• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK catchphrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Just a nice little fun one to make us smile, what are some of the much-repeated catchphrases you’ve come to expect to see at least once in just about every thread of this iconic forum? :D

Some of them I’ve come to see very frequently are:

“Corrected that for you ;)

“Where’s the like button!”

“Would you rather a shorter train/train with no catering/air-conditioning/first class or no train at all?”

“Feel free to suggest how they can do better :rolleyes:” (about a TOC)

“Or you could just read the thread…? :rolleyes:

“Got a source for that?”

“Edit: Beat me to it! :D

It always makes me chuckle to see them re-occur again. Drop in ones you always see :D

Apologies if incorrect subforum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wheeling out (figuratively) the RailUK Forums Standard Minority, a seriously disadvantaged person who has all the protected characteristics at once, usually to find a somewhat weak way to rubbish an idea that is either likely to happen or has already happened :)

Cdd89

Established Member
“A penalty fare is NOT a fine”

“I think you’ll find” ;)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wheeling out (figuratively) the RailUK Forums Standard Minority, a seriously disadvantaged person who has all the protected characteristics at once, usually to find a somewhat weak way to rubbish an idea that is either likely to happen or has already happened :)
“They wouldn’t do it like that in Germany or Switzerland”…

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
“I‘m not sure if there’s already a thread about this…”

This is usually posted in general discussion. It’s often followed by a reply with a helpful link to the similar recent thread in the correct sub-forum…

tbtc

Veteran Member
I’ve not seen “Penryn-style solution” in the wild for a couple of years now; that used to be a standard suggestion for improving/expanding rural routes

(The Cornish station has a single platform face but can accommodate trains in each direction as the layout permits passing since the station is single track at the Falmouth end but double track on the Truro side, so the Truro to Falmouth train can sit at the northern end of the long platform whilst a Truro-bound train occupies the single track section and then heads north on the double track bit… it’s a clever way of coping with two trains on the branch without needing a footbridge/ lift etc since everything uses one platform face)

Without wanting to be seen to take sides, i sometimes click on an industrial relations thread wondering whether “gold plated” or “race to the bottom” will be mentioned first, since they seem to be stock phrases on such polarised discussions

“London cast offs”

“The good Doctor”

Foxhunter

I always enjoy '... and it would be a useful diversionary route'

Usually tacked onto an already weak case for a re-opening or electification extension.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"We're in danger of straying off-topic, but..." before someone then goes on a lengthy and (invariably) rambling discussion about something not of any direct relevance to the matter originally being discussed. :rolleyes:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
"We're in danger of straying off-topic, but..." before someone then goes on a lengthy and (invariably) rambling discussion about something not of any direct relevance to the matter originally being discussed. :rolleyes:
This is a personal favourite. Also means that I feel justified in deleting it without any warning <D

Adam Williams

Established Member
Wheeling out (figuratively) the RailUK Forums Standard Minority, a seriously disadvantaged person who has all the protected characteristics at once

And no means of payment, except for some Rail Travel Vouchers. And no phone, or other electronics - or access to a printer.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I never understood why people say the actual word "Takt/Taktfahrplan" on here though, I mean it's just saying timetable in German. "We need Takt on this route" literally means "we need a timetable." Yes timetabling is better done in Germany, but I think some of the best footballers in the world come from Spain yet I don't say "Spurs could do with Estrategias de Entrenamiento," (means strategic training) I just say the words strategic training :lol:

Saying the word that means timetable but in German doesn't change the meaning just because German timetables are better planned than ours :lol:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
"We've done this to death before"
That one is always coming up, usually when someone suggests putting Meridians on Liverpool Norwich or the West of England Line.

When people start going off-topic one can also expect to see "Just a gentle reminder..."
Or when a strike thread becomes too heated to go on: "Okay folks, I think we're done here now."
:D

I often also see
Had a senior moment there! :oops:

Last edited:

Cdd89

Established Member
“They wouldn’t do it like that in Germany or Switzerland”…
“In [Germany | Switzerland | Netherlands | France | Ireland | Japan | Hong Kong | Nordics | Italy | Spain | The USA]”…

(Ordered by how likely each country is to come up as an example of doing something rail-related better!)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I never understood why people say the actual word "Takt/Taktfahrplan" on here though, I mean it's just saying timetable in German. "We need Takt on this route" literally means "we need a timetable." Yes timetabling is better done in Germany, but I think some of the best footballers in the world come from Spain yet I don't say "Spurs could do with Estrategias de Entrenamiento," (means strategic training) I just say the words strategic training :lol:

Saying the word that means timetable but in German doesn't change the meaning just because German timetables are better planned than ours :lol:
Perhaps @Bletchleyite needs to adopt the term BR Scottish Region/ScotRail used when describing their 1982 timetable - B.I.T. (Basic Interval Timetable).

BIT is as easy to remember and type as Takt and at least is an acronym for a logical expression in English! ;)

“In [Germany | Switzerland | Netherlands | France | Ireland | Japan | Hong Kong | Nordics | Italy | Spain | The USA]”…

(Ordered by how likely each country is to come up as an example of doing something rail-related better!)
You've missed -

Northern Ireland - vertical integration/nationalisation
Belgium - regular timetable
Australia - various

Probably others ;)

headshot119

Established Member
This thread is for discussion about RailUK catchphrases which are in use, if you wish to discuss other catchphrases you feel should be used, feel free to start a thread in the Speculative Discussion section.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This thread is for discussion about RailUK catchphrases which are in use, if you wish to discuss other catchphrases you feel should be used, feel free to start a thread in the Speculative Discussion section.
I wonder how many people are going to misunderstand this and report you for “backseat moderation” :lol:

Established Member
"Sorry to be pedantic but..."

"Gatwick Express is a brand not a TOC"

Status
Not open for further replies.