• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pushchairs on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartacus

Established Member
With the introduction of the IET, this discussion has got somewhat more interesting owing to the wheelchair accessible spaces being located in First Class on 5-car variants. All TOCs operating this stock (to my knowledge) now operate a strict policy that the wheelchair spaces are solely for the use of wheelchair users or those using alternatives which would otherwise qualify as a wheelchair (i.e. a disabled child in an adapted pram).

This is certainly causing some conflict as I've seen parents head straight for the wheelchair spaces ("like we always do") and can't understand why they are being denied access. Quite simply - nobody who has paid for First Class travel wants to listen to three small children in buggies and if a wheelchair user needs the space, moving the buggies to a different coach means a complex process of getting them off and back on somewhere else. It's so degrading for the wheelchair user to feel like they are causing other people inconvenience, when in reality, there are two spaces out of 342 seats that they are physically able to use.

Parents - please take the above into account when using modern rolling stock. Wheelchair spaces are not always 'for everyone unless otherwise used'.

At least pushchairs are easier to move than the dumped luggage for the airport the last time I was in FC with my eldest (now out of pushchair). I don't think it being blatantly obvious that is is FC on TPE 802s helps (yep, people either don't initially clock the 2+1 seating, or don't realise the significance. Maybe it's the lack of lamps?) while I've also seen people not realise it's not a 185 and try to get through the galley to the toilet! :rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainBoy98

Having a young child (1yr) I will often leave her in the pushchair, if for no other reason than the fact there's so much stuff to carry (as well and her and the pushchair) if, for example, we're going away for a weekend. Obviously if we end up in a wheelchair space, I would instantly move to get out of the way if it was required.

However:
Quite simply - nobody who has paid for First Class travel wants to listen to three small children in buggies

Does this mean that if I pay for First Class and bring my daughter and she makes a noise, this would cause problems? I didn't realise FC was some silent utopian paradise...

pt_mad

Established Member
Trouble with parking pushchairs in wheelchair spaces, being happy to vacate should a wheelchair user board, is that this is very likely to cause delay, as a wheelchair user wouldn't be able to simply board and apply the brake. Perhaps it could take several minutes for somebody with a buggy or double buggy with children in to vacate the space and move their things and leave space between the door and the wheelchair space for the wheelchair user to board. A train could then lose its path and cause further delay or be delayed for the rest of it's journey.

Taking into account that some trains are booked only 1 or 2 minutes at some stations, express trains included. And some trains have the next one following them, not booked to stop, as close as two minutes behind.

al78

Established Member
Yet back problems or not why should the parents choice to be a parent be forced on the wheelchair user.

Leaving aside the fact that bearing children is ultimately necessary for the continuation of society, it has nothing to do with whether someone chose to have children, it comes down to who has the greatest need. The wheelchair user should get priority because it is (very likely) less cumbersome for the parent to fold the buggy and deal with the child, than a disabled person trying to find alternative transport because they can't get on the train.

Don't go down the road of trying to analyse peoples circumstances and relating them to choices, otherwise you go down the slippery slope to nasty victim blaming if you are not careful. Just don't go there.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Leaving aside the fact that bearing children is ultimately necessary for the continuation of society, it has nothing to do with whether someone chose to have children, it comes down to who has the greatest need. The wheelchair user should get priority because it is (very likely) less cumbersome for the parent to fold the buggy and deal with the child, than a disabled person trying to find alternative transport because they can't get on the train.

Don't go down the road of trying to analyse peoples circumstances and relating them to choices, otherwise you go down the slippery slope to nasty victim blaming if you are not careful. Just don't go there.
Over population is what will also lead to collapse of society , the birth rate could drop to 10% of what it is now and humanity would still survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.