• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK catchphrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This thread is for discussion about RailUK catchphrases which are in use, if you wish to discuss other catchphrases you feel should be used, feel free to start a thread in the Speculative Discussion section.

Hm. Do you want a job..?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I never understood why people say the actual word "Takt/Taktfahrplan" on here though, I mean it's just saying timetable in German. "We need Takt on this route" literally means "we need a timetable." Yes timetabling is better done in Germany, but I think some of the best footballers in the world come from Spain yet I don't say "Spurs could do with Estrategias de Entrenamiento," (means strategic training) I just say the words strategic training :lol:

Saying the word that means timetable but in German doesn't change the meaning just because German timetables are better planned than ours :lol:
Except that a taktfahrplan is not just a timetable. “Fahrplan” is a timetable in German. The “takt” is the key but: it means a regular interval timetable, ie it is the same every hour without exception.

py_megapixel

Established Member
"Gatwick Express is a brand not a TOC"
"If the fare structures are simplified, some passengers will have to pay more."

Which usually has a subtext of "I am opposed to making things simpler for the vast majority of passengers because then I might not be able to reduce the price of my journeys from St Ives to Sugar Loaf by buying 5 separate tickets".

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Except that a taktfahrplan is not just a timetable. “Fahrplan” is a timetable in German. The “takt” is the key but: it means a regular interval timetable, ie it is the same every hour without exception.
That clears that up, thank you.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

"Takt" means "tick", the tick of a clock. In Britain a clock goes "tick, tick, tick". In German speaking countries it goes "takt, takt, takt".

The implication is far more than a timetable (Fahrplan) and far more than even a clockface timetable.

It's about a system that works as one in a rhythm. Picture yourself standing at Zuerich HB under a big clock, the type where the seconds hand draws a 59 second minute then it all jumps forward. The clock ticks, and trains arrive from all directions, people interchange, it ticks again and off they go to their destinations. Then it's quiet for 15 minutes before it all happens again.

I don't think there's an English word for it, largely because no English speaking country has the transport competence to have introduced one. But if you want a sentence, "regular-interval clockface timetable with planned connections" is roughly its meaning. The idea is that everything is co-ordinated so people can make the journeys they wish to make, even if there's no direct train, easily and frictionlessly, at the same time each hour.

Rob F

Crayons or crayonista

Usually used by a smug so and so who thinks any ideas for extending the current network are patently absurd.

Urobach

Crayons or crayonista

Usually used by a smug so and so who thinks any ideas for extending the current network are patently absurd.
Often followed by the rhetorical "who's going to pay for it" or "where's the money coming from"

Crossover

Established Member
Something related to Barnes (as in, 'since when did CrossCountry call at Barnes') - hopefully you get my drift ;)

tbtc

Veteran Member
“Fresh air” And “overcrowded” (It feels like 95% of trains tend to be described as fitting one of these two categories, which suggests that some posters are either very lucky or very unlucky when it comes to getting a seat)

“Ironing boards”

“If you build it, they will come”

“DafT” (And various other childish nicknames, like “Vermin Vomiters”)

xotGD

Established Member
Mentioning "Barnes" whenever someone uses BNS as an initialism for Birmingham New Street.

"Back in the day" referring to when the railway was fun.

"Red pen"

"Yellow pen"

"Dreadful!"

"Paint froth"

Kite159

Veteran Member
Those aren’t widely used catchphrases, they’re just @Kite159 ‘s rather confusing haulage terms :lol::D

I believe "Yellow Pen" is used as a term when someone covers new track as they mark it off with a yellow highlighter (other colours are available)

"Red Pen" has been going on for years

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Those aren’t widely used catchphrases, they’re just @Kite159 ‘s rather confusing haulage terms :lol::D
I believe "Yellow Pen" is used as a term when someone covers new track as they mark it off with a yellow highlighter (other colours are available)

"Red Pen" has been going on for years
'Red pencil(ing)' for correcting a document is definitely a longer going term.

WizCastro197

Established Member
Deleted. seems to one of my most common ones somehow as well as the "Do you have a source for that" one in addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.