• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern franchise awarded to Arriva.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

On Moderation
Seems obvious to me that the 'new DMUs' will be cascaded 185s, (maybe with first class retained) to be used on the more long distance Northern Connect routes. I'm guessing an order for new three-car class 172s will be placed and these will be used on the busier and more commuter-like NC routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ah I see. Guessing Cottingley is served by a train from Brighouse instead?
Yes, the LDS-BGH-MCV calls in both directions.
Might get more people as the TPE service will offer better connections to long distance services.

It might also attract more walkers to Greenfield and Marsden.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

There will be platform lengthening to allow longer trains to stop at smaller stations between Manchester and Leeds.

More people on the ale trail? That's just what we need! :roll:

Longer platforms have been promised for Slaithwaite, Deighton and Marsden for years... They need to get a wiggle on! Cottingley got the extensions rushed through as a priority because a large number of the Victoria services are 3x23m, and the removal of the Huddersfield stopper would mean a good number of the scheduled calls would have to be missed due to being too long for the platform.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Seems obvious to me that the 'new DMUs' will be cascaded 185s, (maybe with first class retained) to be used on the more long distance Northern Connect routes. I'm guessing an order for new three-car class 172s will be placed and these will be used on the busier and more commuter-like NC routes.

So you're saying the 281 brand new carriages will all be electric then and DfT have accepted that despite it not meeting the requirement for a minimum of 120 new self-powered vehicles?

Established Member

Actually I don't think it's that clear cut, especially when there are routes (e.g. Leeds > Nottingham) where the interactive map on the DfT website suggests there will be 'brand new' trains, whereas other routes e.g. Barrow-in-Furness > Manchester will have 'new' trains'. No one is ruling out the possibility that some of the Northern Connect services will use 185s but it hasn't been explicitly mentioned anywhere.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Longer platforms have been promised for Slaithwaite, Deighton and Marsden for years... They need to get a wiggle on! Cottingley got the extensions rushed through as a priority because a large number of the Victoria services are 3x23m, and the removal of the Huddersfield stopper would mean a good number of the scheduled calls would have to be missed due to being too long for the platform.

Platforms long enough to take 4 car 170s was planned but never happened due to the semi-fasts being put back until December 17 (from December 16) and the 170s being nabbed by Chiltern.

Philip

On Moderation
So you're saying the 281 brand new carriages will all be electric then and DfT have accepted that despite it not meeting the requirement for a minimum of 120 new self-powered vehicles?

Read the post again - I said a mixture of 185s and new build class 172s. The number of cascaded 185s compared to new build diesel units is anyone's guess.

Where else will 185s go once the new TPE trains are rolled out?

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
and new build class 172s

Won't be 172s as they no longer meet the latest regulations for new diesel trains.

Where else will 185s go once the new TPE trains are rolled out?

Liverpool to Norwich or Manchester to North Wales are both other possibilities without moving them from their current Ardwick base.

Mr Mean

Yes, the LDS-BGH-MCV calls in both directions.

More people on the ale trail? That's just what we need! :roll:

Looking at the ITT's for Northern and TPE the minimum calling requirements for Mirfield are:

1 x hourly Northern Huddersfield to Castleford via Wakefield

1 x hourly Northern Manchester Victoria (Southport) to Leeds via Brighouse

Between 07:00 and 21:59 at Leeds, services shall be timed to provide, alongside the TransPennine Express franchisee's services, a maximum interval of 40 minutes between successive departures from Mirfield.

This service is listed to call at Cottingley, Morley, Dewsbury and 2 peak morning and evening Ravensthorpe. No calls at Batley specified.

1 x hourly TPE service to/from Leeds

Eighteen services departing from Leeds to Mirfield shall also call at Dewsbury. Between 07:00 and 21:59 at Leeds, these services shall be timed to provide, alongside the Northern franchisee's services, a maximum interval of 40 minutes between sucessive departures from Leeds to Mirfield.

The semi fast TPE services have equal number of hourly calls at all stations Leeds to Huddersfield except Cottingley that has limited peak service and Batley which is served by both semi-fasts.

Sundays also see an hourly TPE service introduced for stations between Hudds and Leeds (not including Ravensthorpe and Deighton who have a reduced level of service) as opposed to the current Northern 2 hourly pattern.

The above are the MINIMUM requirements for the franchise for the Mirfield area from 2017. This does not preclude either Northern / TPE operating more services and stopping at more stations. The data can be found by googling northern invitation to tender and then looking at the excel sheets linked to within the Govt website.

Philip

On Moderation
Won't be 172s as they no longer meet the latest regulations for new diesel trains.

Liverpool to Norwich or Manchester to North Wales are both other possibilities without moving them from their current Ardwick base.

The latter is served with 175s so unlikely.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Why can't they be 172s with a different engine that does meet the spec? An engine change doesn't require a class number change.

Body work and crash structure wise, if they can still build a 387, they should still be able to build a 172?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The above are the MINIMUM requirements for the franchise for the Mirfield area from 2017. This does not preclude either Northern / TPE operating more services and stopping at more stations. The data can be found by googling northern invitation to tender and then looking at the excel sheets linked to within the Govt website.

Indeed. Although, operators can only provide additional services from stations if they can find a path for an additional service or one for a service to provide more calls.

BR67

Actually I don't think it's that clear cut, especially when there are routes (e.g. Leeds > Nottingham) where the interactive map on the DfT website suggests there will be 'brand new' trains, whereas other routes e.g. Barrow-in-Furness > Manchester will have 'new' trains'. No one is ruling out the possibility that some of the Northern Connect services will use 185s but it hasn't been explicitly mentioned anywhere.

If Northern use Class 185s that wouldn't meet the ITT requirements (unless they've won with a non-compliant bid). See page 95.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...file/407802/northern-invitation-to-tender.pdf

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm more interesting in page 96:

Electric multiple units that are currently leased by a relevant operator other than
the current TPE and Northern Franchisees but that are not of Class 442

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Arriva won't have known what First was planning though.

No, but DfT will, and Arriva may have made a compliant proposal with a non-compliant option which was then selected due to what DfT knew about First's bid, for instance Arriva may have proposed additional brand new DMUs but a cheaper option of using 185s, or perhaps two options - one with shorter new DMUs throughout, one with longer new DMUs plus 185s.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
No, but DfT will, and Arriva may have made a compliant proposal with a non-compliant option which was then selected due to what DfT knew about First's bid, for instance Arriva may have proposed additional brand new DMUs but a cheaper option of using 185s, or perhaps two options - one with shorter new DMUs throughout, one with longer new DMUs plus 185s.

There were reports last time Connex originally put in a better bid than First/Kelios for TPE but the SRA decided to give First/Kelios some 'constructive feedback' on their bid to make it better (possibly because of Connex screwing up South Central) and then they eventually won but the bidding process is different now.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's no reason Northern can't use 185s released from TPE, but these can't be substitutes for the specified new build (with the caveats in the last few posts).

Last edited:

FordFocus

Why can't they be 172s with a different engine that does meet the spec? An engine change doesn't require a class number change.

Body work and crash structure wise, if they can still build a 387, they should still be able to build a 172?

Can see an Aventra design appearing, possibly with a large diesel engine that meets emissions similar to the 801s and an unpowered trailer. Maybe a bit heavy though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Can see an Aventra design appearing, possibly with a large diesel engine that meets emissions similar to the 801s and an unpowered trailer. Maybe a bit heavy though.

I don't see why they would do that, when two or three smaller ones will be easier to fit.

The thing that was an issue was locomotives, if I recall, not DMUs.

geoffk

Established Member
Anyone know if the re-mapping of TPE and Northern will take place on Day 1 in April?

Barton-on-Humber branch to EMT
Mcr Airport - Blackpool/Barrow/Windermere TPE to Northern.

I understand that a 153 will transfer to EMT for the Barton service but how will Northern resource the others? The six 156s being hired to TPE will return but these operate as three six-car trains and four are needed just for Blackpool.

TPE will need all its 185s if the remaining 170s go south then.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Anyone know if the re-mapping of TPE and Northern will take place on Day 1 in April?
I understand that a 153 will transfer to EMT for the Barton service but how will Northern resource the others? The six 156s being hired to TPE will return but these operate as three six-car trains and four are needed just for Blackpool.

I would expect train and station staff, plus a sub-fleet of 185s, would transfer to Northern to cover the transferred north west services.
Services would then carry on as normal under a different TOC banner.
Finding replacements for TPE's 4x170s is a different problem.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Liverpool to Norwich.

Hopefully not as a single three car unit !

I'd expect the 185's to be retained on the cross Pennine routes they were designed for, cascading to EMT makes some sense in terms of giving a first class service between Norwich and Liverpool, but keeping them on the Leeds-Huddersfield-Manchester line also makes sense in terms of Northern units and keeping pace with the retained TPE 185's - unless of course the 185's are completely displaced on this route for the five car 125mph units.

lejog

Established Member
Arriva won't have known what First was planning though.

Having worked on major bids to government and the private sector, typically after flogging yourself to death preparing your proposal, you get a period three or four weeks where you can twiddle your thumbs/stay in bed/go on holiday (as appropriate). And then the "what if? period starts, questions from the clients start seeping through, like what if we can get a fleet of 185s for you? I know the ITT said x, but what if we say y? or z?. Then if the client likes your bid you will be invited to submit a new cost based on a sometimes very different service to that they originally asked for in the ITT (possibly several variants and iterations of this), before a period of intense negotiation in which both parties can tear up previous strongly held positions in order to thrash out a price and agree a contract.

If the DfT saw a TPE bid that frees up 185s, they would soon be on to all Northern bidders remaining in the competition asking what if?

It would be a mistake to assume that anything specified in an ITT necessarily passes through to the contract, what the contract specifies is what gets delivered.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Doesn't ever usually happen on day 1 like that. Route swaps and stuff usually coincide with a main timetable change. It has already been said that the Barton service will not transfer to EMT until that franchise is re-let in 2017.

Chris125

Established Member
Surprised the D Trains hadn't been mentioned yet. Considering they're an "Arriva innovation", they will surely be used, at least for trials?

I can't recall Arriva having anything to do with Vivarail and the 230s.

Status
Not open for further replies.