• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InTheEastMids

Haven't been following every twist and turn of this thread, so this may not be news, but I saw an 805 (all white) heading South near Weedon just before 3pm this afternoon, so suppose it was this working:

Samzino

Does anyone know what the Mode or reason for this loud sounding AC Auxiliary Buzz (0:02 till departure) is on the IETs and if its some Turbo mode that the 805s and 807s will have? I notice that some units will have the loud buzzing and then on other days won't.

Compared to here where its all quiet

Samzino

Is it just drawing power from the overhead line to the traction motors just being stationary
I thought so but it seems to be some sort of energy mode as the units above in the videos I've witnessed the AC Auxiliary Power Supply buzz on and off. However I'd not be surprised its something to do with the Transformer.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I love the buzz sound and always listen out for it at Cardiff Central. It tends to be when the pantograph is up for the first time having been in diesel before.

Samzino

I love the buzz sound and always listen out for it at Cardiff Central. It tends to be when the pantograph is up for the first time having been in diesel before.
Interesting. That leads me to a diagram pointing to the APS then

1700344355598.png
Source: Hitachi PDF

Few seconds later on the above the Buzzing Auxiliary Power Supply appears. Well that answers that I believe and that yes the 805 and 807s will have it, finally can rule out it being some sort of Turbo mode :D

Last edited:

Auxiliary Power Supply, some are louder than others, and sometimes you have a APS isolated so it won’t make any sound, there are 2 on a 5 car and 4 on a 9 car, personally I find it annoying when you’re standing around the unit, no idea if it’s to do with a high load on them but like I say, when taking one out of the depot you can normally hear them buzzing away as you walk past even when in sleep mode.

I certainly wish there was a turbo mode when in diesel…

Samzino

Auxiliary Power Supply, some are louder than others, and sometimes you have a APS isolated so it won’t make any sound, there are 2 on a 5 car and 4 on a 9 car, personally I find it annoying when you’re standing around the unit, no idea if it’s to do with a high load on them but like I say, when taking one out of the depot you can normally hear them buzzing away as you walk past even when in sleep mode.

I certainly wish there was a turbo mode when in diesel…
Haha thanks indeed. Maybe it's because I'm not near them as much but I love APS as the 801s move off on electric, just sounds powerful.

Avanti have confirmed that the fleet rollout is delayed until sometime next year.

A fleet of 23 new Class 805 trains had been due to start replacing the 21-year-old Bombardier Super Voyager diesel trains by the end of this year.

But a spokesman for Avanti West Coast, which operates express services between the West Midlands, London and the North, said the new trains would not now be going in to service until 'some time next year'.

1D54

If no reason is given then all people are going to do 'speculate wildly'. Surely they could have come up with something, it's very disappointing and the paying punter deserves much better than this!!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
And publically blaming Unions isn't a great way to start off negotiations on a good footing, so I can understand why they don't want to state this.
I agree, but there is, of course, a difference between slating unions and simply telling the truth.

Something honest but non-provocative like "Due to limited resources/industrial action, we have been unable to complete sufficient training to introduce these trains on the previously scheduled date" would both give a truthful answer to the public and avoid using inflammatory language. :)

Last edited:

Trainbike46

Established Member
I agree, but there is, of course, a difference between slating unions and simply telling the truth.

Something honest but non-provocative like "Due to limited resources as a result of industrial action, we have been unable to complete sufficient training to introduce these trains on the previously scheduled date" would both give a truthful answer to the public and avoid using inflammatory language. :)
assuming that is in fact the reason and not delays at Hitachi (and as I understand it we don't actually know that), it would be equally accurate to state something along the lines of "Due to government interference in industrial relations, we have been unable to complete sufficient training to introduce these trains on the previously scheduled date"

Of course they wouldn't say that because it would be provocative to the government. your statement however could also be read as provocative, so better to state nothing and just try and get them in service as soon as possible. Until then the voyagers can continue to run.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
assuming that is in fact the reason and not delays at Hitachi (and as I understand it we don't actually know that), it would be equally accurate to state something along the lines of "Due to government interference in industrial relations, we have been unable to complete sufficient training to introduce these trains on the previously scheduled date"

Of course they wouldn't say that because it would be provocative to the government. your statement however could also be read as provocative, so better to state nothing and just try and get them in service as soon as possible. Until then the voyagers can continue to run.
Yes, if we don't actually know the reason best to avoid any conflict :)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Due to limited resources/industrial action, we have been unable to complete sufficient training to introduce these trains on the previously scheduled date

Which the Mail / Telegraph would headline as “New trains delayed by Union Barons”

AndrewE

Established Member
Avanti have confirmed that the fleet rollout is delayed until sometime next year.
Ho hum! Anyone betting on one token service on Dec 31st?
I really hope they keep all the voyagers until then - and keep them maintained - so that we get something like the full timetabled service for a change. If it wasn't all down to the DfT the Tories would be screaming for an enquiry into why Avanti services are so poor.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I really hope they keep all the voyagers until then - and keep them maintained - so that we get something like the full timetabled service for a change. If it wasn't all down to the DfT the Tories would be screaming for an enquiry into why Avanti services are so poor.
My bold.
Although the Voyagers are to be replaced imminently, credit to Avanti for looking after them. A favourable (to Avanti) comparison could be drawn by looking East at the state of another 22x stock being replaced by 80x - on a longer timescale.

Established Member
Are they contracted to have one in service my end of this year?
If not why would they attempt a token service?

Carlisle

Established Member
Are they contracted to have one in service my end of this year?
If not why would they attempt a token service?
Absolutely although it’d be good to see anther class 390 record attempt soon now Carstairs is finished but doubt it’ll happen.

Last edited:

43095john

805008 has been out on Test Overnight doing 2 Round trips between Newcastle/Darlington & Doncaster

Established Member
Are there any updates on the Class 807s? Not heard much about them it seems mainly the 805s.
Just 807002 which has done some overnight tests based out of Newton Aycliffe.

No other 807 has been seen at Newton Aycliffe, so no idea on state of production.

chazi898

Absolutely although it’d be good to see anther class 390 record attempt soon now Carstairs is finished but doubt it’ll happen.
I too wondered about that - they said they wanted another crack at it, although things seem a bit grim on the railway at the moment, more like chaos.
I went through Carstairs at full line speed on my way back from Glasgow a few months ago, blink and you'll miss it, so smooth.

GhostManDN91

I too wondered about that - they said they wanted another crack at it, although things seem a bit grim on the railway at the moment, more like chaos.
I went through Carstairs at full line speed on my way back from Glasgow a few months ago, blink and you'll miss it, so smooth.
I nearly forgot about that Carstairs being remodeled. Can't remember the last time I went to Glasgow/Edinburgh. What's it like passing Carstairs towards Glasgow on Avanti now compared to the previous track layout?