• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
I did hear in a YouTube video that they are planned to be converted to cycle units similar to the ones in Scotland. Not sure if this is just wishful thinking or its actually a planned project. If they are focusing the 153's on the Heart of Wales then this would work well
The problem is, as it stands the only route the 153s are planned to work is the Heart of Wales - and for all it's charm the HOWL does not in my experience at least tend to see a large amount of bike users. Maybe things have changed since I worked down there but in my day it always say lots of hikers, especially at weekends, but very few cyclists - and certainly not enough to fill half a 153.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The problem is, as it stands the only route the 153s are planned to work is the Heart of Wales - and for all it's charm the HOWL does not in my experience at least tend to see a large amount of bike users. Maybe things have changed since I worked down there but in my day it always say lots of hikers, especially at weekends, but very few cyclists - and certainly not enough to fill half a 153.

I guess it depends on the time of year, day of the week etc but I think a lot of people get put off by the tiny trains. I was certainly expecting a riot when my 153 arrived in Llandeilo the other week, expecting to be told I wouldn't be able to board (I had a reservation) due to others on board already, but this was a Thursday afternoon in September, so outside of the peak tourist season. On a sunny weekend day in the summer, it could easily be different. Or it could simply be that most people are already equipped with vehicles to take their bikes in and don't consider the train.

I strongly feel that a well-known bike-train service would have a lot of potential on the Heart of Wales line. I would use it, for sure, and if it was like the ScotRail 153s I do reckon it would be well used even if just by people using the train for 'utility cycling'.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I strongly feel that a well-known bike-train service would have a lot of potential on the Heart of Wales line. I would use it, for sure, and if it was like the ScotRail 153s I do reckon it would be well used even if just by people using the train for 'utility cycling'.
I just checked the national cycle network map and, to my surprise, there isn't all that much of it in that area. There's a bit (mostly on-road) between Llanwrtyd and Knighton but Llandeilo, Llandovery and Church Stretton are not on the national cycle network at all. I also did a quick search for info on the Heart Of Wales Trail I heard about a while back but as far as I can tell that's a walking trail not a cycle one.

I guess it depends on the time of year, day of the week etc but I think a lot of people get put off by the tiny trains. I was certainly expecting a riot when my 153 arrived in Llandeilo the other week, expecting to be told I wouldn't be able to board (I had a reservation) due to others on board already, but this was a Thursday afternoon in September, so outside of the peak tourist season.
You had a reservation on a TfW service? Have they reintroduced reservations? I thought they have only been issuing 'counted place' booking cards since COVID?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I just checked the national cycle network map and, to my surprise, there isn't all that much of it in that area. There's a bit (mostly on-road) between Llanwrtyd and Knighton but Llandeilo, Llandovery and Church Stretton are not on the national cycle network at all. I also did a quick search for info on the Heart Of Wales Trail I heard about a while back but as far as I can tell that's a walking trail not a cycle one.

You had a reservation on a TfW service? Have they reintroduced reservations? I thought they have only been issuing 'counted place' booking cards since COVID?

Not everyone rides on NCN (National Cycle Network) routes, indeed I have a number of poor experiences on them. A lot of good experiences too, don't get me wrong, but there's much more available. I did Hereford-Llandeilo via Brecon a few weeks ago, almost exclusively not on NCN routes. Granted, it's not on the HoW, but there's some good road cycling available out of Maesteg too. In the Brecon Beacons, not that far from Llandovery on its western side, there's some brilliant cycling available that's also not NCN. Cycle Across The Beacons I believe the stickers on the signposts read, I may be wrong of course as I wasn't looking for those. It is a recommended route on the Sustrans Mid Wales South map though. There's the Elan Valley within a reasonable reach of Pen-y-bont on the HoW, although I've yet to ride up there. It's on the list to do, and like I say Wales is full of good cycling.

In any case, it's not just about getting people onto the HoW for cycling adventures. There's some good-looking cycling available around the Llanelli area, of course accessible off HoW trains, same around Swansea. Plenty of decent looking options in Pembrokeshire as well, I've not done much of this lot but I'm going to at some point.

As for reservations, the counted-place reservations on TfW routes have been around for years. I was more referring to the reservation for my cycle.

animationmilo

Does anyone know why 153909 hasnt been used in nearly 6 months. Last time was around 22nd April that it was out and about

Bikeman78

Established Member
It's one of the burnt ones, I haven't spotted it there before I think! Else it has been moved around recently in the depot.
If it's in TfW livery then it's 150242. 150240 was the third unit in the formation but it was not severely (if at all) damaged. It was back in service within hours of arrival back at Canton depot for checks.

el_lnrd

If it's in TfW livery then it's 150242. 150240 was the third unit in the formation but it was not severely (if at all) damaged. It was back in service within hours of arrival back at Canton depot for checks.
Yes it's the one in tfw livery ! :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I hadn't remembered the ex-GC MK4 sets were out on test, but I just managed to catch one of them as the train left Hereford. It has to be said that they look good!

Attachments

• 20221026_145001.jpg
    20221026_145001.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 89
  • 20221026_145002.jpg
    20221026_145002.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 86
  • 20221026_145013.jpg
    20221026_145013.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 20221026_145021.jpg
    20221026_145021.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 78
  • 20221026_145016.jpg
    20221026_145016.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 84

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Does it? I think they look appalling.

As certain as I am that your post is purely an attempt to rile people, I'll bite. I completely disagree with you, although I will add that I'm a little bit biased because I like orange 8-)

A video is now also up, it is very windy in Hereford today so excuse the not great sound quality:

Anonymous10

Established Member
I hadn't remembered the ex-GC MK4 sets were out on test, but I just managed to catch one of them as the train left Hereford. It has to be said that they look good!
i think a red band in place of the gold/ yellow and some tfw branding and they'd look ok

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
As certain as I am that your post is purely an attempt to rile people, I'll bite. I completely disagree with you, although I will add that I'm a little bit biased because I like orange 8-)

A video is now also up, it is very windy in Hereford today so excuse the not great sound quality:

I agree with you! However I do think it will still look smart when it gets a red stripe added instead of the orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.