• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved DMU updates

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
It's not that maroon is a bad livery, or green for that matter. I just wish railways would show a more diverse range of periods rather than 1957-1963.

I love Crimson and cream. Harder to keep clean but looks great with lined BR Black locos.

But then you have to buy two different types of paint, take longer to apply and the cream shows dirt and corrosion more quickly.

I always assume there is a reason WCR go with maroon drab on the bulk of their stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
That’s why I think RR is the most likely. Goes fairly well alongside all the grey diesels and the WYPTE Pacer.
I'm hoping that the 37 gets a coat of blue in the not too distant future. Also, when the 25 returns to service, hopefully that will be blue. A blue bog cart to go alongside (or to get dragged when it fails!) would be good.

Iskra

Established Member
The Wensleydale 143 is in RR
See post #20 ;)

I'm hoping that the 37 gets a coat of blue in the not too distant future. Also, when the 25 returns to service, hopefully that will be blue. A blue bog cart to go alongside (or to get dragged when it fails!) would be good.
The 25 has been blue for ages hasn’t it, so you’d think it would be more likely to emerge green?

m79900

The Ecclesbourne Valley line has a large fleet of units, but many are either stood down, or loaned out as they seem to be moving towards loco hauled workings. If anyone has connections to the railway, could you please enlighten me as to the future of some of the units?

Russel

The Ecclesbourne Valley line has a large fleet of units, but many are either stood down, or loaned out as they seem to be moving towards loco hauled workings. If anyone has connections to the railway, could you please enlighten me as to the future of some of the units?

I've noticed this too.

I used to be a regular visitor for the DMU fleet, since they've stopped using them I've not visited.

I'd like to see the 3 car 101 transfer to another line so it sees some actual use.

xotGD

Established Member
The 25 has been blue for ages hasn’t it, so you’d think it would be more likely to emerge green?
That's why I'm hoping it comes back out in blue!

The 20 and the 08s ought to be repainted in blue too!

Iskra

Established Member
That's why I'm hoping it comes back out in blue!

The 20 and the 08s ought to be repainted in blue too!
There’s a theme developing here :D

I do think the grey is a bit drab so anything would be better really. Still good loco’s though :)

m79900

At one point, it seemed to be the Ecclesbournes main workhorse, to see it sat in a siding 99% of the time now is quie sad.
50170 is currently being used to test the Derby Lightweight trailer car, so it hasn't been totally forgotten.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Could always dummy pipes/boxes.
True. To be honest I've never been able to work out what those pipes were actually for. Possibly multiple working with other 141s, but as I was pretty young when they got refurbished I can't recall ever seeing them paired up and having those pipes/jumpers used for such a purpose. The 141s were a particular oddity before they were refurbished and fitted with BSI couplers, being unable to work with any other types.

fgwrich

Established Member
LSL's 142003 has been repainted into GMPTE orange, although as far as I know it's yet to venture outside of Eastleigh works.

Correct, though it has just received new and bespoke CET Tanks. LSL's 007 in RRNW should be getting them fitted next.

Isn't 141108 at Eastleigh too. Wonder what livery that will receive

No idea, but it's still very much stored undercover in the main shed at the moment. I think most of the attention is currently being shared between LSLs 73 and Pacers there.

Rikki Lamb

I saw LSL and ETL have put out an announcement that the parts required to return the 89 to operational status have finally been obtained and the loco will be moved shortly Loughborough for the work to be carried out. I believe the plan is to have it working charter trains with their Intercity rake, possibly as soon as next Summer.

True. To be honest I've never been able to work out what those pipes were actually for. Possibly multiple working with other 141s, but as I was pretty young when they got refurbished I can't recall ever seeing them paired up and having those pipes/jumpers used for such a purpose. The 141s were a particular oddity before they were refurbished and fitted with BSI couplers, being unable to work with any other types.
The pipes were to allow the units to be coupled to other pacers and the sprinters IIRC

Neptune

Established Member
The pipes were to allow the units to be coupled to other pacers and the sprinters IIRC
No they were air pipes etc. 141’s as built had tight lock couplers and could only work in multiple within class and with the prototype class 140. They only got BSI’s fitted to enable multi working with 14x/15x when refurbished.
You'll then have people complaining it should have Tightlock, not BSI, couplers on the front!
Very true. Those complainers are invariably those who are never prepared to get their hands in their pockets themselves.

Mat17

I'd love to see a 142 retrofitted with original style doors. I can't imagine any preserved rail would of course given how unreliable the original doors were!

m79900

I’d love to see a 142 retrofitted with original style doors. I can’t imagine any preserved rail would of course given how unreliable the original doors were!
Or even better, the original Leyland engines!

Last edited:

Rikki Lamb

No they were air pipes etc. 141’s as built had tight lock couplers and could only work in multiple within class and with the prototype class 140. They only got BSI’s fitted to enable multi working with 14x/15x when refurbished.

Very true. Those complainers are invariably those who are never prepared to get their hands in their pockets themselves.
Thank you for the confirmation, I couldn't remember 100% what they were for.

I'd be glad to see it in any livery but atleast it us looked after. One of the most unpopular classes of DMU conceived but I always liked them.

Established Member
W55034 (the ex Chiltern bubble) seems to be the only unit in passenger use at the mo. Next working on the EVR website currently shows 26th July.
Lightweight Iris is at the Great Central
Half of a blue Lightweight is coupled to another half of a unit (as reported above). Believe the other half is in the shed having work done.
Another bubble W55006 is currently being painted.

The mainstay of the services is now the 5 coach set (4 mk1's and LMS coach) and standard 4 80080 or diesel loco. Most weekends there are some sort of food service on the train in the afternoon which can take up to 3 of the coaches.

Mat17

W55034 (the ex Chiltern bubble) seems to be the only unit in passenger use at the mo. Next working on the EVR website currently shows 26th July.
Lightweight Iris is at the Great Central
Half of a blue Lightweight is coupled to another half of a unit (as reported above). Believe the other half is in the shed having work done.
Another bubble W55006 is currently being painted.

The mainstay of the services is now the 5 coach set (4 mk1's and LMS coach) and standard 4 80080 or diesel loco. Most weekends there are some sort of food service on the train in the afternoon which can take up to 3 of the coaches.
Were they the ones that had a class 119?

m79900

Were they the ones that had a class 119?
Yes, W51073. Its sat in a siding looking a bit sorry for itself.

Will this be heading back to Loco Services or staying for the time being?

Last edited:

Ewan M

Anyone hoping to see the three Class 144s with Vintage Trains back on the mainline, sadly that will not be the case. Been reported in this month’s Railway Magazine that 144014 went to R Davies Metals & Sons, Kingswinford for disposal last month and that the other (019 and 020) will be or have followed suit

Iskra

Established Member
Anyone hoping to see the three Class 144s with Vintage Trains back on the mainline, sadly that will not be the case. Been reported in this month’s Railway Magazine that 144014 went to R Davies Metals & Sons, Kingswinford for disposal last month and that the other (019 and 020) will be or have followed suit
Any reason?

Not that I’ve any great enthusiasm for Pacer railtours…