• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pathfinder Tours Railtour Programme 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

With regards to Mazey Day, there is a Statesman Rail trip to Penzance on Mazey Day (25th June) that takes exactly the same route from Birmingham and Worcester that Pathfinder's trip usually takes. So that would be 2 charter trains on an identical route on exactly the same day. I'm not sure what capacity is like on that part of the network these days, but potentially there may be an issue there as well.

Both trains would be dining and first class heavy too albeit with the PF one probably having a couple of carriages more on it (which would be standard class) and something more enthusiast orientated. I don't have any info whether there is planned to be although PF do use several core pickup routes, a few of which could serve Penzance so not necessarily a show stopper if Statesman go unless paths an issue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bleeder4

I've booked on the Statesman one anyway, rather than keep waiting for Pathfinder to announce. I had such a good time on the S&C trip a couple of weeks ago and I'm quite partial to class 47s. With Pathfinder's boss retiring and their operator talking about pulling out, this might be an interesting year for them.

Iskra

Established Member

Class 50’s taking in the Durham Coast, Tyne Valley, Settle and Carlisle.

43 302

Established Member

Bloody hell as if I haven't already spent enough money on 50 tours! I so like the look of this one though.

ABB125

Established Member

The automated text which accompanies that link erroneously has Stranraer as the destination... :D

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The automated text which accompanies that link erroneously has Stranraer as the destination... :D
Yes, when I first saw that, and that it was going via York, I thought it seemed an incredibly long trip, then couldn't find any reference to Stranraer on the actual page. Not the first time a page has been copied and resulted in incorrect information being shown.

Pity it's not going to Stranraer....I would have been quite tempted by that!
They took 50s there in 2021 so may never be a 50 railtour to that destination again due to it being a more unusual place to visit and a headache operationally, especislly if Scotrail ever restore the full service.

It seems like SLC Operations might provide traincrew but that might limit the available traction.
One look at the SLC website ( or more accurately the traction subsector) reveals a wide expanse of traction the crews sign as well as high route knowledge. I believe they are doing Class 50 training now, possibly due to the fact they are operating a "fill-in" positioning move as a tour with the BLS from the East Mids to Eastleigh with 50008 in a few weeks time.

Iskra

Established Member
Tickets have arrived for next weeks Cwmbargoed Collier tour. There have been some marginal alterations to the original route, I keep checking RTT but nothing is on yet. When the Snow Hill pick up was dropped for New Street I took this to mean the train would no longer go via Kidderminster and Worcester, but this is not the case and the train still takes that route which is good news for me as I've not travelled it before and was one of the reasons for booking. Traction still intended to be 66 and a 60 according to the literature. One thing to note is that due to Valley Lines rules, the toilets will be out of use for around 2hrs 40 mins in the afternoon as the colliery line is travelled- heavy drinking not advised on this tour! Other than that, I'm looking forward to it :)

50002Superb

Another tour has been announced, a South Wales freight tour featuring a class 60 and a 66. Pathfinder have confirmed that they are ‘drip feeding’ their 2022 tours so I will keep updating the thread

Have booked on 13 May trip.

Really looking forward to this one.

Iskra

Established Member
Have booked on 13 May trip.

Really looking forward to this one.
They do look a good set of tours those, especially with 97’s up front. No doubt this line has been popularised after the relatively recent documentary that covered the line. The 20th May one is tempting me.

Nickdeltic01

On Moderation
Pathfinder has been gone quiet lately, but no new Enthusiast tours between April and May with Pathfinder Spring 2022 Programme?

Pathfinder has been gone quiet lately, but no new Enthusiast tours between April and May with Pathfinder Spring 2022 Programme?

I wouldn't agree they've gone quiet. They post regularly on social media and share news as and when they have it. It's getting harder for them to get agreement from TOC's to run charters all the time, which is reflected in the fact trains are rarely announced more than an odd one at a time now.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Both trains would be dining and first class heavy too albeit with the PF one probably having a couple of carriages more on it (which would be standard class) and something more enthusiast orientated. I don't have any info whether there is planned to be although PF do use several core pickup routes, a few of which could serve Penzance so not necessarily a show stopper if Statesman go unless paths an issue.
There is a Pathfinder tour planned to Mazey Day, and it won't be the first time there have been 2 or 3 tours to Penzance on that day - I can recall one occasion when Spitfire ran 2 tours to there, and Pathfinder ran one as well.

There is a Pathfinder tour planned to Mazey Day, and it won't be the first time there have been 2 or 3 tours to Penzance on that day - I can recall one occasion when Spitfire ran 2 tours to there, and Pathfinder ran one as well.

Yep, remember that. Spitfire were 20s and 37s (I think) although I think the 20s started a little further south somewhere like Gloucester perhaps. Think there were 3 arrivals within 2 or 3 hours then they all returned within a small window late afternoon/early evening going back. I can't recall what traction was on the non Spitfire train though.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I suspect pathfinder won't announce more tour details until the is are dotted and ts are crossed with getting trains planned and resourced.

Better having everything in place before the tour gets announced rather than having to cancel it or redate it which could cause hassle with providing refunds (and for the customers annoyance when it comes to hotels/other tickets)

bleeder4

Tickets have arrived for next weeks Cwmbargoed Collier tour. There have been some marginal alterations to the original route, I keep checking RTT but nothing is on yet. When the Snow Hill pick up was dropped for New Street I took this to mean the train would no longer go via Kidderminster and Worcester, but this is not the case and the train still takes that route which is good news for me as I've not travelled it before and was one of the reasons for booking. Traction still intended to be 66 and a 60 according to the literature. One thing to note is that due to Valley Lines rules, the toilets will be out of use for around 2hrs 40 mins in the afternoon as the colliery line is travelled- heavy drinking not advised on this tour! Other than that, I'm looking forward to it :)
That's my local line, as I live only a few minutes from Shrub Hill. You'll be taking the left curve at Smethwick Jn to pass from the New Street line to the Snow Hill line. Left side of the train will probably scrape against foliage there. Then you'll pass through the remains of the old platforms at Smethwick West before the run down Old Hill Bank and through the Black Country. Approaching Stourbridge Jn station you'll pass the freight line to Brierley Hill on your right, which once used to go to Dudley and Wolverhampton. Then you'll pass the Chiltern depot on the right, where there may be a Class 68 or two. As you come into Stourbridge Jn you'll see the branch line to Stourbridge Town on your right, often said to be the shortest branch line in Europe. If you're lucky you'll also see one of the Class 139 people movers that work the line. Then onto Kidderminster, where shortly after the station you will run past the Severn Valley Railway on your right, including their diesel depot, so you'll definitely see some 50s there.
Approaching Droitwich Spa you'll pass on the left the single track line up to Stoke Works Jn just south of Bromsgrove. If you like your semaphores you'll be in your element, as the whole line still uses them extensively. Shrub Hill in particular still has a large semaphore signal gantry, which you'll see on the right side as you pull into the station. The whole of the Worcester area is still controlled by three mechanical signal boxes, at Tunnel Jn, Shrub Hill and Henwick Jn. You'll go past the first two just before and just after the station respectively, both on the right.

Anyway, have a good trip!

Iskra

Established Member
That's my local line, as I live only a few minutes from Shrub Hill. You'll be taking the left curve at Smethwick Jn to pass from the New Street line to the Snow Hill line. Left side of the train will probably scrape against foliage there. Then you'll pass through the remains of the old platforms at Smethwick West before the run down Old Hill Bank and through the Black Country. Approaching Stourbridge Jn station you'll pass the freight line to Brierley Hill on your right, which once used to go to Dudley and Wolverhampton. Then you'll pass the Chiltern depot on the right, where there may be a Class 68 or two. As you come into Stourbridge Jn you'll see the branch line to Stourbridge Town on your right, often said to be the shortest branch line in Europe. If you're lucky you'll also see one of the Class 139 people movers that work the line. Then onto Kidderminster, where shortly after the station you will run past the Severn Valley Railway on your right, including their diesel depot, so you'll definitely see some 50s there.
Approaching Droitwich Spa you'll pass on the left the single track line up to Stoke Works Jn just south of Bromsgrove. If you like your semaphores you'll be in your element, as the whole line still uses them extensively. Shrub Hill in particular still has a large semaphore signal gantry, which you'll see on the right side as you pull into the station. The whole of the Worcester area is still controlled by three mechanical signal boxes, at Tunnel Jn, Shrub Hill and Henwick Jn. You'll go past the first two just before and just after the station respectively, both on the right.

Anyway, have a good trip!
Thank you very much for the excellent description, I will keep an eye out for the sights you mention. I do like a Semaphore- I have been to Worcester Shrub Hill before- it has a very old school feel to it!

Iskra

Established Member
60040 Ready to drop onto the rear of the set

923CE54D-686F-4F9A-BE69-73082CEE52EA.jpeg

Train currently stopped due to a swan incursion…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.