experience when one passes.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Well if we are gong beyond these shores in our search, may I commend:
Portugal, 1900 class
Ah, the SNCF Class CC 72000's Portuguese cousin. Positively thunderous under load (from the GRIDMASTER6 YT channel):

Sticking with Portugal, and from the same YT channel, a 1800 class (basically a Portuguese Class 50 for those unaware) under load. Contrast and compare with their British relatives!

ac6000cw

Established Member
Ah, the SNCF Class CC 72000's Portuguese cousin. Positively thunderous under load (from the GRIDMASTER6 YT channel):

Sticking with Portugal, and from the same YT channel, a 1800 class (basically a Portuguese Class 50 for those unaware) under load. Contrast and compare with their British relatives!

I think I remember reading somewhere that CP had problems with the exhaust silencers on the 1900s and ended up just removing them... I was walking around São Martinho do Porto some years ago and what I can only describe as 'rolling thunder' went through the town.... I suspect that was a 1900 or 1930 (the railway was out of sight so I couldn't check).

More deafening overseas diesel locos found on my extensive trawls of YouTube....

The China Railways HXN5 (aka the GE ES59ACi), dating from 2008 & powered by the GEVO16 prime mover. The modern TE10 in terms of raw noise levels (Video from the qj7205 channel):

Having (once) heard a CSX GE AC6000CW 'in the metal' I can imagine how loud a pair of 6000 hp V16s might be...

Here's some Canadian Pacific GE's (4400hp ES44AC and AC4400CW) accelerating away after crew changes in an 'urban canyon' of buildings in Kamloops, BC, filmed around and from the hotel I was staying in:

(No great artistic merit there, but that has been one of my most popular YouTube videos - I'm sure the diesel noise is the main reason :) )

Efini92

Established Member
142 on any tight curve, the flange squeal will wake even the deepest of sleepers.

Alfie1014

Best sounding DMUs ever! Sadly no longer in commercial service with SNCF but preserved and used occasionally on rail tours on the mainline. You have to excuse the cheminots excessive use of the horn but enjoy the magnificent scenery of the Massif Central!

Last edited:

lincolnshire

If you are talking about noise then the class 68s have got to be up there for a modern diesel.
Totally agree with you on them been very noisy for a new class of loco, when stood in a station like York you certainly know where it is waiting. In this day and age not something you should have to put up with all the passengers waiting should get a claim in for deafness.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I think I remember reading somewhere that CP had problems with the exhaust silencers on the 1900s and ended up just removing them... I was walking around São Martinho do Porto some years ago and what I can only describe as 'rolling thunder' went through the town.... I suspect that was a 1900 or 1930 (the railway was out of sight so I couldn't check).

Having (once) heard a CSX GE AC6000CW 'in the metal' I can imagine how loud a pair of 6000 hp V16s might be...

Here's some Canadian Pacific GE's (4400hp ES44AC and AC4400CW) accelerating away after crew changes in an 'urban canyon' of buildings in Kamloops, BC, filmed around and from the hotel I was staying in:

(No great artistic merit there, but that has been one of my most popular YouTube videos - I'm sure the diesel noise is the main reason :) )
Judging from the above clip, I can certainly beileve that the silencers were either not working properly or had been removed entirely. 'Rolling Thunder' is frankly a understatement!

Even with that engine displacement in mind, I was surprised by just how loud they were, for such a modern design. Then again, 68s and 70s are hardly what you'd call whisper-quiet!

Am surprised anyone at that hotel can get any peace with those big brutes growling past just a few dozen yards away lol

More from Australia, specifically ALCos of the 44 & JL class breeds (from the BelbinVideo YT channel) cresting Cowan bank with a fully laden intermodal. ALCos are known the world over for the copius amounts of smoke they throw out when notching up from rest, but it has to be said they sound bloomin' awesome (and noisy!) when doing it. The soundtrack is, to these ears at least, a blend of EE and Sulzer. Certainly distinct from anything in the EMD and GE stables at any rate!

peteb

On the Severn Valley Railway, if you go somewhere like Arley which is a very quiet spot, some miles from main roads etc then I'd say a Deltic is noisiest of all heritage diesels, because of its continuous napier drone, but starting off a class 37 can be deafeningly loud. Out on the mainline at Kidderminster the only locos I can hear inside my house are class 68s, nothing else gets through the double glazing!

On Moderation

As you've brought up modern GE power, you might like this one with nine AC4400CWs and AC60/44 convertibles:
39600 of GE AC horse power, lifts a train toward D&RGW's Tennessee Pass at Pando, CO. 1997 - YouTube

And this which includes an AC6000CW:
13,400 HP Hill Climb (Including an AC6000CW) - YouTube

londonmidland

Established Member
Surprisingly Voyagers can heard from quite far away when the conditions are right. Full power and you can hear the drone of the engines from over a mile away.

ac6000cw

Established Member
As you've brought up modern GE power, you might like this one with nine AC4400CWs and AC60/44 convertibles:
39600 of GE AC horse power, lifts a train toward D&RGW's Tennessee Pass at Pando, CO. 1997 - YouTube

And this which includes an AC6000CW:
13,400 HP Hill Climb (Including an AC6000CW) - YouTube
Pure chance, but the only AC6000CW I've ever seen (and heard!) in the metal is CSX #649 - the second video features CSX AC6000CW #648 (and it makes the SD40-2 in the middle of the set look small...)

peteb

I am currently at Bulmer Farm Ryton which is 3.2 miles from the Malton to Scarborough line as the crow flies. The class 68 loco hauled services are clearly audible inside my double glazed holiday home, just heard the 2225 Malton to Scarborough roaring away! Hoping for a ride on one of these this week! Otherwise silence prevails here in Yorkshire.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
Loco - Class 66. Hearing one start up is truly something else!
DMU - Class 220 Voyagers scream when they depart stations.
EMU - Class 365 networker express - is so loud it might bust an eardrum!
If you want a couple of present EMUs, then GTR Class 455s certainly growl a lot, and Class 357s are nowhere near subtle when leaving a station.

Master Cutler

On the Severn Valley Railway, if you go somewhere like Arley which is a very quiet spot, some miles from main roads etc then I'd say a Deltic is noisiest of all heritage diesels, because of its continuous napier drone, but starting off a class 37 can be deafeningly loud. Out on the mainline at Kidderminster the only locos I can hear inside my house are class 68s, nothing else gets through the double glazing!
Deltics also take the medal for noisiest shut down, with all of the counter-rotating timing gears between the clockwise and anti-clockwise crank shafts.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I have to give a mention to the class 180, they idle loud, full speed loud and they breaks just sound AWFUL when in use.
This. Everything about 180s just screams noisy. The idle noise, the sound they make when slowing down, everything. Their brake squeal makes a 142 sound like feathers rustling in comparison.

The (I presume) cooling fans on 185s are rather loud as well.

js1000

TPE's Class 68s are ridiculous in terms of noise. The fact that one is actually called Destroyer is all you need to know. Can hear them miles away. Great if you're an enthusiast, awful if you're a resident along a line. On the occasion I have been to Manchester Piccadilly or Liverpool Lime Street when one is sat idling in the train shed, you can hear them around the whole station.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
TPE's Class 68s are ridiculous in terms of noise. The fact that one is actually called Destroyer is all you need to know. Can hear them miles away. Great if you're an enthusiast, awful if you're a resident along a line. On the occasion I have been to Manchester Piccadilly or Liverpool Lime Street when one is sat idling in the train shed, you can hear them around the whole station.

I can’t believe they are more noisy than a Class 50 powering up Pirbright bank on a summer evening. (Other banks are available).

AGH

Backing onto chat moss I get a nice mix of traction passing by old and new. 68s are by far the loudest and more than a 66 on full tilt with Drax in tow. From my misspent youth, I recall hearing a 40 some distance before it turned up, a 31/4 at full belt caused a racket and a 45 climbing out of Lime Street all stick in the mind. As to multiple units the modern ones are very quiet but I recall 304s to Crewe being noisy ( mainly due to panel gaps) and a 104 being a rattler.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Oh yes 185s are noisy I've been on one before @londonmidland. But 220 voyagers seem noisier - maybe due to more power?
Both have Cummins QSK-19 engines producing 750hp, although I think that the engines on Voyagers have been derated. Maybe the difference in transmissions makes the difference.

As for my pick for noisy trains, I’d nominate the sound of the brakes on the Class 150, 153, 155 & 156. They are defining at what seems like step 2 when sat over the bogies.

BoroAndy

Yes... Listening to the brakes on a 155 at Filey Station in the seconds before stopping, unbelievable. Surely some WD40 would improve things.

Status
Not open for further replies.