• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norhern Rail Class 153

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliwag

153s in regular use on the half hourly Maritime line...Truro-Falmouth, with a third parked at the South end of Truro. I rather like them on that route.

Northern seems to use "three" coupled together on the Leeds/Harrogate/Knaresborough shuttle, which aside from capacity issues would seem to be a bit of a wasted resource...comfortable though they are.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It's usually a 2 car 150 with a 153 on the end for the Harrogate line services, and usually used on the peak time Harrogate - York - Leeds morning service and then the ones from Leeds during the evening. Probably not worth the hassle of splitting them up during the day and they putting them back together again later on.

Also gives some operational flexibility - the 08.27 York - Leeds is booked for a 142 coming off a Selby - York service, but once when this was caped, it would have been easy to just cancel the 08.27 and get eveyone on the TPE (apart from those at Micklefield, East Garforth and Cross Gates of course), but the 153 was decoupled from the 150, sent down to Holgate sidings, reversed and then worked the 08.27. Even though it was packed, at least those people at the above 3 stations got to work on time.

Established Member
Lots of seats, but 150s are not much use on Huddersfield - Man Vic services. Should have a 158 at least on that.

Established Member
Capacity - you see the 158s empty on some services when they would be better on Huddersfield - Man Vic. Weekends seem to be the worst time, but then again I've seen some daytime weekday services which are rammed as well.

I might try again catching the 09:44 train from Sheffield to Worksop and make sure it is a Northern Class 153 unit because when I planned to go, my train from Derby to Sheffield was delayed and I missed it which was a blow and I had catch 10:44 train from Sheffield to Worksop on Class 144 which I really hated,

Please give me a Class 153 single car unit from Sheffield to Worksop

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Do you mean a 158 is needed for capacity or for speed on the "all stops" service?

Actually, I'd say a 158 is ideal for that route in terms of passenger comfort as well (although to be honest a 156 would be fine as well). Some of the journeys involved are a bit long for a 150.

On the Monday to Friday 09:44 Sheffield to Lincoln service is the service still booked for the Class 153 single carriage unit as I'm thinking of still going on it? I tried it before but I missed that train as my train from Derby to Sheffield was delayed and I had to go on a 144 unit which I hated.

Status
Not open for further replies.