• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

21C101

Established Member
Assuming that is true, Johnson should have kept his bl@@dy mouth shut until he knew the facts/ was happy to reveal them. My mother died a couple of years ago at the age of 96, they wrote stuff on the death certificate but her body was just worn out; it sounds like for this person it might have been the straw ... It might just as easily been a flu or heavy cold that caused it.
That is how propaganda has always been done in Britain. Unusual for direct lies, it is what they don't tell you that misleads.

I am undecided whether it has become less subtle in recent years due to the propagandists now being up against everyone being able to check their stories online against other sources, or because whether due to being able to check with other sources means I'm now aware of their game.

A good example of this is the 45 minutes from Saddams Weapons of Mass Destruction claim. They were right that part of the UK was within 45 minutes range of Saddams missiles, but didn't think it necessary to mention that the part of the UK that was was the British Sovereign Bases in Cyprus.

I think they had actually convinced themselves that he still had chemical weapons, whether said weapons if they still existed could have been put in a missile tip is another matter altogether.

I think in this case Boris and co are frightened they will be criticised for not locking down fast enough in 2020 in a future public enquiry and are now panicking and imposing all sorts of precautionary measures just in case all the evidence about Omnicron being mild is wrong, so they cover their rears.

A decent politician with a majority of 80 would have just appointed a retired Supreme Court Judge to lead the enquiry, namely Lord Justice Sumption, and metaphorically given the finger to opposition and press howls of protest. (Blair did just that with the Dr David Kelly inquiry)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
I thought that just about everyone had deleted the track and taste app or are we talking about something else?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I thought that just about everyone had deleted the track and taste app or are we talking about something else?
They can still call you if someone you know gives them your details after they test positive.
Or of course, if you know you have been in close contact with someone who has told you they have tested positive.

And no not everyone has deleted it. Personally I'd much rather know about it before I go potentially spreading it around (especially relevant as people visit elderly relatives over the next few weeks). Especially as the app isn't viewed legally as the same as a contact from track and trace themselves - I can use my own judgements based on the day the "close contact" took place to work out where it is likely to have been and what the risk is (e.g. if I was at a gig that day then maybe its worth doing some tests - if I was just popping to the shop then maybe not).

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

You can get contacted by track and trace for example if you had sat close to someone who tested positive on a plane (the passenger locator form has your phone number on it)

adc82140

Established Member
If someone gives your name and number they can call you. But that relys on you answering, and my voicemail isn't personalised. All they'll get from me us "welcome to Sky voicemail"

Jimini

Established Member
“The UKHSA said one patient – who was diagnosed in hospital, not before they were admitted – had died. No further information was given about the fatality.”

That’s the only reference I’ve seen so far (sorry, it’s the DM).

————————————

Boris Johnson reveals first Briton has died of Omicron

https://mol.im/a/10304283

adc82140

Established Member
You can get contacted by track and trace for example if you had sat close to someone who tested positive on a plane (the passenger locator form has your phone number on it)
That is if you haven't made a mistake with the number you give them. It is, of course illegal to knowingly give false details on the PLF, but fat fingers and phone screens are not a good combination.

nw1

Established Member

Happened to me. Thankfully I was vaccinated so no mandatory isolation, and could also report to them that the day 2 test had just come back negative.

MikeWM

Established Member
In totally unsurprising news, I see they have now also said that once everyone has had chance to get a 'booster' then the definition of 'fully vaccinated' (for vaccine passports etc.) will be having had all three vaccinations.

So for those who don't want to have the booster for whatever reason - welcome back to the unvaccinated club!

quantinghome

Established Member
I note that today the first recorded UK death associated with the Omicron variant has been announced. Given that this variant has now been circulating for a number of weeks, and that any death within 28 days of a positive test is still recorded as a Covid death, the panic over this latest variant is utterly overblown.
You have no idea whether it's overblown or not. None of us do.

The variant has circulated mostly in the younger (and least vaccinated, but least vulnerable) population. It takes time for infections to spread to the older (and to date more vulnerable) population and for infected people to become seriously ill.

There's no point making these sort of assertions. Just wait and see how it pans out. And get your booster if you've not already done so.

21C101

Established Member
In totally unsurprising news, I see they have now also said that once everyone has had chance to get a 'booster' then the definition of 'fully vaccinated' (for vaccine passports etc.) will be having had all three vaccinations.

So for those who don't want to have the booster for whatever reason - welcome back to the unvaccinated club!
By that time there will be no obfuscation possible as to whether Omnicron is severe or not and I suspect the restrictions will be lifted and the politicians currently running round like Corporal Jones shouting "Wolf, don't panic" will be licking their wounds.

If they are right then I have every confidence in my immune system which has had its T Cells fortified by two lots of Astra Zenica. I'm damned if I'm going to keep having one every few months for the same reason I pass on the Flu jab.

MikeWM

Established Member
On a related note, the 'beginning of the end of freedom in England as we've known it' regulations, or perhaps less dramatically 'The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Entry to Venues and Events) (England) Regulations 2021' - ie. vaccine passports - regulations have now been published.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/1416/contents/made

Expiry 26th January (yeah, just like masks were going to expire on the 20th December) and perhaps notable that Javid hasn't signed them but rather 'who's she?' Maggie Throup.

Nothing immediately surprising, though unless I've missed it they've dropped the proposed requirement for *staff* at such venues to be either vaccinated or regularly tested.

New offence with a fine of £10,000 (!) if someone 'makes, adapts, supplies or offers to supply false evidence of COVID status to another person which P knows is false or misleading.'

Eyersey468

Established Member

Doesn't surprise me at all. How long before they reckon a 4th jab, then a 5th etc etc?

asw22

So if the one death wasn’t omicron related and this iswhy the hell has boris announced it ? All he is doing is feeding the media hysteria frenzy and comes across like he’s trying to win a popularity contest

if we catch omicron then we could all die within 45 minutes

Towers

Established Member
Are we taking bets yet on when they're going announce that their 'passports' will begin to apply everywhere?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Are we taking bets yet on when they're going announce that their 'passports' will begin to apply everywhere?
Soon. Or, should we suggest, at a point where cases have gone up, deaths have risen to a reasonable extent (but nothing like earlier this year or last year), and probably about the time the powers are due to expire. So, about January 23rd?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I wouldn’t put it past them, nothing would surprise me any more
The exact reply I was going to give.

By manipulating facts and controlling the narrative entirely, and not promoting balance or just making it education over indoctrination, they have got a lot of people eating out of the palm of their hand.

People are happy to have this horrid stuff going on in their society because they’re scared. I don’t blame those people - I feel sorry for them but hope they’ll wake up soon.

Vaccination status to employers, vaccine passports, all of it is a dangerous precedent. We won’t realise how bad it’s gone until it’s way too late.

Yew

Established Member
Track and Taste? An app for finding railwayside restaurants? Deltics and Dauphinoise, anyone?

eastdyke

Established Member

Thanks both. Think that I'll look at both daily numbers and the 7 day average going forward.

Am having a couple of days away from tomorrow and will not be looking at any Covid data, 'propaganda' or anything else that could depress.

Anybody give me the SP on good pubs in Worcester?

Track and Taste? An app for finding railwayside restaurants? Deltics and Dauphinoise, anyone?
Will be on the Lickey tomorrow :)

P Binnersley

The amendment to the Self Isolation Regulations have been published.
These Regulations amend the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Self-Isolation) (England) Regulations 2020 to remove the distinction between close contacts of a known or suspected Omicron case and close contacts of all other positive cases. All close contacts, regardless of the variant, will no longer be required to self-isolate if they are:

(a)a person who has received a complete course of the coronavirus vaccination, provided that the contact takes place more than 14 days after they have completed their course of vaccinations;
(b)a person who is taking part in a vaccine trial,
(c)a person who can provide evidence that for clinical reasons they should not be vaccinated, or
(d)a child.
The Regulations also provide that, where a person comes within those categories, but was in a period of self-isolation before 6.00 a.m. on 14th December due to their close contact with a known or suspected positive Omicron case, their period of self-isolation ends at 6.00 a.m. on 14th December.
So no need to isolate if you are fully vaccinated. It looks like daily lateral flow tests are only guidance.

dave87016

Established Member
I can’t help but think Starmer isn’t much better , he seems to criticise boris when implements restrictions , he gains support then days later he supports restrictions again , he went ahead in the polls lately people thought he would be anti restrictions , he could have boosted things in his favour but oh no he lends support to Boris I will no longer be voting for rest of my life as no one can be trusted to run this goverment

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The amendment to the Self Isolation Regulations have been published.

So no need to isolate if you are fully vaccinated. It looks like daily lateral flow tests are only guidance.
So, does that mean Omicron is no greater a risk than Delta variant etc?

How many days ago was it that Omicron contacts were given their 'need to isolate whatever your vaccination status' instruction?

Making it up as they go along - a knee-jerk here, a u-turn there. Irresponsible drinking session in a brewery anyone?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
All tomorrows paper have BoJos booster programme plastered across the front pages.

He's got what he wanted and then will get new regs through despite maybe 70 of his own party voting it down because Labour will lend him 200 ayes and he won't even thank them for it.
There's the fact they've announced that 10 day isolation (which I believe is currently in place for anyone who isn't vaccinated, plus anyone who is a close contact of the omicron variant regardless of vaccination status) can be replaced by daily testing using LFTs for 7 days as of this week (I think it may be Tuesday but can't remember). If you are a couple or a larger household, then that can very quickly add up to a large number of tests needed!
No wonder you can't get LFT tests online today and also now need to pre book one for collection from a pharmacy

21C101

Established Member
Beginning of a screeching Mail U-Turn?

I wonder if, given that printed newspapers are disproportionally bought by the elderly, whether they have got the last weeks circulation fugures and realised that they have scared half their readers so much they are now hiding in the cupboard under the stairs at home instead of going to the Newsagent snd buying their Mail?

"Super-spreader party shows jabbed elderly may get 'cold' from Omicron

"Omicron may only cause cold-like symptoms in vaccinated elderly people, according to 'super-spreader' 60th birthday party in Somerset"

Two Covid jabs should still slash risk of dying from Omicron or being hospitalised by 84% even if they offer virtually zero protection against symptoms, SAGE estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.