• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preacher on SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
More than once over the past year I’ve seen the guard panel left open and kids have gotten ahold of the microphone, one time this happened the guard announced that police would be called and that they’d get kicked off the train (not sure if that actually happened though)
On the Haslemere route, perchance?

I played the OPs audio file - and I  think the on-train preacher was giving praise to SWR, for  finally getting the cl. 701s into revenue service. :D
Yes, it is the modern miracle...

May the lord strike thee down!!! (with two bolts of lightning, one flood, one plague and six specific railway bylaw prosecutions I can think of).
Illustrations of these can be found by the cantrail orange line...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sultan

Seems we have 3 people spreading the word of God now (deliberately or not) - the lady using the tannoy in the train - the tik-tokker who recorded it and posted to their account - and now @Energy for spreading the news here.

All will be saved!

spyinthesky

Seems we have 3 people spreading the word of God now (deliberately or not) - the lady using the tannoy in the train - the tik-tokker who recorded it and posted to their account - and now @Energy for spreading the news here.

All will be saved!
They are only doing God’s work as he retired some while ago.

Benjwri

Established Member
He'd look a little silly if it did happen. No law has been broken. (Misuse of safety equipment on public transport would be really, really, really pushing it)
Probably breaks multiple byelaws though, you could make a case is breaks:
Except with written permission from an Operator no person on the railway shall, to the annoyance of any person: (i) sing; or (ii) use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound.
It definitely breaks this one:
No person shall move, operate, obstruct, stop or in any other way interfere with any automatic closing door, train, or any other equipment on the railway except:
and this one:
No person shall, without reasonable cause, activate any emergency system and/or any communications system provided on any part of the railway including a train.

By breaking a byelaw someone must leave the railway if asked to by an authorised person, and can be removed if they do not, so the guard would be very much in their right.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Probably breaks multiple byelaws though, you could make a case is breaks:

It definitely breaks this one:

and this one:

By breaking a byelaw someone must leave the railway if asked to by an authorised person, and can be removed if they do not, so the guard would be very much in their right.
Yes, I totally agree, I just wondered if there's anything the police could really do about that.

DelW

Established Member
More than once over the past year I’ve seen the guard panel left open and kids have gotten ahold of the microphone, one time this happened the guard announced that police would be called and that they’d get kicked off the train (not sure if that actually happened though)
On the Haslemere route, perchance?
Yes, I totally agree, I just wondered if there's anything the police could really do about that.
There were a number of cases reported on the Portsmouth Direct a couple of years ago, which included abuse over the PA, where the troublemakers apparently came from the Farncombe area. I saw reports at the time that both BTP and Surrey police were carrying out an operation to identify those involved and deter them from such behaviour. It seems to have been reduced since, or if it's continued, it's attracted less attention.

brad465

Established Member

All will be saved!
If you want to learn about God I suggest ask anyone apart from the person on this train :lol:
It's probably a mixed take from a Christian perspective: on the one hand spreading the word is a good deed, but it must be a sin to use other people's property without permission.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
It's probably a mixed take from a Christian perspective: on the one hand spreading the word is a good deed, but it must be a sin to use other people's property without permission.

Indeed. And in my experience most Christians from the UK who are sufficiently committed/evangelical to want to spread the word in this way would also strongly believe in respecting and obeying the law. So it does seem unusual to have someone who would disobey the law and abuse railway equipment in order to preach.

Deepgreen

Established Member
There were a number of cases reported on the Portsmouth Direct a couple of years ago, which included abuse over the PA, where the troublemakers apparently came from the Farncombe area. I saw reports at the time that both BTP and Surrey police were carrying out an operation to identify those involved and deter them from such behaviour. It seems to have been reduced since, or if it's continued, it's attracted less attention.
That's what I was thinking.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I was thinking that maybe London's infamous prankster, Mizzy (remember him?) had found God...

Not sure whether that would be a good or a bad thing!

Mcv378

If anyone wants to talk to me about God, you can find me in Coach 5 of this 8 Car train....

Krokodil

Established Member
Ask them to leave, and then make them leave if they don't. Report them for a byelaw prosecution if it becomes persistent.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
If anyone wants to talk to me about God, you can find me in Coach 5 of this 8 Car train....
If anyone wants to talk to me about God, you can find me in Coach 8 of this 5 Car train... ;)

(Please note, this is a reference to my personal position on the deity question, not an attempt to denigrate those of a different position)

Pigeon

It's not just a case of them "falling into the wrong hands", they are also freely available because they are used in other industries, buses notably. Heck my gas meter box used a square key that's nearly identical on size.

The square bar out of the inside of a door handle fits too.

JKF

Indeed. And in my experience most Christians from the UK who are sufficiently committed/evangelical to want to spread the word in this way would also strongly believe in respecting and obeying the law.
Perhaps less than they used to be. Bristol is absolutely covered in christian graffiti and flyposters at the moment, usually ‘Jesus is Lord’ or similar short messages. It’s all over the city and extends quite far into outlying areas. I don’t know if this militant evangelism is a US import or something like that, perhaps linked to culture war nonsense around abortion etc.

Towers

Established Member
The square bar out of the inside of a door handle fits too.
There can be / should be a pin in the centre of the square opening, which prevents basic square ended keys or other random items being inserted. A railway issue carriage key has the corresponding shaft in the square end in order to fit. As someone else has already said, you can also have a cover plate which the proper key will rotate behind, again preventing the use of all sorts of other bits & bobs to get in! Both or either of these measures do make the locks a fair bit more secure. I’m unsure if Desiro guards’ panels have either of these features; I presume not!

Ken X

My dad once told me there was a large religious poster which proclaimed "Jesus is coming!" to which had been added "Provided he changes at Crewe". Raised a chuckle apparently :)

On Moderation
My dad once told me there was a large religious poster which proclaimed "Jesus is coming!" to which had been added "Provided he changes at Crewe". Raised a chuckle apparently :)
There was a similar addition to a “Jesus saves” poster in the 70s in Liverpool. “But Keegan scores on the rebound” was the addition, apparently.

Bluejays

I'd love to know the 'conversion rate' of these preachers. Has anyone ever listened to their ramblings and thought 'i need to get myself to church, this blokes talking sense' :D

Sultan

I'd love to know the 'conversion rate' of these preachers. Has anyone ever listened to their ramblings and thought 'i need to get myself to church, this blokes talking sense' :D
Remember that not all christians are the same, and some believe that they can only get to heaven by earning their ticket - which includes active envangalism. The JWs are very much of this mind - the more hours the better the seat!! But the majority know that all they have to do is truly believe in Jesus and through his action (of having died), their sins are forgiven and they have secured their place in heaven.

Even I'm evangalising now! But I'm not going to enter into any debate on the above. This is a railway forum, after all!

Bluejays

Remember that not all christians are the same, and some believe that they can only get to heaven by earning their ticket - which includes active envangalism. The JWs are very much of this mind - the more hours the better the seat!! But the majority know that all they have to do is truly believe in Jesus and through his action (of having died), their sins are forgiven and they have secured their place in heaven.

Even I'm evangalising now! But I'm not going to enter into any debate on the above. This is a railway forum, after all!
Totally agree. Went for a wander around Southwark cathedral the other week. As it happened there was actually a service going on at the time, one of the parishioners had been posted by the entrance to make sure visitors still knew that they were welcome to look around despite the service. Despite not having a religious bone in my body, it was hard not to be struck by the quiet dignity and decency of the priest and parishioners. From the content of their service to their numerous charitable endeavours and outreach programmes.

It was an absolute world away from the assault of the eardrums that the passengers on that train were subjected to :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We’re calling it a day for this thread. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.