• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Railperf

Established Member
I would imagine it's the extra services they will be running as the current trains seem to have no issues

I'm not too sure, the FirstGroup Managing Director mentioned more drivers are being trained for resilience. I must say having an unnecessary diesel train sat in Liverpool will be a shame.
How not to run a railway - part 805. Order a new fleet of bi-mode trains to reduce CO2 and to remove diesel running 'under the wires' - which will have to run on diesel under the wires because the leccy supply has not been upgraded for them. You couldn't make it up!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danbarjon

How not to run a railway - part 805. Order a new fleet of bi-mode trains to reduce CO2 and to remove diesel running 'under the wires' - which will have to run on diesel under the wires because the leccy supply has not been upgraded for them. You couldn't make it up!!
I'd like to say it is a shambles but knowing Avanti they will make it worst probably next week they will say they are running Voyagers to Liverpool...

Mikey C

Established Member
Surely the 805s will be needed for North Wales services? What will happen to the 807s now?

Unknown. I definitely don't think they will be running in doubles as they've only got 13 and will need to split them between North Wales and Liverpool...
Presumably till supply is upgraded the 807s will cover Birmingham and Blackpool services

The Planner

Veteran Member
But LNR runs fewer services to Liverpool than it did, and all the freight uses diesel these days.
The route's power supply and feeding methods have also been expensively upgraded in recent years as part of WCRM.
800s are more hungry. WCRM didn't upgrade it all.

DJH1971

Established Member
It is quite the shambles given the big fuss of these new electric trains to Liverpool.. that'll now be a little bit diesel
And by the sound of things, the 807's won't be going to Liverpool.

They will need 2 805's for a diagram as there is going to be a lot of people standing up on just one 805.

Trainbike46

Established Member
And by the sound of things, the 807's won't be going to Liverpool.

They will need 2 805's for a diagram as there is going to be a lot of people standing up on just one 805.
note that this will be an entirely extra service, on top of the hourly pendolino, so they could just use pricing to send people towards the other service

Does anyone know when we are likely to see the first 805/807 in service. I understand that more voyagers are going off-lease from June, so presumably before then?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
note that this will be an entirely extra service, on top of the hourly pendolino, so they could just use pricing to send people towards the other service

Yes, it'd be an option to offer Advances only from Liverpool South Parkway on that one (due to that one being the one to stop there) and everything else to be walk up - I reckon that would balance the load.

JW4

Does anyone know when we are likely to see the first 805/807 in service. I understand that more voyagers are going off-lease from June, so presumably before then?

The aim at the moment is by the June timetable change.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Yes, it'd be an option to offer Advances only from Liverpool South Parkway on that one (due to that one being the one to stop there) and everything else to be walk up - I reckon that would balance the load.
Ypou can't do that - an off peak or anytime ticket is valid on any train (within the off peak times for OP), and even if no fare is offered to LSP, break of journey is allowed.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Ypou can't do that - an off peak or anytime ticket is valid on any train (within the off peak times for OP), and even if no fare is offered to LSP, break of journey is allowed.
I think the theory is that Advances won't be offered from Lime St and other stations encouraging those passengers onto the other train per hour, not that there won't be a flexible ticket.

Snow1964

Established Member
DfT has today 21st March published the West Coast Partnership contract, and on page 75 says the 221s end of lease between 01/08/23 and 30/06/24

So looks like got about 14 more weeks to get these into service and replace the 221s

page 76 has the data on 805 and 807
805 to seat 276 + wheelchair, 164 standing, First 25 + wheelchair
807 to seat 404 + wheelchair, 216 standing, First 49 + wheelchair

Lease expiry 01/04/34 with early re delivery anytime from 01/04/26

poffle

I thought the initial plan was to start with 805s on the Birmingham semi-fasts and then work on clearing 805s to North Wales.

Wonder if they're planning to swap the Brum 805s for 807s and then use the 805s for Liverpool. But there would you not be enough 805s for single 805 services to Liverpool.

( Unless they do double 805s to Liverpool via Chester. Very unlikely)

danbarjon

I've found a possible 805 allocated service to Chester in June in the AWC app.

The 10:02 London Euston to Chester is showing with Standard seats in Coach M and no seat map. I'm only guessing but this could be an 805 as there is no Coach M on the Voyagers. Nothing on the Liverpools yet.

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member

The 10:02 London Euston to Chester is showing with Standard seats in Coach M and no seat map. I'm only guessing but this could be an 805 as there is no Coach M on the Voyagers. Nothing on the Liverpools yet.
So the 807's are unlikely to be going on the Liverpool services?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member

I've found what looks very much like a double 805 (15:32 to Euston on June 10th), and it has a seat map
Double 805:
Avanti's seat picker showing two 80x units coupled.
Voyager:
Avanti's seat picker showing the front of a 221