• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norhern Rail Class 153

Status
Not open for further replies.
What routes and time do Northern Rail's Class 153 single car units operate on?.

As I heared about these units been painted and done the interior inside I fancy having a ride one to see what is like.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
They're usually used for strengthening other services, you often see them hooked up to a 155 on Calder Valley services; I saw a 2x153 at Manchester Victoria the other week and I wondered why so many 155s were converted. On their own they work Preston - Ormskirk services as well as Lancaster - Barrow services, also around Doncaster.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Around Sheffield, they're not so common as they used to be. They sometimes turn up on services from the Doncaster direction, and to/from Lincoln, but rarely on any others (Leeds/Barnsley/Manchester directions).

I wonder if they operate from Sheffield to Leeds(Stopping service) on their own and do they operate on local routes around Manchester on their own?

If yes what routes?

Jordy

Established Member
The Cleethorpes - Barton is a guaranteed 153 ;) (Except one very early morning service)

Bayum

Established Member
I've seen them working on the Leeds - Lancaster Services before =|

morgantyreman

class 153s can normal be found on the Leeds-Castleford-Knottingley-Wakefield Kirkgate.
and you can also see them on the Selby - Leeds route. To be honest there all over west Yorkshire

The only booked 153 diagram in S Yorks is as follows:

08:10 Scunthorpe - Lincoln
11:27 Lincoln - Adwick
14:14 Adwick - Sheffield
15:24 Sheffield - Scunthorpe
17:18 Scunthorpe - Sheffield
(then totters off somewhere, not quite sure where)

This service should be a refurbished Northern 153 (as they were partly sponsored by SYTPE) but more often than not an un-refurbished ex FNW 153 will turn up instead.

Mr Spock

Was at Leeds from about 11am til 3pm today and saw 9 or 10 different 153's, 3 working together and the others working with a 150 or 155 unit. Sorry do not know what services they were actually running.

driver9000

Established Member
This service should be a refurbished Northern 153 (as they were partly sponsored by SYTPE) but more often than not an un-refurbished ex FNW 153 will turn up instead.

See plenty of the 'Travel South Yorkshire' 153s in the NW but hardly ever see an ex-FNW one :|

Thank you for that. Is Monday to friday, weekends or both.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
When I went from Worksop to Retford once I was hoping it would be a 153 unit but it wasn't. It was a s****y 142 on the way and coming back was a 144.

WillPS

Established Member
Thank you for that. Is Monday to friday, weekends or both.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
When I went from Worksop to Retford once I was hoping it would be a 153 unit but it wasn't. It was a s****y 142 on the way and coming back was a 144.
Nearly always the case, except at weekends when 158s take over as the service continues past Sheffield to Adwick. I once had a pair of 153s, and on another occasion a 153 strengthened a 158 on a Saturday evening.

I'm not too sure about Saturdays I'm afraid, but it's definitely a Monday to Friday working.

I still want to have a ride in a Northern Rail Class 153 single car unit. They mainly operate elsewhere. The nearest I get to is any South Yorkshire route or between Worksop and Lincoln.

I have always really wanted to ride in one since I saw the new livery and interiors of the unit.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I wondered why so many 155s were converted.
At the time Regional Railways used them to replace the majority of their remaining first generation DMUs, such as bubble cars on the Cornish branches, 2-car 108s on the Central Wales and Cumbrian Coast lines, 2-car 101s in East Anglia, etc. When introduced there were a lot of reliability issues with the Class 155 units, most notably the door problems (they wouldn't stay closed on the move!). Rebuilding was an effective way to remove to replace the first generation units on rural services, supported by cascaded 156s and 150/2s as the 158s were introduced. Of course, since privatissation many routes they were used on now support 2-car services again, so a lot of 153s are used to strengthen services now to 3-cars.

I was always surprised no 153s were allocated to Scotland, e.g. to have operate services to say Thurso and Wick, dividing on route. I'm sure the Scots are glad they never were though!

WillPS

Established Member
They're not at all bad when they're not busy. From a passenger point of view, they're pretty much the same as 156s; they've been refurbished to very similar standards and I'd imagine that once EMT has completed their fleet refurbishment the differences will be slight.

I still want to have a ride in a Northern Rail Class 153 single car unit. They mainly operate elsewhere. The nearest I get to is any South Yorkshire route or between Worksop and Lincoln.

I have always really wanted to ride in one since I saw the new livery and interiors of the unit.
The 153 diagram between Worksop and Lincoln is as follows:
Worksop 10:13
Lincoln 11:06

Lincoln 11:27
Worksop 12:14

I've seen this diagram almost every week day since the beginning of September and only once it has been replaced by a different class of unit.
Good luck trying to find one of the refurbished ones though, from the observations I've read lately, the majority of them are up in Cumbria at the minute.

HTH

I might try that out either from Worksop to Retford on the time that Class 153 or go from Worksop to Sheffield.

I might write to Northern rail about the Class 153 units on the South Yorkshire routes.

Most single unit 153 are run on the Ponty shuttle service (Leeds to wakefield Kirkgate) Not sure as to the times tho/ other than that as stated by someone else, they only run attached to other stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.