• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
One has just been announced as the "Northern Super Sprinter service" at Shrewsbury?!
Northern Super Sprinter? At Shrewsbury? I don't recall anything about TfW borrowing a Northern 153, and I doubt (m)any TfW crews sign 155s (unless signing 153s automatically means they also sign 155s) or 156s.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What type of announcement was that?
I would suggest it to obviously be a manual one done by a member of station staff who clearly thought it’d be funny. Let’s hope no one had TFW only tickets and got confused.

william.martin

On Moderation
I have heard this loads at Shrewsbury, the other day I heard "Transport for Wales class 158 and 150 service".
I know that they sometimes let the odd enthusiast have ago at the announcements just like they allowed me too a few years ago when arriva roamed the planet
I guess that one of the announcers must know his stuff.
I would suggest it to obviously be a manual one done by a member of station staff who clearly thought it’d be funny. Let’s hope no one had TFW only tickets and got confused.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That was my thought. Also, it wasn't a Super Sprinter, that's a 156.

It threw me off for a bit while I tried to work out what Northern were doing there!

What type of announcement was that?

A manual one over the top of the automatic one (not very helpful).

Northern Super Sprinter? At Shrewsbury? I don't recall anything about TfW borrowing a Northern 153, and I doubt (m)any TfW crews sign 155s (unless signing 153s automatically means they also sign 155s) or 156s.

It was actually a 150, so not only not that funny but also wrong...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Does anyone know where 150285 has been? I don't believe it has worked since 150260 went for refurbishment, suggesting 285 won't return until it also has been refurbished either? Which would mean the end of the Arriva coloured ones in service.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
R. I .P Arriva trains Wales - an operator that managed to run a train on time.
That’s not quite how I remember it, but Transport for Wales don’t bother running a service to my local station after 6pm these days, so I’m certainly not going to defend the new company against claims that Arriva were better.

This should mark the end of Arriva livery though.

Anonymous10

Established Member
That’s not quite how I remember it, but Transport for Wales don’t bother running a service to my local station after 6pm these days, so I’m certainly not going to defend the new company against claims that Arriva were better.

what station doesn't get a service after 6pm?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
what station doesn't get a service after 6pm?
Cathays and Llandaf - now I know it’s due to the Metro works, but we’re talking five days out of six there’s no service after 6/7pm, and when there is it only goes to Radyr or Pontypridd at furthest before ceasing around 9. It’s becoming dire and they’ve stopped putting buses on most days, with ticket acceptance for Cardiff Bus if lucky

Probably shouldn’t discuss that here though :)

william.martin

On Moderation

A few years ago I had to use the Cambrian coat line every weekend for 9 years straight. I remember 1 cancellation and the longest delay was about 20 mins.
Nowadays with TFW they are plain unreliable, if you were traveling for work/ school it would not be reliable enough. For holiday makers and locals where it is not necessary it is not to bad.
The portion of the line that I used was between Pwhelli and Tywyn.

Enough of my story telling for now, are there any trains in the fleet in Arriva blue? (all classes)

Status
Not open for further replies.