• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
I hate to sound pessimistic (really I do!) but I fear where this is heading. A week ago lockdown was out of the question; seemingly that is no longer the case. Once "Plan B" has proven to be a waste of time (which it will) then what?

Whatever they feel like, until or unless we properly push back.

This isn't about 'controlling the spread of a virus', and hasn't been for quite some time, and that should be increasingly obvious now to most. Clearly the state of the economy is no longer relevant either, despite that arguably being the main task of the government (apart from defence) - so what is driving this and what is the aim?

If people are not getting big alarm bells going off in their brains yet, then I'm really not sure what will wake them up to the fact that there is something very, very wrong going on here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
Good point. Restrictions, even minor ones, are an acknowledgement that the spread needs to be controlled. Therefore, if they fail (which they will), it guarantees further restrictions; they can’t just say “oh well, we’ll leave it there” because it would be to acknowledge that the preceding restrictions were pointless.
This is why in particular neither of the major parties, but especially the Government, has changed tact and fully admitted the initial lockdowns and response overall were wrong. The fact £300bn+ was spent, so many plans cancelled or postponed, so many other health conditions ignored and/or exacerbated; all this will be nothing short of a humiliation and electoral suicide.

21C101

Established Member
This is good to hear.

The individuals who cry wolf over variants must surely now be so discredited, media outlets (other than the Grauniad & their ilk) will surely stop listening to them?

All evidence I've seen suggests the virus is evolving in a manner that is entirely consistent with expectations.

I wonder if & when the likes of Sturgeon will issue a U turn over Omicron.
You have to remember that over the years communists (in some cases openly card carrying communists) have got themselves into senior positions in all sorts of institutions.

They will set out to cause chaos and disruption to undermine society to bring about communist government. Covid is their best opportunity in a generation to to this.

big_rig

I’ll never forget last January when there were threats of making the lockdown more strict. Fortunately this never came to pass in England, but I could certainly see it based upon what other countries have done.
Quite. I remember Labour wanting mandatory masks at all times outside and the cessation of support bubbles etc, it was around mid-January wasn’t it? When there was the big panic about queues outside takeaway coffee shops. I think case growth increases slowed down a few days later from memory. There are certainly places in Europe which then, and still now were worse though. We have had a good time of it since July. Hopefully any walking back from current settings is temporary (one must be positive!).

DustyBin

Established Member
Whatever they feel like, until or unless we properly push back.

This isn't about 'controlling the spread of a virus', and hasn't been for quite some time, and that should be increasingly obvious now to most. Clearly the state of the economy is no longer relevant either, despite that arguably being the main task of the government (apart from defence) - so what is driving this and what is the aim?

If people are not getting big alarm bells going off in their brains yet, then I'm really not sure what will wake them up to the fact that there is something very, very wrong going on here.

This is the thing. Even if you can't bring yourself to consider the possibility that there may be something else going on for fear of being branded a "conspiracy theorist", it doesn't alter the simple fact that what is happening is very, very wrong. How anybody can argue otherwise is beyond me.

21C101

Established Member
A vote for Labour is a vote for lockdowns, restrictions and other measures. We must not forget that at the ballot box.
As is a vote for the Welsh or Scottish Nationalists, Sinn Fein, the Official (NI) unionist party the Green Party and, most astonishingly, the Lib Dems.

Unfortunately that means that whatever the Tories do they have electoral cover because the opposition constantly demand even more extreme measures.

DustyBin

Established Member
You have to remember that over the years communists (in some cases openly card carrying communists) have got themselves into senior positions in all sorts of institutions.

They will set out to cause chaos and disruption to undermine society to bring about communist government. Covid is their best opportunity in a generation to to this.

This is something else we've discussed previously. Several members of pretend SAGE have openly stated their political aims (Mitchie obviously but she's not alone) so you have to question the motives of anybody calling for lockdowns or other restrictions at this point. They may do very little to control the virus but they're great at dividing and damaging society and wrecking the economy. Coincidence? At this point I'm not so sure....

Towers

Established Member
Freshly posted government job ad for a "Covid Advisor" in Worcestershire.

From the ad:
"This role will involve:
  • Patrolling of high streets, shopping centres and other urban locations and tourist destinations within the county of Worcestershire to support members of the public to follow social distancing guidelines. The patrols will be targeted based on intelligence and the need for a visible presence in key areas.
  • Ensuring that any touch points, sanitising stations and information points are regularly cleaned and replenished by the appropriate businesses or organisations.
  • Directing pedestrians and assisting management of pedestrian one-way systems within shopping centres, high streets and key high foot fall areas.
  • Reminding members of the public to wear face coverings when entering areas where this is required.
  • Guiding pedestrians through exit and entry points and ensuring that signage is clearly displayed.
  • Checking and promoting visibility of COVID-19 Secure messaging."
Link:

Masks. Social distancing. Oh dear. None of it is going away any time soon, then :(

Class 33

Established Member
Social distancing can bugger right off. Can't have that nonsense coming back again and the severe effects it has on people and businesses

MikeWM

Established Member
This is the thing. Even if you can't bring yourself to consider the possibility that there may be something else going on for fear of being branded a "conspiracy theorist", it doesn't alter the simple fact that what is happening is very, very wrong. How anybody can argue otherwise is beyond me.

I wonder if it is because, in this country at least, such things have never quite happened before, or at least when they have they've been confined to small bits of the population that have been all-too-easy to ignore as we've got on with the hassles of our own 'normal' lives.

It is difficult to deal with the fact that those in power are not trying to do their best for the people they rule, or even are ambivalent towards them, but actually are treating them with contempt and malice - even when the evidence for such is staring you straight in the face. It makes for a much easier life to avoid confronting this, because once you do everything appears to be increasingly difficult. Ignorance is indeed bliss, much of the time.

In this case however, confront it we must. Things aren't going to improve otherwise, rather just get worse and worse.

adc82140

Established Member
Don't forget though. There is no more money for furlough. Therefore they can only introduce rules that don't have a material impact on the running of all businesses. That rules out social distancing.

brad465

Established Member
Don't forget though. There is no more money for furlough. Therefore they can only introduce rules that don't have a material impact on the running of all businesses. That rules out social distancing.
I wouldn't rule out them trying to bring it back, and certainly not ruling out calls being made, but there will be significant hostility in sections of Government, including Rishi Sunak most prominently, if they try.

kristiang85

Established Member
Freshly posted government job ad for a "Covid Advisor" in Worcestershire.

From the ad:
"This role will involve:
  • Patrolling of high streets, shopping centres and other urban locations and tourist destinations within the county of Worcestershire to support members of the public to follow social distancing guidelines. The patrols will be targeted based on intelligence and the need for a visible presence in key areas.
  • Ensuring that any touch points, sanitising stations and information points are regularly cleaned and replenished by the appropriate businesses or organisations.
  • Directing pedestrians and assisting management of pedestrian one-way systems within shopping centres, high streets and key high foot fall areas.
  • Reminding members of the public to wear face coverings when entering areas where this is required.
  • Guiding pedestrians through exit and entry points and ensuring that signage is clearly displayed.
  • Checking and promoting visibility of COVID-19 Secure messaging."
Link:

Masks. Social distancing. Oh dear. None of it is going away any time soon, then :(

Oh great, back to the bad old days of being yelled at by 'COVID marshals' for not wearing a mask in pretty much any area they deem to be worthy of masking up. No thanks.

DustyBin

Established Member

You would think, but I honestly believe anything is possible at this stage.

Jonny

Established Member
I for one won’t comply with any new restrictions, and neither should anyone else, none compliance is our exit out of this constant over reaction, we aren’t in March 2020 anymore.

How long is this supposed to go on for? I’m not giving up my Xmas, I’m not giving up seeing my family and friends, I’m not putting my life on hold ever again, not for this virus.

Im Done.
I know the feeling, I am just waiting for the "smoking gun" that this is really about vaccination; then I will have an ^out^ (enough of a defence to at least trigger the reasonable excuse clause and ideally bring the regulations down altogether) which I suspect might come soon. After all, if they are asking me to take precautions instead of a vaccine passport check that I am doomed to fail, I will read from it a requirement to be vaccinated.

A joke has been circulating, that the Omicron variant has killed fewer people than Alec Baldwin. It seems to carry some truth.

duncanp

Established Member
Same thoughts here. This loose-cannon absolutely is unscrupulous enough to do it, almost as a fit-of-rage reaction to the bad publicity.

He needs to go.

Yes, Boris, the men in grey suits will be knocking at your door very soon, if backbench Conservative MPs haven't got there and broken it down first.

The North Shropshire by election is a week tomorrow, and it is highly probable that the Conservatives will lose, as even loyal Tory voters will want to give Boris Johnson a bloody nose and a right royal kick up the backside.

adc82140

Established Member
Remind me, how many signatures do the 1922 committee need to trigger a leadership challenge?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Remind me, how many signatures do the 1922 committee need to trigger a leadership challenge?

Apparently they had received around 20 letters before the announcement about masks in shops and on transport a couple of weeks ago, so the timing of that tightening is in itself a bit suspect.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Meanwhile in Wales we've had leaflets through the door about how to "keep Wales safe this winter." Usual nonsense about taking tests twice a week, keep social distancing and meet up outside. If you're indoors, open windows! Are they for real? It's hard enough to heat the house anyway and gas prices are going through the roof. How much did the leaflet drop cost the taxpayer?

NorthKent1989

Established Member

Apparently they had received around 20 letters before the announcement about masks in shops and on transport a couple of weeks ago, so the timing of that tightening is in itself a bit suspect.

The only thing I’m concerned about a leadership challenge is that Boris could be replaced by someone worse and more authoritarian than he is.

dave87016

Established Member
Well this takes the biscuit obviously the vaccines were not “ our way back to normal “ as promised, just what exactly do new restrictions and restrictions on our freedoms achieve in relation to new variants ?

I ask this because every time now and forever when someone goes abroad there is always going to be a element of danger that a new variant will come back , I thought we was supposed to accept this and learn to live with it and hope new vaccines in the future offer greater protection from new variants imposing new restrictions is in some way conceding defeat and saying the vaccines aren’t enough to enable us live as normal possible

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
I wouldn't rule out them trying to bring it back, and certainly not ruling out calls being made, but there will be significant hostility in sections of Government, including Rishi Sunak most prominently, if they try.
Thinking about plan B poses two questions.
1) Wales already has all the plan B restrictions and they make no difference so what will England gain by having them?
2) Given that the Welsh rules aren't having the desired effect, what will they do next?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This is getting ridiculous now. Covid clearly isn’t going anywhere so surely it’s time to start adjusting to living normally alongside it, like we do with flu. Two jabs a year like the flu jab, and that’s it. Restrictions akin to that in a dystopian novel are not feasible permanently.

DustyBin

Established Member
Thinking about plan B poses two questions.
1) Wales already has all the plan B restrictions and they make no difference so what will England gain by having them?
2) Given that the Welsh rules aren't having the desired effect, what will they do next?

Regarding your second point I've just had this conversation with a colleague in Scotland. They're concerned that if England implement Plan B this will give the green light to the Scottish government to introduce further restrictions so as to be seen to be "doing more".... I can't say that I blame them for being worried!

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Nobody should comply.

And I’m going to come out and say this but what is the point in the vaccine if we’re no closer to getting our freedoms back than we were two years ago.

The vaccine hesitant were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.