• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Well Western would have been my last guess. Scotland was going to be my next guess -but yes, remember the HST issue (overheating iirc) in that long hot summer.

The other regions performance were:

Eastern 89%
London Midland 90%
Southern 92%
Scottish 92%

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Thanks. This one is not searchable on google or Wikipedia so you will need to trust me on the answer as I lived through it.

All will know that D400-449 were introduced in the late 1960s. However, they were leased from English Electric so BR did not own them. In the late 1969 one member of the class suffered fairly bad damage and as BR did not own it, the loco was sent to Crewe works for repair. I know because a group of 5 of us started spotting at the same time and we saw them all on the WCML north of Crewe except this loco because it was being repaired. We all cleared the class at the same time.

Which class member was it D4xx ?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Something is ringing a bell about D421, but I’m really not sure.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One more hit at the battleship then...
I’m going to go with D437 - The future ‘Illustrious’?

DerekC

Established Member
Which former railway terminus was built on the site of Pablo Fanque's fair? (and for no bonus at all, in which musical track is the said fair mentioned?)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Which former railway terminus was built on the site of Pablo Fanque's fair? (and for no bonus at all, in which musical track is the said fair mentioned?)
For the benefit of mr kite there will be a show tonight on trampoline. The Hendersons will all be there late of Pablo Fanque’s fair what a scene

Being a huge Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel fan - or strictly just CockneyRebel for The Psychomodo I was going to say Ritz but the fair is not mentioned just Pablo Fanque.

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
For the benefit of mr kite there will be a show tonight on trampoline. The Hendersons will all be there late of Pablo Fanque’s fair what a scene

Being a huge Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel fan - or strictly just CockneyRebel for The Psychomodo I was going to say Ritz but the fair is not mentioned just Pablo Fanque.

The quote is spot on - now to the railway terminus! (and of course a splendid time is guaranteed for all!)

SteveM70

Established Member
Fanque performed a lot in Leeds and was buried there (alongside his wife who predeceased him) so I’ll have a guess at Leeds Central

DerekC

Established Member
Neither Leeds Central nor Sheffield Victoria, I am afraid.

A clue is that you could travel there by train from the other former terminus mentioned in the lyrics.

martinsh

Established Member
OK. Here goes.

Back in the year 2000, I travelled behind a steam locomotive on an 80cm guage railway to the top of a mountain. and then returned back down by electric train. where was I ?

Calthrop

Established Member
OK. Here goes.

Back in the year 2000, I travelled behind a steam locomotive on an 80cm guage railway to the top of a mountain. and then returned back down by electric train. where was I ?

A random-ish guess -- the rack line up Monte Generoso, Switzerland? 80cm. gauge; electrified 1982, before which it was diesel-worked, this form of traction having taken over from steam in the 1950s. I understand that the line still has one steam loco, in working order, sometimes used on specials. Scenario seen, of your going up to the top on a steam special, then going back down on an ordinary regular electric working.