• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Drivers - Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emilali

Any external candidates on here been offered an interview yet? I am aware that internals are to be interviewed in the next few weeks but just wondering if any externals are.

Lumpa6259

got my rejection email this afternoon

That’s rubbish news pal. Keep going it will come eventually. Was it a tough interview did you feel you had done ok? We’re they standard questions or some low ballers?

Yeah quite a few internals have been offered interviews

I am new to this.... is that how it generally works then that they look at internal staff initially? Does anyone know how many actual openvacancies there are?

SVDW995

Yes Leeds some strange questions which didn’t seem relevant to the role but answered them the best I could

I’m sorry too, that sucks. For what it’s worth, I thought my interview questions were odd too, and someone else felt like it was more for a management role rather than driver.

Like others have said, keep at it, the forum is littered with people saying it’s take 5/6 times before being successful.

GeordieO

Is it usual for them to interview internal candidates before externals?
It seems to be the case that internals get the first shot at interview and hearing anything back from Northern? I'm external and still waiting to hear back...

Lumpa6259

Is it usual for them to interview internal candidates before externals?
It seems to be the case that internals get the first shot at interview and hearing anything back from Northern? I'm external and still waiting to hear back...

Yeah I’m in same boat. Not sure when will hear

Lumpa6259

Has anyone been invited to begin training at the end of the month?
Still not heard from original application for Leeds roles in September. I know a few have heard so don’t know how the process works seems some are further forward than others.

JonnyBoxer

Still not heard anything since 4 October 2020 e-mail - many applicants, we’ll be in touch etc! I am an external applicant. Not completed any tests for any other operator.

I've just almost forgotten about it for the time being, apart from checking in here a couple of time a week and of course my own e-mail.

Lumpa6259

As far as I’m aware they haven’t even done the interviews for this yet
Still not heard anything since 4 October 2020 e-mail - many applicants, we’ll be in touch etc! I am an external applicant. Not completed any tests for any other operator.

I've just almost forgotten about it for the time being, apart from checking in here a couple of time a week and of course my own e-mail.

Yeah I’m in the same boat. I think from reading on here the whole process can take months and it’s just a waiting game as they are so popular. The only frustrating thing for me is the fact there seem to be some people that have had interviews both internal and external candidates....I don’t understand this aspect?

I have had two email, the initial auto response when I sent my application then one saying my app was under consider and being screened.

Not had one saying “many applicants, we will be in touch etc”.

Last edited:

JonnyBoxer

Yeah I’m in the same boat. I think from reading on here the whole process can take months and it’s just a waiting game as they are so popular. The only frustrating thing for me is the fact there seem to be some people that have had interviews both internal and external candidates....I don’t understand this aspect?

I have had two email, the initial auto response when I sent my application then one saying my app was under consider and being screened.

Thank you for applying for the above role.

We appreciate your patience whilst your application is being considered. There was a lot of interest in the roles, and it is taking us a little longer than expected to review each application.

Rest assured, we will be back in contact as soon as we have an update for you.

We would like to thank you again for your interest in the role and we’ll be back in touch as soon as we can.

Kind regards

The Northern Recruitment Team

Lumpa6259

I keep practicing the Bourdon and I might not even get to that stage!!!! I’m not sure whether this would get me a pass or if too many mistakes (One of the reds was a finger slip and you can’t press again to remove)

Attachments

• 5B4E9935-EB8C-4470-997A-DF1C850579CA.png
    5B4E9935-EB8C-4470-997A-DF1C850579CA.png
    741.4 KB · Views: 48
  • C764D1DD-3782-4048-923A-A81EEEE2124B.png
    C764D1DD-3782-4048-923A-A81EEEE2124B.png
    755.3 KB · Views: 35
  • B4C92204-D4F3-499A-BA00-577143C47F61.png
    B4C92204-D4F3-499A-BA00-577143C47F61.png
    729.7 KB · Views: 24
  • A7C8EA26-168A-4612-B6D1-F102C86F9307.png
    A7C8EA26-168A-4612-B6D1-F102C86F9307.png
    753.7 KB · Views: 23
  • EC5E4B94-01EF-44B2-A732-4B675E44A63B.png
    EC5E4B94-01EF-44B2-A732-4B675E44A63B.png
    759.7 KB · Views: 35
  • B44E9929-3ECA-46EA-85C8-478CFE020CC1.png
    B44E9929-3ECA-46EA-85C8-478CFE020CC1.png
    711.9 KB · Views: 44

heedfan

I keep practicing the Bourdon and I might not even get to that stage!!!! I’m not sure whether this would get me a pass or if too many mistakes (One of the reds was a finger slip and you can’t press again to remove)

You are missing far too many groups of four. Slow down so you do it without missing any. Then once your accuracy has improved you can try to increase the speed.

You need to aim for as close to zero mistakes as you possibly can.

Edit: you also need to be consistent across each test consecutively. Making more mistakes towards the end (eg when you are fatigued or rushing) which you seem to have done here is a problem also.

Lumpa6259

You are missing far too many groups of four. Slow down so you do it without missing any. Then once your accuracy has improved you can try to increase the speed.

You need to aim for as close to zero mistakes as you possibly can.

Edit: you also need to be consistent across each test consecutively. Making more mistakes towards the end (eg when you are fatigued or rushing) which you seem to have done here is a problem also.

Thank you. I shall try and slow down a bit and give it another go.

Chris_1892

Thank you. I shall try and slow down a bit and give it another go.
Hi Lumpa,

I was in the exact same boat with the Group Bourdon but took this in July and passed. It's a matter of speed v accuracy so make sure you slow down and take your time but not a case of doing 1 or 2 lines per page. You normally have to go through 10 pages at 1 minute increments so make sure you average the same on all 10 pages and not get like 13 lines on page 1 and 2 and then 8 on 3 and 4 etc.

All I can say about the psychometrics is practice practice practice. Hopefully we will start to hear back soon about the Northern Jobs.

Lumpa6259

Hi Lumpa,

I was in the exact same boat with the Group Bourdon but took this in July and passed. It's a matter of speed v accuracy so make sure you slow down and take your time but not a case of doing 1 or 2 lines per page. You normally have to go through 10 pages at 1 minute increments so make sure you average the same on all 10 pages and not get like 13 lines on page 1 and 2 and then 8 on 3 and 4 etc.

All I can say about the psychometrics is practice practice practice. Hopefully we will start to hear back soon about the Northern Jobs.

Hi Chris, Thank you.... yeah I have had another few goes on my iPad and the last one I was doing around 10 lines and made 2 omissions across all 5 pages. I’ve also been advised the paper tests are a bit easier so will need to get some printed out and practice more.

I also worry about the image test where it flashes for a second. I have looked at a couple on YouTube and I tend to focus on one thin rather than seeing multiple things on the image. Getting better at that though.

although never done it, feel relatively confident about the joystick one as I am normally quite good at that... no guarantees though!!

Chris_1892

Hi Chris, Thank you.... yeah I have had another few goes on my iPad and the last one I was doing around 10 lines and made 2 omissions across all 5 pages. I’ve also been advised the paper tests are a bit easier so will need to get some printed out and practice more.

I also worry about the image test where it flashes for a second. I have looked at a couple on YouTube and I tend to focus on one thin rather than seeing multiple things on the image. Getting better at that though.

although never done it, feel relatively confident about the joystick one as I am normally quite good at that... no guarantees though!!
That's excellent, the more you practice it the better you will get, I was doing it every day for about 6 weeks on the lead up to my psychometrics. I found it so much easier on paper than on computer and would always be paper based on your actual psychs.

The AVAVT (Image Test) is just making sure you don't second guess and you click what you exactly see in the photo. Try and take a wider look at things but also if you are not sure you saw something, don't click that you saw it. It will only ask you to look for 5 things in the psychometrics aswel (From memory I think it was Car/Van, Bike, Traffic lights, Signs, People) and then would drop an occasional how many people did you see. It's not for everyone this but I bought some tests from a 'how2become' website and they really did help me. I passed all bar the WAVF test which was the vigilance tests. Grey square in the middle of the screen for 30 minutes flashing grey and when it turns black you have to hit the green button. My eyes just kept playing tricks on me and looked darker at certain intervals but have learnt a lot from that going into a re-test when I next re-apply.

As we are now over 2 months since applying, has anybody heard anything more? Still showing “application under consideration” here.

Multiple internal candidates were interviewed in the last two weeks. Quite a few are now being sent for their psychometrics.

DMCtoon

As we are now over 2 months since applying, has anybody heard anything more? Still showing “application under consideration” here.

Multiple internal candidates were interviewed in the last two weeks. Quite a few are now being sent for their psychometrics.
Wouldn't surprise me if they're doing internals first, then just outright reject all external applicants if they get what they need. Would be a bit of an insult to everyone who makes the effort to apply. An LNER apprentice driver role in Newcastle only closed a couple of weeks ago. I've already progressed through online tests and had a recorded video interview.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.