• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noisiest locos, DMU, EMU past and present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Yes... Listening to the brakes on a 155 at Filey Station in the seconds before stopping, unbelievable. Surely some WD40 would improve things.
To be honest I find the rubbing noise at speed louder, although I think that it’s quite a nice noise, unlike the squeal as they’re about to stop.

Even though I haven’t been to the States, I’d imagine the break rubbing on the Amfleet carriages can be quite deafening - I do still think that it sounds nice, brings with it a real sense of occasion as this big long distance train stops to pick you up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
It's the exhaust setup on the 185s that makes them growl compared to a 220. The engine and turbo outputs are similarly rated

If you want noise from a QSK19, the place to be is the centre cabs of a 6 car 185 giving it full bore through Morley or Standedge tunnels. it sounds better westbound as the speed drops for the curve through Morley or Marsden stations then you get the distinctive growl as the train accelerates up to the 85 linespeed while in the tunnels. Eastbound the trains are pretty much already up to speed.

I miss working 185s.....

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
37s are nosier! Look for the vids on YouTube of the solo 37 on banking duties up the lickey, or the DRS 37 storming out of preston....

Ken H

On Moderation
37s are nosier! Look for the vids on YouTube of the solo 37 on banking duties up the lickey, or the DRS 37 storming out of preston....
I got an unsilenced 37 + 4 on a cardiff - manchester from Crewe when the 155's had door issues. It was a little late and the driver had a grudge. I was in the coach right behind the loco. That was loud!

cambsy

On Moderation
I think the noisiest and best sounding engines were the 20,s, 33,s, 37,s, 50,s 55,s, 56,s 58,s, the older engines are the best for pure noise and hellfire thrash. I have some memorable thrash from various engines, had a 31 and 26 mega thrash on a 2 day railtour, got looped at the bottom of shap and the noise they made up Shap was unbelievable, sounded like they were ripping themselves apart, had a pair of 20,s diverted on a railtour down the GSW doing 85mph clocked, was absolutely hellfire, had pair of 33,s down the WCML from Glasgow to Birmingham on railtour which was great thrash all the way.

Been fortunate to have some great thrash and high speed blasts from class 55 Royal Scots Grey, on the ECMl and WCML, head out window enjoying the thrash, definitely a hellfire beast, the 56,s or 58,s could make a good racket too, and really thrash, had some really good thrash and high speed running from 50,s on railtours and service trains, loved the Hoovers, but my most travelled behind and probably favourite were the 37,s which were just pure thrash monsters, too many hellfire thrashes too remember them all, when double headed they could get very high speeds too, had over 100mph out of them, a memorable run was Fort William to Exeter on a land cruise few years ago, at front of the train, running very late, ended up being over night journey, hours upon hours of blissful thrash.

For modern trains and locos, the 68,s aren’t too shabby, and the 66,s are ok but can take or leave them, I think the Stadler Flirts 755 make a decent amount of various noises when switching electric to diesel and their engines are pretty loud, but nothing can compare to older generation diesel locos, just make better noise and sound.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Living near the Edinburgh-Glasgow line, I've got used to the average train sounds here. The 385s and Azumas, running from the OLE here, sound virtually identical; a whine but no rumble from them. The lone 170 working each day is slightly louder and the exhaust has a sort of resonant honk to it.

The Avanti 220s, running empty, are louder. They almost sound like a procession of lorries. They don't make a 'rail' noise to my ears. The I7C HST sets are noisy, with a bellow as each power car passes.

Of the locos, 66s are the quietest. They don't trash, the only standout noise is the 'ying ying' at low speeds. Even on very long engineers trains they seem quiet and well within limits.

Class 70s have a whine that is quite characteristic, almost like a jet engine. Not horrifically loud, but you can identify it from the sound alone.

37s on PLPR and UTU trains are unmistakable, naturally! 68s were throughly loud when they were on Fife Circle trains, especially in the dead of night in early lockdown. I could hear them four minutes 'out' from passing the house. Probably my favourite railway sound, hearing them blast past in the night.

The 73/9s on the Caledonian Sleeper have a nice rumble to them, though not as loud as a 68.

londonmidland

Established Member
The Avanti 220s, running empty, are louder. They almost sound like a procession of lorries.
If the wind is right, you can hear them from a few miles away when on full throttle. They have this distinct sound to them as they approach, as heard here

yorkguy

I am currently at Bulmer Farm Ryton which is 3.2 miles from the Malton to Scarborough line as the crow flies. The class 68 loco hauled services are clearly audible inside my double glazed holiday home, just heard the 2225 Malton to Scarborough roaring away! Hoping for a ride on one of these this week! Otherwise silence prevails here in Yorkshire.
Know what you mean! I live about a couple of miles from Malton station and hear every service, but the 22.25 seems to stand out more than most

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Its not really the engine making most of the noise I don't think, The auxiliary systems running seem to drown out most of the engine noise

Pigeon

Is there any sound footage of the Fell diesel in action? That must have made a fair bit of noise when at full pelt.

It did. It made a dreadful racket. It was so loud they even thought it was too loud in that day and age.

The Great Western gas turbine machines must have been pretty loud too. They were certainly pretty windy, producing enough blast to blow soot off the inside of Paddington roof.

Surprised to see people citing 150s and their successors since none of the modern DMUs are anywhere near as loud as the old-style DMUs. Especially when they were accelerating out of a station in first gear and hit that exhaust system resonance they had and farted like a thousand Morris Minors while blattering out great clouds of black smoke.

Electrics... the original slant-fronted AC electrics were called "Roarers" for a reason, and the Woodhead ones were even louder.

Bevan Price

Established Member
UK Diesel Loco - Class 55, 68.
UK DMU - Class 110 (inside & outside), Voyagers (outside)
UK Steam - LNWR (LMSR) Class 7F 0-8-0 on heavy freight trains.

Overseas - I think that the East German DR Class 120s sounded even louder than the later versions (DR132/DB232)
(Video blocked when I tried to post link; search youtube for DR Class 120)

The Hungarian Class M62 are from the same family.

BoroAndy

It did. It made a dreadful racket. It was so loud they even thought it was too loud in that day and age.

The Great Western gas turbine machines must have been pretty loud too. They were certainly pretty windy, producing enough blast to blow soot off the inside of Paddington roof.

Surprised to see people citing 150s and their successors since none of the modern DMUs are anywhere near as loud as the old-style DMUs. Especially when they were accelerating out of a station in first gear and hit that exhaust system resonance they had and farted like a thousand Morris Minors while blattering out great clouds of black smoke.

Electrics... the original slant-fronted AC electrics were called "Roarers" for a reason, and the Woodhead ones were even louder.
I think the 142s were very cleverly based on mk1 dmus, with regards to the vibrating/bouncing seat frames

Recessio

I don't see many DMUs living in the former Southern region. For EMUs, I do remember that when I was regularly weekend-commuting on Thameslink 319s that the wheel flange noise and some particularly noisy/thrashy units can't have been fun for the people living in flats right next to the rail line, especially the sections between Blackfriars and East Croydon.

RichJF

Class 68 must be the noisiest loco on the UK rails atm (not my vid):

I don't see many DMUs living in the former Southern region. For EMUs, I do remember that when I was regularly weekend-commuting on Thameslink 319s that the wheel flange noise and some particularly noisy/thrashy units can't have been fun for the people living in flats right next to the rail line, especially the sections between Blackfriars and East Croydon.
Look forward to the 769s (319s) returning to the BML when they can scream again between Redhill & Gatwick. I fondly remember both 319 & 508 DC motor scream through Merstham Tunnel at full chat.

matchmaker

Established Member
Steam thrash - check on Youtube for 5690 "Leander" tackling Lickey unassisted with load 6. The exhaust blast is incredible!

lord rathmore

Loco - Valenta cl 43
dmu - take your pick from any of the original 1950s dmus after ten years use. Inside, some of them rattled so loudly you couldn’t hold a conversation.
emu - class 301/302/303 had desperately noisy compressors

Strathclyder

Established Member
Class 70s have a whine that is quite characteristic, almost like a jet engine. Not horrifically loud, but you can identify it from the sound alone.
The loudest aspect of the 70s under power seems to be the traction motors, which would tie in with your jet engine description. While not at all common north of the border, Freightliner's 70s have always seemed to be far more vocal in this respect than the Colas examples (linked YT video from the HSTHoward channel).

In keeping with the General Electric theme but heading overseas to Australia, here is a classic GE gurgler in the form of a EL Class (dating from September 1991 & fitted with a GE 7FDL-12 prime mover) giving a errant XPT set a shove up the notorious Cowan bank (linked video from the Rock Solid Railroad YT channel) with it's container train in tow (skip to 1:47 for the main event), letting all of the surrounding areas know that it's there in the process. One for you, @ac6000cw. ;)

Last edited:
The West Midlands Class 170s seem to have been suffering from sparse maintenance recently, turning a fun journey up the Lickey with one to five minutes of pure thrash! Even on level track they develop hell of a racket with their signature sound.

londonmidland

Established Member
The West Midlands Class 170s seem to have been suffering from sparse maintenance recently, turning a fun journey up the Lickey with one to five minutes of pure thrash! Even on level track they develop hell of a racket with their signature sound.
Is this the (radiator?) fans going crazy, by any chance? Quite a few 170s do this from time to time.

Strathclyder

Established Member
A pair of White Pass and Yukon loco's re-engined with Cummins QSK45L V12 diesels - skip through to the 1:48 point to hear them accelerating upgrade from a stop. The loud wailing noise at full power is something to behold...

Have been struggling to place what they sounded like when they're accelerating upgrade for a while now and then it suddenly hit me: a cross between a Deltic and a Detroit Diesel.

LiftFan

I've always found 150/1s to be loud in particular, you can't have any kind of conversation with one on full power! Finding a lot of the 319s these days have become noisier, the growl when departing a station seems to vibrate most of the carriage.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Have been struggling to place what they sounded like when they're accelerating upgrade for a while now and then it suddenly hit me: a cross between a Deltic and a Detroit Diesel.
To me, the pair of the WP&YR locos sound like a more raucous Western with the volume on 11... (I shot that video - they are very noisy, especially when the sound is reflected back from a solid wall of rock!)

Last edited:

Cravens

Loco - Valenta cl 43
dmu - take your pick from any of the original 1950s dmus after ten years use. Inside, some of them rattled so loudly you couldn’t hold a conversation.
emu - class 301/302/303 had desperately noisy compressors
I’d like to throw the A60/62 Stocks in there for the desperately noisy compressor category.

Status
Not open for further replies.