• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK catchphrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
But Merseyrail isn't in a German-speaking country, so it isn't an S-Bahn. :)
I think when people say that it is, what they mean is that it's the same style of service.

Introducing the S-Bahn brand (as that's fundamentally what it is) - or rather an anglicisation thereof - over here maybe wouldn't be a terrible idea though, in conjunction with some pretty major service improvements (which we all know won't happen anyway, as it's the UK). You could have some sort of advertising campaign about all the things the 'S' could stand for. (speed, simplicity, an integrated system etc.). Beats "We Mean Green" at any rate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Thameslink and Crossrail would probably also be called S-Bahn.
S-bahn systems normally have trains calling at all stations. Crossrail obviously skips some on the Reading services, but you'd certainly say it was an S-bahn. Thameslink is a mix; I suspect that the Bedford and Brighton services that don't call everywhere would be an 'RB' in Germany.

But we're getting off topic...

(Which gets us back on topic as a contribution to the subject at hand!)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not really a catchphrase, nor restricted solely to this site... but in transit circles generally there's a tendency to really get into the weeds arguing about terminology used to describe different transit systems. "System X is not really a Y" and so on.

Runningaround

''This thread has been moved'', ''This thread's been locked'' usually for the umpteenth time the subject of it has come up

Runningaround

''Miscreants'', ''Scrotes'', ''Yobbos'' or any other names to typecast anyone under 50 who uses a toilet when a guard appears, doesn't sit quietly, observe every sign, warning and railway byelaw to the letter .

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This just shows how totally unaware you are about what's really going on with these strikes. As an outsider, you shouldn't really be commenting

Starmill

Veteran Member
“Fresh air” And “overcrowded” (It feels like 95% of trains tend to be described as fitting one of these two categories, which suggests that some posters are either very lucky or very unlucky when it comes to getting a seat)
I suppose its more likely by definition that you'll be travelling on an overcrowded train than one that's not.

166208, oh it sounds like a seal again!
I've literally never heard this until just now.

Darandio

Established Member
Some of my favourites that I can think of at the moment are "166208, oh it sounds like a seal again!" and "An IET! Aww that's not 802106!"

Given the thread is about repeated catchphrases on this forum I can confidently state i've seen neither at all!

Misread it as catchphrases that you repeat

My bad

They are strange, oddly specific ones. I'm quite strange sometimes

Can I make a new suggestion of "that can of worms can stay closed"?

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
The phrase doesn't really appear, but the concept is quite common on this forum: algebraic ticketing scenarios. ("If I have an Off Peak Day Return from A to B valid only via C.....")

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
The phrase doesn't really appear, but the concept is quite common on this forum: algebraic ticketing scenarios. ("If I have an Off Peak Day Return from A to B valid only via C.....")

Or sometimes when thread titles have mainly station three letter codes, where in some instances when read out aloud can sound like the person who has posted it is suffering from constipation (I did see a thread a few years ago in the Fares Advice section, but the title was eventually modified either by the poster or the mod team).

317 forever

Established Member
This thread is for discussion about RailUK catchphrases which are in use, if you wish to discuss other catchphrases you feel should be used, feel free to start a thread in the Speculative Discussion section.
Talking of which, phrases like "if you wish to discuss so and so, feel free to start a new thread" is another UK Rail forum catchphrase.

So of course is the one about avoiding multiple posts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.