• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superkev

Established Member
Strange to have a weekend with no moves too and from works as Northerns refurb program comes to an end.
Re the above mentioned expected 156s and associated 153 withdrawal perhaps a new thread.
K

OTRail

I can see it being the full 26 for extra six carriage services but who knows - only time will tell with that one.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Leeds area folk won't want non air-conditioned trains so whenever the 333s leave they'll have to be replaced with 331s or a new build.

superkev

Established Member
Strange to have a weekend with no moves too and from works as Northerns refurb program comes to an end.
Re the above mentioned expected 156s and associated 153 withdrawal perhaps a new thread.
K
I note someone has started a dedicated thread the move of EMR 156s to Northern.
K

4REP

Are we jumping the gun here a little?
Has it been confirmed that 333s are being replaced by 331s?

OTRail

Are we jumping the gun here a little?
Has it been confirmed that 333s are being replaced by 331s?
No it hasn’t - it’s not even confirmed that Northern are ordering more, they just said it would be preferable if they did to avoid coupling issues

superkev

Established Member

Dan15812

Both of the units you're thinking of (150275 and 155346) are based at Neville Hill AFAIK so it wouldn't be those.
Thanks, you probably know more than me.
Although, I do hope both 150275 and 155346 get their treatment to bring them in line to the rest of the uniform fleet.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Both of the units you're thinking of (150275 and 155346) are based at Neville Hill AFAIK so it wouldn't be those.
Which 150/2s are the Newton based ones? I remember hearing after refurbishment all 150/1s would go to NH and the 150/2s would be split between NH and NL, with more at the latter.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Which 150/2s are the Newton based ones? I remember hearing after refurbishment all 150/1s would go to NH and the 150/2s would be split between NH and NL, with more at the latter.
I believe that 209, 220 and 223-226 are the 150/2s based at Newton Heath, with both the /0s and all the /1s obviously being based there as well.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I believe that 209, 220 and 223-226 are the 150/2s based at Newton Heath, with both the /0s and all the /1s obviously being based there as well.
Thanks.
I have to say, the lack of standardisation with this refurbishment is poor. It's a lottery whether one will find Ashbourne or Chapman seats in the 150s, Chapman, Fainsa or Richmond seats in the 156, and some 158s have white/cream walls instead of black. The three carriage 158s have a totally different PIS and retain the original seats. Perhaps its expecting too much for them to change the seats, but it's poor in my opinion.

skyhigh

Established Member
Thanks.
I have to say, the lack of standardisation with this refurbishment is poor. It's a lottery whether one will find Ashbourne or Chapman seats in the 150s, Chapman, Fainsa or Richmond seats in the 156, and some 158s have white/cream walls instead of black. The three carriage 158s have a totally different PIS and retain the original seats. Perhaps its expecting too much for them to change the seats, but it's poor in my opinion.
Pedantic I know, but it's navy, not black.

The 158s will all eventually be standardised to the same wall colours. The 3 car 158s have the same PIS system, just a different model of screen in the saloon - they all show identical information.

I'm not sure an average passenger will really care about the different seating types - it would be nice from a neatness point of view if they all had the same seating, but I can't see anyone deciding to pay for all new seats in a 150.

superkev

Established Member
Thanks.
I have to say, the lack of standardisation with this refurbishment is poor. It's a lottery whether one will find Ashbourne or Chapman seats in the 150s, Chapman, Fainsa or Richmond seats in the 156, and some 158s have white/cream walls instead of black. The three carriage 158s have a totally different PIS and retain the original seats. Perhaps its expecting too much for them to change the seats, but it's poor in my opinion]
Looking back to the start of this thread the first unit went into works in April 2016 almost 5 years ago.
Not sure how often they redecorate unit but perhaps they will start again soon.
Kev

Dan15812

I presume the cream walls on the 2 (3 car 158's) will be painted navy when they get the digital mods done whenever that will be?