• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pathfinder Tours Railtour Programme 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRV3004

Any scope for 68 hauled tours operated by someone else do you think? If not it would make 68 tours quite hard to do! Sure some FL & ROG drivers sign them but I'm not sure about DB.
I guess that would remain to be seen! I know Freightliner drivers definitely sign 68s so there's scope there, but I'm also assuming DRS would need to permit the use of their locos on any future tours. Did 66434 definitely work today? It was reported as being on the back of the tour, but you replied to one of my posts saying it was "minus the 66". Curious to find out!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At least some sort of break was had! For me, the multi-traction “spin and win” tours just aren’t what they used to be (whenever they run).
I didn’t even know the tour today was actually running until the Thursday just gone, and I work for DRS!!!! It is my understanding that we are looking to move away from charter operation altogether, but not sure when.

Can't argue with those sentiments although I can't say anything DRS operated would be the slightest bit of interest these days, and barely any different with any other stuff left on the service train or railtour worlds so I'm lucky that I won't lose much personally if the whole lot ended tomorrow.

I understand, as far as I last heard, you'll go out with a bang and the last one is likely to be the 4 day Easter land cruise for Pathfinder. At least its a rateable itinerary even if the traction isn't to please everyone.

As I said earlier it hinges on what happens to your passenger license to whether it ever comes back. The big issue is that the few customers these DRS trips were organised by, generally via Riviera wanted mostly the more enthusiast orientated specs and post Northern Belle DRS has only been offered mostly that sort of thing. It really isn't what it ever had the capability for so after the covid hangover (along with the remaining staffing pressures) alongside the culling of its heritage fleets its a distraction from the lucrative regular contracts sadly.

Out of interest, why do Freightliner drivers sign class 68s?

The testing/mileage accumulation work for the mk5s on the WCML with 68s. That's something that is likely to be over soon if not already so expect the small pool of drivers will then allow competency to lapse. But, of course, Freightliner no longer generally keep passenger competent drivers after the work for TPE to Scotland ended or get involved in charters (they've never had a passenger license) so I don't see their involvement with 68s being relevant.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Did 66434 definitely work today? It was reported as being on the back of the tour, but you replied to one of my posts saying it was "minus the 66". Curious to find out!!!
Yes, 66434 on the front from Peterborough to Lincoln to Newark.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The testing/mileage accumulation work for the mk5s on the WCML with 68s. That's something that is likely to be over soon if not already so expect the small pool of drivers will then allow competency to lapse. But, of course, Freightliner no longer generally keep passenger competent drivers after the work for TPE to Scotland ended or get involved in charters (they've never had a passenger license) so I don't see their involvement with 68s being relevant.
I understand they're still doing transfer moves between the various 68/Mk5 storage/stabling locations (Warrington MSC Sidings, Gascoigne Wood and Longsight). But yes.

43 302

Established Member
I guess that would remain to be seen! I know Freightliner drivers definitely sign 68s so there's scope there, but I'm also assuming DRS would need to permit the use of their locos on any future tours. Did 66434 definitely work today? It was reported as being on the back of the tour, but you replied to one of my posts saying it was "minus the 66". Curious to find out!!!
Thank you for your reply. Hopefully there is hope for people who do 68s then, I can't see why DRS wouldn't allow another operator to use their engines if they are available. Sorry, my reply of minus the 66 was just me joking that it wasn't worthy of being noted :lol: It definitely worked today. Cheers.

I understand they're still doing transfer moves between the various 68/Mk5 storage/stabling locations (Warrington MSC Sidings, Gascoigne Wood and Longsight). But yes.
Are those not ROG operated now too?

LRV3004

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully there is hope for people who do 68s then, I can't see why DRS wouldn't allow another operator to use their engines if they are available. Sorry, my reply of minus the 66 was just me joking that it wasn't worthy of being noted :lol: It definitely worked today. Cheers.
Ah, no worries! Just thought you knew something I didn’t because I knew that 66434 was definitely off to Burton Wetmore on the Friday with 68018!
Hopefully the DRS 68s will see further passenger use to allow enthusiasts to get the “non-passenger” examples - for “new” engines they sound damn good!!!

Also guilty of not keeping up; perhaps someone more knowledgeable can set us straight!
Freightliner drivers frequently do Class 68 moves between Gresty Bridge and Longsight (and vice versa). Was chatting with a Freightliner driver who turned up to move one a couple of weeks ago while I was out in the yard!

Last edited:

43 302

Established Member
Hopefully the DRS 68s will see further passenger use to allow enthusiasts to get the “non-passenger” examples - for “new” engines they sound damn good!!!

Freightliner drivers frequently do Class 68 moves between Gresty Bridge and Longsight (and vice versa). Was chatting with a Freightliner driver who turned up to move one a couple of weeks ago while I was out in the yard!
Definitely, they are the only class from this century that I have any interest in to be honest! Ah thanks. In that case I guess both FL and ROG have drivers that sign them.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Hopefully there is hope for people who do 68s then, I can't see why DRS wouldn't allow another operator to use their engines if they are available.
Turning it the other way, why would another operator want to use 68s? I can't imagine DB for example hiring in a 68 (which would presumably also training up some crew members to drive them, or hiring crews off DRS as well) just because a promoter wants to use one on a crankex or two. Then there is the issue of insurance which has also, I believe, caused problems with the use of hired-in traction with one of the charter TOCs in the past.

43 302

Established Member
Turning it the other way, why would another operator want to use 68s? I can't imagine DB for example hiring in a 68 (which would presumably also training up some crew members to drive them, or hiring crews off DRS as well) just because a promoter wants to use one on a crankex or two. Then there is the issue of insurance which has also, I believe, caused problems with the use of hired-in traction with one of the charter TOCs in the past.
Same could be said for the many tours I have done with other operators locos. I have had GB operate DRS 37s, DB operate DRS 37s, DB operate 50s etc and that's just 2021. The point is that it is possible, though I do understand where you are coming from.

Iskra

Established Member
Plenty of good value 68 haulage to be had with TP on a South Pennine Day Ranger for the foreseeable future. 68’s seem to be losing the novelty value on charters now.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Same could be said for the many tours I have done with other operators locos. I have had GB operate DRS 37s, DB operate DRS 37s, DB operate 50s etc and that's just 2021. The point is that it is possible, though I do understand where you are coming from.
Yes, you are right, it is possible, but my point was would they want to? Resources are scarce - we've seen several tours not get off the drawing board this year due to TOCs being unable to facilitate them, so adding the complexity of hired in traction which the company doesn't even sign is, I would think, a no-no. I am happy to be proved wrong at some point though!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Plenty of good value 68 haulage to be had with TP on a South Pennine Day Ranger for the foreseeable future. 68’s seem to be losing the novelty value on charters now.
The purpose of putting a 68 on a charter is to get somewhere efficiently and quickly. The numbers game should be over as anyone interested has had plenty of opportunities to have all 34 for haulage, albeit not all to the same total mileage.

43 302

Established Member
The purpose of putting a 68 on a charter is to get somewhere efficiently and quickly. The numbers game should be over as anyone interested has had plenty of opportunities to have all 34 for haulage, albeit not all to the same total mileage.
Can only speak for myself but I started developing an interest only a year ago and so no, I haven't had the opportunity to get all 34. Quite right on your first point though, although 67s or an AC would provide the same.

Plenty of good value 68 haulage to be had with TP on a South Pennine Day Ranger for the foreseeable future.
It'll probably be a North East rover for me once the Cleethorpes runs start. But the Mk5 stock isn't great for cranks.

Iskra

Established Member
I've just booked on one of the Cambrian Coast tours in May, which is probably worth it just for the class 97 haulage alone, but I hear very good things about the line too and I'm yet to travel it. Hopefully the weather is nice!

bleeder4

37218+37425 for the Pathfinder Bristol to Bolton tour tomorrow!
Should be a good trip. I'm looking forward to it. I've never done the Hope Valley line at all, believe it or not, so that will be the highlight for me. Looks to be a shorter train formation than usual as there's only 1 Premier Dining coach. A to E Standard, F to H First and J Premier Dining. Assume I will be the kitchen coach so that's 10 in total, instead of the usual 13.

Bristol to Carlisle with Tangmere Carnforth - CARLISLE - S&C - Preston announced today. Presumably top n tail type 4s on the other 2 legs. Same sort of standard class fare as the diesel trips so OK with the steam legs.

First Saturday in September.

Last edited:

43 302

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know which way around the stock is? I'm in coach A hoping it will be at the front doing up the Lickey!

bleeder4

Does anyone happen to know which way around the stock is? I'm in coach A hoping it will be at the front doing up the Lickey!
There are videos of the ECS move today Burton to Bristol on Youtube, and Standard is at the front. I'm not familiar enough with Bristol to know all the shunting moves but if it's just a simple loco run round for the morning then Standard will be at the back.

43 302

Established Member
There are videos of the ECS move today Burton to Bristol on Youtube, and Standard is at the front. I'm not familiar enough with Bristol to know all the shunting moves but if it's just a simple loco run round for the morning then Standard will be at the back.
Thank you. I believe it is just a run round so looks like I will be at the back :(

Sean Emmett

Bristol to Carlisle with Tangmere Carnforth - CARLISLE - S&C - Preston announced today. Presumably top n tail type 4s on the other 2 legs. Same sort of standard class fare as the diesel trips so OK with the steam legs.

Very tempting indeed. Just that age old question, is it planned to have a diesel in the formation, or will Tangers tackle this alone?

Bertie the bus

Established Member

By type 4 I presume you mean 47s. How are 47s going to be provided on a Pathfinder tour when Riviera and WCRC never work together and LSL don't hire their locos out?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How are 47s going to be provided on a Pathfinder tour when Riviera and WCRC never work together
Tangmere is a WCRC loco. Pathfinder / Riviera are working together on a number of proposed class 37 tours in the near future now that the other source isn't available.

43 302

Established Member
Tangmere is a WCRC loco. Pathfinder / Riviera are working together on a number of proposed class 37 tours in the near future now that the other source isn't available.
LSL also do hire their locos out sometimes, so all of what he posted was wibble!

By type 4 I presume you mean 47s. How are 47s going to be provided on a Pathfinder tour when Riviera and WCRC never work together and LSL don't hire their locos out?
It might be a 100% WCRC job using there own stock otherwise there will be a lot of light engine moves, Pathfinder just doing the bookings

bleeder4

Had a great trip on the Pennine Wayfarer on Saturday. The 37s performed flawlessly and we ran on time all day. I believe it was the last single day Pathfinder tour that DRS will operate (they're operating the Scottish weekender) so was extra special. Francoise Bourgeois was on board as well, presumably invited by Pathfinder as a publicity stunt.

It will be interesting to see how the WCRC trips work out. I'm on the S&C trip at the end of April so will find out then. The website does state that the Riviera coaches will be used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.