• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm not good on Switzerland generally -- building date no help, I'm afraid.

Reckon that "whatever", it can't be the Brienz -- Rothorn line: never electrified !

Calthrop

Established Member
Wild guess -- not knowing detailed gen about the Hauptbahnhofs -- Bonn? Open floor if correct.

xotGD

Established Member
I'm thinking it is somewhere previously divided by the border. Hence one station in the west and the other in the east.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
No, not on the border, not Berlin
Berlin has had at least two Hauptbahnhofs, but not at the same time: what is now Ostbahnhof used to be 'Hauptbahnhof'
The new Central Station opened in 2006, suggestions for naming it were sought
Mercifully, it was named 'Hauptbahnhof'

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Not Osnabrueck, although the two-level station there is interesting, apparently trains can run from OS-Top to OS-Bottom

The 'small' town sought has a team the Bundesliga

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
No, not Schalke 0-4
The full name of the football team from the town with two Hauptbahnhofs is similar to the name of the German team managed with great success by Juergen Klopp

B....

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Moenchengladbach is the right answer
Moenchengladbach Hauptbahnhof and Rheydt Hauptbahnhof are the stations, Rheydt is part of Moenchengladbach

There are plans to rename the latter station 'Moenchengladbach-Rheydt Hauptbahnhof', then it might have the longest name
The people of Rheydt insisted on keeping 'Hauptbahnhof' in the name

Over to you, 341o2

341o2

Established Member
You are right. It runs almost the entire length of the Belgium coast, some 42 miles long, and a single journey takes some 2hr 20 minutes from De Panne in the South to Knokke-Heist in the North. Usually worked in two sections, change at Ostend

Over to you

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You are right. It runs almost the entire length of the Belgium coast, some 42 miles long, and a single journey takes some 2hr 20 minutes from De Panne in the South to Knokke-Heist in the North. Usually worked in two sections, change at Ostend

Over to you

Quite a line and the only long, non-urban route that survives of a once huge secondary network of tram lines in Belgium I believe.

Question: what happened to railroad foreman Phineas Gage in 1848 and what significance does it hold today?

SteveM70

Established Member
Phileas Gage worked on the construction of the railways in America, and was involved in an accident whilst blasting that caused a metal spike of some sort to pass clean through his skull. He somehow survived and lived about another 20 years (possibly less, my memory is hazy on this bit). He became not surprisingly a bit of a cause celebre. Not sure what you mean about the significance today - that he helped shape our understanding of the role of the brain in shaping personality and mood?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Phileas Gage worked on the construction of the railways in America, and was involved in an accident whilst blasting that caused a metal spike of some sort to pass clean through his skull. He somehow survived and lived about another 20 years (possibly less, my memory is hazy on this bit). He became not surprisingly a bit of a cause celebre. Not sure what you mean about the significance today - that he helped shape our understanding of the role of the brain in shaping personality and mood?

That's it exactly and yes that is what I meant by "significance", that it increased the understanding of brain injury and personality changes related to that.

Your floor

SteveM70

Established Member
All the class 50s were named in 1978, apart from two which didn’t get named until September 1979.

Which two?

I think that 50006 Neptune was certainly one as it was the 1st refurbished of the class - not sure of the other