• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norhern Rail Class 153

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
And very occasionally 4x 153, seen on one Sunday in the summer (using the term very loosely).

To answer poshbakerloo, a 2x153 arrives into Westbury every weekday night at 1927 splits and the front one carries on to Southampton at 1940.

If he is looking for daigrammed services.

0803 Lincoln - Peterborough Monday - Friday as far as Sleaford, front car continues to Peterborough rear unit forms train to Doncaster.

1518? Peterborough - Lincoln between Sleaford and Lincoln.

Vulcan

My train from Bradford Interchange to Huddersfield to uni is usually a 155, but sometimes it's a 155 and a 153. Sometimes its even 2 class 153s pretending to be a proper train. A few weeks ago there was a regular occurance of three 153s in multiple on the Manchester Vic train. It's interesting to see the differences between the original cab and the grafted on cab when they are coupled together like that.

Established Member
What service is this? Just asking as most of the time I see them they are 158s.

Vulcan

What service is this? Just asking as most of the time I see them they are 158s.

I catch the 0745 from Bradford in the morning, which is usually a 155. When i'm travelling back it tends to differ depending on the time of day - mid day they seem to be either 155/153/142 and later into the evening the 3 car 158s come out, ultimate luxury!

Established Member
Probably been there at funny times of day, but always thought they were 158s. Either that or I need to change my glasses. Always a bit of a change when a 158 turns up, until they are just as rammed as a 142/4.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I was quite impressed and plesantly surprised on Saturday to find that my Normanton - Leeds Pacer had been strengthened by a 153, presumably to cope with xmas shoppers. No prizes for guessing which carriage I was in ! Full marks to Northern.

Established Member
Wonder if this means that Morpeth - MetroCentre and Newcastle - Middlesbrough services are doubling up on the 142s. Might be a good time for a bash next week when uni finishes.

I will going from Derby to Worksop via this Monday coming. I will catch the 09:44 train from Sheffield to Lincoln. Is that the 08:10 Scunthrope to Lincoln via Sheffield?. Is the Class 153 single car unit booked?. I really want to travel on a Northern Rail Class 153 single car unit.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I will going from Derby to Worksop via this Monday coming. I will catch the 09:44 train from Sheffield to Lincoln. Is that the 08:10 Scunthrope to Lincoln via Sheffield?. Is the Class 153 single car unit booked?. I really want to travel on a Northern Rail Class 153 single car unit.

I don't know; from memory there is one diagram on the Scunthorpe - Sheffield - Lincoln - Sheffield - Adwick - Sheffield - Scunthorpe service that is 153 with the rest being (mainly) Pacer operated.

Tomnick

Established Member
The 0810 Scunthorpe - Lincoln is formed of the unit returning from the previous day's Cleethorpes - Barton shuttle, so should be guaranteed a 153. I've known it be swapped for another unit at Sheffield in the past though - presumably if the unit needs fuel, having been stuck out at Cleethorpes for two nights (or more, following a weekend?). I suspect that doesn't happen too often though!

tbtc

Veteran Member
I didn't realise they left a 153 overnight there - since TPE run (ran?) the first Barton of the day with a 185, I thought that must be because there were no Northern units in that neck of the woods at that time of the morning...

Tomnick

Established Member
At least a couple of years ago, and I doubt there'd have been any significant changes since then, the Barton units arrived at Cleethorpes from Doncaster (or Sheffield?) early in the morning, in good time to work the second (0700?) Barton service. Clearly, even if it was there in time to work the 0600, it wouldn't then be able to work the 0700!

The Doncaster (or Sheffield, can't remember which!) driver took the other unit ECS to Scunthorpe, to immediately form the 0810 from there.

Lets hope the 153 operates from Sheffield to Worksop on Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope not to end up on a s****y Class 142 or 144. If it is another sprinter unit I'm alright.

The Northern rail units that I travelled on are:
Class 142 from Sheffield to New Mills/Manchester, Manchester to Rochdale and Worksop to Retford (Hate),
Class 144 from Retford to Lincoln (Hate),
Class 150 units from Sheffield to New Mills/Manchester, New Mills to Buxton and Manchester Victoria to Bolton,
Class 156 units from Sheffield to New Mills, Manchester/New Mills to Buxton and Bolton to Manchester Piccadilly
Class 158 from Lincoln Central to Gainsborough Lea Road and Nottingham to Sheffield
Class 323 from Manchester to Glossop,

Established Member
Why do you like 153s so much? Have to say I don't mind them but would prefer a 142 anyday.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I have to agree with 142094, I'd rather travel on a 142 strangely enough, on the basis that the Pacers have a more "open" saloon with better windows that let more light in (So it seems, do they use the same windows though, both being Leyland products?). 153s always seem claustrophobic, cramped and dark to me. But for ride quality, PLEASE give me a 153!!

Ivo

Established Member
I have to agree with 142094, I'd rather travel on a 142 strangely enough, on the basis that the Pacers have a more "open" saloon with better windows that let more light in (So it seems, do they use the same windows though, both being Leyland products?). 153s always seem claustrophobic, cramped and dark to me. But for ride quality, PLEASE give me a 153!!

153s are useless at everything except for transporting people from A to B in a comfortable manner (which is their primary objective, to be fair). Pacers can't even manage that unless the line has bends no tighter than about a mile in radius.

Lampshade

Established Member

I find the open saloon creates a cold, empty environment on a 142, although it depends on the seating configuration and the weather - I'd rather travel on an ex-ATN 142 in the summer than an ex-FNW 142 still with bus bench seats in the winter. I've not travelled on a 153 but I've travelled on a 155 which is pretty much the same; apart from having very little legroom I found it to be very nearly as good as a 156.

Ivo

Established Member
I find the open saloon creates a cold, empty environment on a 142, although it depends on the seating configuration. I've not travelled on a 153 but I've travelled on a 155 which is pretty much the same; apart from having very little legroom I found it to be very nearly as good as a 156.

156s are good now? Since when, last week? :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Damn, (as my sig would suggest) I've been on too many different units...!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I quite like the 153's. I know they sometimes have to a few too many seats crammed in, but they do at least feel like a finished train furniture/ambience wise. Also, they have quite a few table seats which automatically moves them up the food chain a bit in my opinion.

Lampshade

Established Member
156s are good now? Since when, last week? :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Damn, (as my sig would suggest) I've been on too many different units...!

Well... I guess they're good compared to the rest of the Northern fleet :p

Established Member
Nah, can't say I like them, too claustrophobic for me even when empty. Add on a few passengers and it just gets worse.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I must admit, on my morning commute when I have the choice between a 153 and a 150, I tend to go for the 150 since they are easier to get on and off and a bit less claustrophobic.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I think the way 153s are layed out tend to make them feel longer and narrower than other DMUs. Some of it's actually true, at 2.7m they are narrow compared to a 150 (2.82m) or a 142 (2.8m), although the same width as a 156 or the other Pacers. Length wise too they are a bit longer than a 156, and a few m longer than a 150 car, and actually not a massive lot longer than a whole 2 car Pacer. There are also things that make them seem longer than they are. The large number of narrow windows really makes them seem longer. 2+2 seating also tends to make trains seem longer and narrower, wheras 3+2 seating makes them seen shorter and wider.

The main problem with 153s, beyond their use on unsuitable routes (I've had one from Skegness to Nottingham on a Saturday afternoon, from Norwich to Yarmouth on a Saturday morning, from Leicester to Birmingham on a weekday morning, and from Doncaster to Sheffield after the works open day) is their single engine (any engine or transmission problems and it's going nowhere unassisted, unlike other DMUs which all have at least one more engine and transmission to limp home on), and their weight. The weight issue is down to adding the second cab. A 155 weights 78t, a pair of 153s weights 82.4t, 4.4t more. Does make them the most sluggish of the Sprinters, made worse when standing in for a proper train as the 153 is probably carrying the same weight of passengers that would normally be handled by a 2 car unit (with 2 engines).

Got to remember too, a single 153 isn't a train, as a single vehicle is never a train. They are a rail vehicle, railcar or unit, but not train (and not multiple unit, as there is nothing multiple about them). Same for the single car 1st generation units too.

Status
Not open for further replies.